300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by opskmallory View Post
    Me too. I believe that .40 has the best balance of velocity and size, and has great stopping power. It's easier to shoot (my opinion), lighter to carry, and has better capacity than a .45 which would be the .40's biggest competition for effectiveness.

In my academy class of 32 cadets from 23 departments, only two departments shot something besides .40. One dept shot 9mm Glocks, and a redneck hick county Sheriff's office shoots .45 1911s (Their uniform pants are brown Wranglers, if that tells you anything )
    not all .40's have a higher mag capacity... my duty weapon is a hk usp compact (12+1)... i have a .45 xd with a 13+1 mag capacity.

Comment

.50 BMG...oh, you mean pistols..my bad...I'm a fan of .40 S&W
      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
      -Daniel Silva

Comment

I carry a .45 at work, as per agency SOP. However, I really think the .40 S&W is the way to go. Then again, anything from the 9mm/38spl (with good bullets) range up to the .45acp is more than adequate for most uses, as long as the man behind the gun does his part. Surprised nobody mentioned the .44 Special yet.
        Last edited by AMT8951; 06-11-2007, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Israeli Mossad issues .22 Berettas for their "wet jobs." No recoil, little noise in an urban setting, and one well placed shot close up takes care of business.
          That isnt a reason everyone should carry a .22.

I'd like to echo the fellow who said .357Magnum. It holds the record for most stops in a civillian setting. And its what I carry. I'd also like to plug .38spc +P. Sexy? No. But the old time revolver shooters did a heck of a job with them.

Comment

My governor prefers a 12 gauge handgun...
            Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

Originally posted by The Rabbi View Post
              Israeli Mossad issues .22 Berettas for their "wet jobs." No recoil, little noise in an urban setting, and one well placed shot close up takes care of business. That isnt a reason everyone should carry a .22.
              I've shot quite a few squirrels and rabbits with .22s, but I'd never suggest they be deployed for use as defensive weapons. I've known quite a few officers who elected to carry them because:
              1) They're small (you can put them in a pocket)
              2) They're convienent (you don't need to think about how to conceal them)
              3) They're fun to practice with (little recoil or noise)

The above doesn't qualify them as serious self defense tools. Shooting at people to defend yourself or someone else requires a caliber which provides a reasonable amount of penetration, momentum and ability to cause significant injury(s) to various vital organs protected by things like clothing, bone, other physical barriers. Cattle are slaughtered using devices similar to a .22 short caliber handguns, but I wouldn't want to be stuck in a large fenced enclosure with a mad bull and only a .22 caliber pistol to stop him! We can't choose the circumstances of defensive shooting. Because of this, we need to use something that has enough power to get the job done in a variety of circumstances. If you ask one of those officers I knew who carried a .22 (or .25) if they'd be satisfied with that weapon knowing they'd be in a gun fight, they'd all answer, "No way!" I know we can't always carry what we want, but given the option (and no one is compelled to carry a .22/.25), a well made .38/9mm/.40 or .45 is the way to go. (IMO! )
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by The Rabbi View Post
                Israeli Mossad issues .22 Berettas for their "wet jobs." No recoil, little noise in an urban setting, and one well placed shot close up takes care of business.
                That isnt a reason everyone should carry a .22.

I'd like to echo the fellow who said .357Magnum. It holds the record for most stops in a civillian setting. And its what I carry. I'd also like to plug .38spc +P. Sexy? No. But the old time revolver shooters did a heck of a job with them.
                Just my two cents worth......I'm not sure but it appears your context may be a covert assassin type scenario. If that is the case then yes, a 22 cal is an excellent choice. It is small and concealable and makes little noise. If used in a noisy, busy public setting there is a good chance the shot would either not be noticed at all or the sound would be mistaken for something other than a gunshot.

In addition, in that application the assassin would have the element of surprise so the target could be set up in regards to time and place. A close range shot to the head or even a point blank shot from the front angled up under the rib cage would likely be easily doable.

