300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact or subcompact?

I currently carry a Glock 21 as my duty and off duty carry. It is big, bulky, and I don't wear baggy clothes so it is always exposed. Since I would like to conceal my sidearm while off duty I am looking to purchase a smaller framed pistol. I am looking at 2 semi-autos.

The Springfield Armory 4" .45 compact Here

and the SA 3" .40 subcompact Here

I like having a double stack in a subcompact so I have more rounds available without having to carry an extra magazine.

Does anyone carry either of these weapons for off duty? And what are your thoughts. Also I would like to hear about holsters for concealed carry.
    Good traffic rule of thumb - Broke down people, drive broke down cars.

The SA 4" hardly sounds like a compact concealable pistol to me. The logical move, given your duty weapon, is the Glock 30, the subcompat version of your 21.
    For holsters, I like the IWB holster for holding the gun in close and concealability. I wouldnt scrimp on buying one either because a cheap IWB is an ugly thing.

Comment

Considering how large the model 21 Glock is a 4" compact is a much smaller gun.

I am looking at the SA XD line because a bunch of the guys at work have the SA XD and they love them. More then their Glocks!

I am leaning toward the subcompact...Just wanted additional opinions.

Comment

Stick with the same caliber...the extra inch doesn't mean anything............or so my wife keeps telling me.
        "All statements made shall be protected by the First Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution in which I have sworn an oath to protect."

Just don't expect me to agree with yours...

Comment

How did you convince your wife of that...

Comment

I love my SA XD subcompact .40. Conceals well and shoots like a dream.
            Road Captain
            Blue Knights TX XIX

Comment

i almost always carry a S&W model 60 revolver off duty, especially in the summer. i have slim open backstrap grips on it so it conceals very well in shorts and a t-shirt.
              -Sean

Comment

Originally posted by southga View Post
                How did you convince your wife of that...

I showed her how big an inch was and she laughed.....that was the first divorce..... j/k
                "All statements made shall be protected by the First Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution in which I have sworn an oath to protect."

Just don't expect me to agree with yours...

Comment

Originally posted by Depco164 View Post
                  Considering how large the model 21 Glock is a 4" compact is a much smaller gun.

I am looking at the SA XD line because a bunch of the guys at work have the SA XD and they love them. More then their Glocks!

I am leaning toward the subcompact...Just wanted additional opinions.
                  I agree with the guys you work with that love the XD's. I have two XD's and they both shoot circles around any Glock Ive owned or fired which is about every model Glock. But on the issue of concealed carry if you want to use the same ammo as your duty G21 Id go with the Glock 36 the slim line seven shot. However if you dont care about using the same caliber definately go with the XD Subcompact in 40 or 9mm. They are way noticably smaller in size but shoot like a full size duty gun. Excellent pistol the XD. The last one I got a couple of months ago was the Tactical XD 14shot 45acp and I swear that thing shoots as good as a couple of 1911 high dollar raceguns I own.
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I'd get the same caliber so you don't have to go and buy a ton of different types of rounds. And, depending on the weapon, you can use the same magazines. I'm getting my Springfield XD subcompact .40 once they're off of friggin backorder. I've shot both Glock and an XD, while I like Glock, XD is my favorite. But I am by no means an expert.

As far as a holster, I just ordered http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/prod...products_id=44 last night.
                    Complete write up of the process with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) - http://forums.officer.com/t187923/

Comment

Originally posted by Depco164 View Post
                      I currently carry a Glock 21 as my duty and off duty carry. It is big, bulky, and I don't wear baggy clothes so it is always exposed. Since I would like to conceal my sidearm while off duty I am looking to purchase a smaller framed pistol. I am looking at 2 semi-autos.

The Springfield Armory 4" .45 compact Here

and the SA 3" .40 subcompact Here

I like having a double stack in a subcompact so I have more rounds available without having to carry an extra magazine.

Does anyone carry either of these weapons for off duty? And what are your thoughts. Also I would like to hear about holsters for concealed carry.

check out the para ordanance warthawg .45
                      its compact, and very acurate. it is a double stack (holds 10 rounds) i love mine
                      Last edited by saintsfan71; 06-22-2007, 10:33 PM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

extra mag

Depco, You said that you wanted a gun with the extra rounds so you would not have to worry about the extra magazine. I doubt you will ever shoot all of your rounds in a self defense situation but I would carry the extra mag just in case I had a jam of some sort. If you have a double feed you are going to have to strip the mag in the gun and insert your extra mag. Course you could go old school like me and carry a 357 mag revolver off duty with a couple of speed loaders.

Comment

Originally posted by bullseye48
                          Course you could go old school like me and carry a 357 mag revolver off duty with a couple of speed loaders.
                          Only problem with that is that I want to conceal the weapon. I know some people say you can conceal a revolver/large semiauto. But I don't wish to dress around a large gun, which is why I want a compact or subcompact.

Thanks to those who posted here.

Comment

I'd go as small as I was confortable with. Wouldn't worry about the same ammo, but that's me....I've got handguns in five or six calibers.

My buddy loves his Springfield XD, but to me that would be too large to carry.

Better a .22 in your pocket than a .45 on your nightstand.
                            "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6252 users online. 332 members and 5920 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X