Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Recommendation for OWB Double Retention Holster (Glock 17/19)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Recommendation for OWB Double Retention Holster (Glock 17/19)

The agency I'm starting with requires a retention holster (level II I think). I'd appreciate any recommendations. As a current civilian, I normally carry my Glock 19 in a Ritchie CQ-QR, for reference. I'd like something adjustable to that height. I won't need a cant though, because I'll be wearing a vest/jacket. So far, I'm looking primarily at the Blackhawk T-series L2C or the Safariland MODEL 7367 7TS ALS/SLS.
    Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 11-17-2020, 11:36 PM.

Do I understand that you'll be working for a non-uniformed agency?

Safariland sets the standard for uniform duty security holsters. Their concealment gear is solid, but often not all that concealable. Depending on assignment and agency standards, that may not be an issue for you. While I couldn't find the specific model you mention on their website (which may be my or the website's issue), I think Safariland would be a good choice.

Blackhawk seems to be stepping up their game, but I would find some objective reviews of their product before investing in the holster.

Congratulations on your appointment and good luck with your purchase.
    John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by John from Maryland View Post
      Do I understand that you'll be working for a non-uniformed agency?

Safariland sets the standard for uniform duty security holsters. Their concealment gear is solid, but often not all that concealable. Depending on assignment and agency standards, that may not be an issue for you. While I couldn't find the specific model you mention on their website (which may be my or the website's issue), I think Safariland would be a good choice.

Blackhawk seems to be stepping up their game, but I would find some objective reviews of their product before investing in the holster.

Congratulations on your appointment and good luck with your purchase.
      Thanks. Yes, it's non-uniformed agency, probation officer. I should have put that in my initial post, my mistake there.

The district policy is to carry concealed, under a jacket or vest. I've looked a bit at the Safariland concealment line of holsters, instead of the duty holsters. The holster finder feature on their site isn't working well for me either. I've owned one of their concealment holsters in the past and noticed that it wasn't all that concealable and that it printed a lot. I may need to adjust the wardrobe though, which I can do.

Comment

They won't be issuing you a holster? I think I have been issued 5 or 6 with my job and that's in 4 years. Just got one today in fact. That said I have a Tap Rack kydex holster I bought on my own. I run that for my concealment holster. I use the ALS holsters from the agency for enforcement ops.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          They'll issue me a holster but another probation officer told me that most people want to use their own holster. I will check out the Tap Rack, looks good.

• 9L81
          9L81 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's just a semi local kydex manufacturer. I think they are in Fresno. One of the local cop shops carries their stuff. I've been happy with it but as far as kydex goes there are tons of options. Friend of mine who is a local here got a custom IWB from Alex and Ryan designs (ANR design?) that he uses off duty most of the time. He has been a cop for about 17 years and has been through tons of on and off duty options and that is what he has been going with for a while now.

My thought would be to or observe what everyone else uses at the agency. Granted, many probation/parole agencies are not cutting edge tactical, but that may give you some ideas. Additionally, the retention level system seems to have been perhaps inadvertently created by Safariland just to define their holster selection. Level 2 in your agency's mind might be friction fit coupled with a thumb-break. That was my choice when I wore a soft uniform as an academy instructor. That said, I was going to lunch across the street rather than telling probationers they were going back to jail. YMMV.
        John from Maryland

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point there. I'll see what other people are using. I know my district is more law enforcement oriented than most, but still not totally sure where they are on the spectrum. I don't think they do arrests very often, compared to state agencies.

Just curious, what thumb-break holster did you use at the academy?

Thanks again for the info.

I used a faux-leather Safariland thumb-break pancake holster. Since my instructor days, Safariland has discontinued that under the Safariland brand, but similar holsters are available from their Bianchi division (as well as most leather holster makers).
        John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Winter_Patriot View Post

Thanks. Yes, it's non-uniformed agency, probation officer. I should have put that in my initial post, my mistake there.

The district policy is to carry concealed, under a jacket or vest. I've looked a bit at the Safariland concealment line of holsters, instead of the duty holsters. The holster finder feature on their site isn't working well for me either. I've owned one of their concealment holsters in the past and noticed that it wasn't all that concealable and that it printed a lot. I may need to adjust the wardrobe though, which I can do.
          What's the issue with you all carrying open while you're on duty?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            As far as I know, that's the policy of every US Probation Office district in the US. I've only seen them open carry while doing an enforcement action.

• Levithane
            Levithane commented
            Editing a comment
            Because the general job of probation and parole is to supervise and keep tabs on an offender, in contrast to enforcing law (unless they're executing a warrant or something along those lines). My agency is the same way, we don't enforce laws, we can issue warrants (we don't execute them, other LE agencies do). Carrying is optional, you have to go through a lot of hoops to be able to carry, and you always have to carry concealed. Part of the reason is that they don't want the offenders seeing a weapon on you, and its another thing for them to go for when you have to break the bad news to them they're getting written up, and going to be suffering disciplinary consequences.

• scotty_appleton814
            scotty_appleton814 commented
            Editing a comment
            I admit my experience with parole and probation is limited. Illinois DOC parole officers carry on a duty belt. So that is all I know, I've never worked with federal probation and parole.

• Levithane
            Levithane commented
            Editing a comment
            Its dependent on the state, in a lot of states Parole and Probation go through peace officer training on top of the Parole or Probation training. In other states they also have them arresting the offender, executing warrants, on top of supervising the offender. Where I work we don't do any of that we go through somewhere around 4-6 weeks of training, and then you're on your own. I don't have experience with how other states do it, but depending on how high your case load is doing the enforcement aspect, and supervising the offender sounds like too much. Just for discussion sake Parole officers at my office supervise 75+ offenders, in some other offices they are supervising close to 150, and that is per officer.

The only brand worth using is safariland.

Comment

I’ll jump on the “ask what everyone else uses” bandwagon. A concealable holster with level 2 or 3 retention isn’t that common.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Look at the Safariland ALS or GLS holster. They have belt loop or paddle types available. You may have to look at a site other than Safariland to get a quicker view.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3864 users online. 229 members and 3635 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X