In a defensive scenario, the time, place and other variables would not be known in advance and the the element of surprise would likely be with the aggressor not the defender. In that scenario I think a .22 would be among the last calibers of choice for me.....But then that's just my 2 cents worth.
                Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

Some .22LRs are 40 gr bullets going over 1400fps at the muzzle. That is faster than most center fire cartridges. I think penetration would be just fine.
                  I am not advocating everyone carrying .22s for self protection. But for some people that is the best they are going to get and calling a .22lr worthless for self defense is just plain wrong.
                  It's ultimately a silly debate. There are so many other things that contribute to effective shooting than caliber the effects of most calibers on the result are negligible.

Comment

I carried a .45 for many years. When asked why, my favorite response was"Because they don't make a .70 that will fit my holster." The bigger the hole, the better they bleed, and the faster they reach ambiant room temperature.

Comment

.40 or .45? I like 'em both

Never attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not begin with a 4....

I love my 1911. However, can't carry it for a duty weapon (SA not authorized). I have grown fond of my .40 though and find it right up there with the .45.
                      Montana LEO
                      'Where the prairie meets the mountains"

Comment

The best out of the most commonly issued? The one you can shoot the fastest and most accurate with. I like 9mm and .45acp best, however the 9mm is my bag.
                        People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

I went from the Glock .40 to Glock .45. I have them both, but carry the .45 on duty. 2 less rounds, and the .40 doesn't do much to charging pitbulls. The 230 grain .45 round tends to shut them up quickly. We just had a couple officer involved messes, and it really doesn't matter in my opinion. 7 rounds to the chest with a .40 or 1 round to the heart with a .45, or flip that. I watched this Seal show and I think this old Seal hit the nail on the head with caliber choice. When asked why the Navy seals went back to a 9mm platform, he stated, because it has less recoil, and "When you shoot 'em twice in the chest and once in the head, they'll never know the difference."
                          This converstation comes up a lot on this board, and as a firearms instructors standpoint, what ever is comfortable to you, and get the rounds on target. .38 special and up please...no .22s They are too inconsistent from round to round. One might stick just under the skin, one my go through and through, you just don't know.
                          "All statements made shall be protected by the First Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution in which I have sworn an oath to protect."

Just don't expect me to agree with yours...

Comment

The best round, IMHO .357 mag.. It is more than proven to get the job done. However, there is no semi auto platform (handgun) that would fire it and be comfortable for all day carry (Desert eagles are just to big). I am issued a Glock 22 (40) for uniform duty carry. However, for call outs and such I have qualified with a 357 mag (Taurus Tracker 7 shot 357 mag) and can carry on duty. I am on of those old timers that would not feel under gun with revolver. In fact, I am not surprised that more Departments are not going back to revolvers, now that there are 7 shot guns out there. I have been invovled in a couple shooting and in all of them the officers had bunches of multiple shots with less bullets on target. Officers need to make round count (nowadays every round is counted for liability).
                            Let me get off the soapbox. In modern semi auto handgun, I like the 40 caliber rounds. I have carried 9mm, 40's and 45's. The 40 is a good compromise.
                            Live everyday as if it is your Last! Because someday you will be right.

Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Comment

The best caliber is the one you feel most confident in. And can shoot the best with. Round placement is far more critical than the number or weight of the round itself. My personal preference is the .40. I just feel more comfortable with it than a 9MM. And I think I shoot it better than I do a .45 .

This is just my opinion though.
                              It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by JPR View Post
                                My governor prefers a 12 gauge handgun...
                                LMAO! "Get in da choppa." lol

Why hasn't anyone mention .50AE? Nah, just kidding...

Call me old fashion, but I prefer my Kimber 1911 (45ACP). And, as far as it having too much recoil or being "hard to fire".... Man up!

IMO: The 1911's weight balances out the recoil felt by the shooter. I've fired 9mm's that had more of a "kick" than my 1911. & with a 2.5lb trigger I can blast away good controlled pairs & double taps.

I have to agree with the post above mine: "what you feel comfortable with is best"
                                Last edited by USMC1371; 06-13-2007, 06:01 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4002 users online. 273 members and 3729 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X