X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ofcp2
    replied
    Originally posted by 97ss150 View Post
    ive used my daly for a while as well. lots of rounds through it and never an issue. even shooting nasty wolf ammo at the range. i had a lil ramp work done when i first bought it and never and issue. hope to get something good soon but ive never had even a jam in this weapon.
    I see someone has stolen my avatar, well we share it .

Leave a comment:

• ofcp2
    replied
    Originally posted by KenW. View Post
    The ones I'd stay from are Charles Daly, S&W, Taurus, in otherwords; the companies newer to the production of 1911s.

I personaly like my Colt and Kimber. I would not hesitate to carry a Wilson, Springfield, STI, or Nighthawk either.

Your answer lies somewhere in here: http://forums.1911forum.com/
    I say you are wrong, I have a Taurus 1911, and I will put it up against any 1911 you have, and I assure you I will smoke you and my Taurus will prevail flawlessly.

Leave a comment:

• toasterlocker
    replied
    Originally posted by j706 View Post
    A few years ago I plunked down some serious money(Serious money for me) for a Para Lda. I absolutely hated that gun, the trigger reset was loooonggg! I just could not get used to that weapon. I was always trained to keep the trigger back after the shot (follow through) and the reset was like pulling the trigger again-backwards. Nice weapon other than that, the guy I sold it to loves it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I still say it's awfully hard to beat the Kimber TLE II But there again, that' s just a opinion. I do love the 1911's however-a very good safe and powerfull platform IMO
    That is because you got the LDA. Para now makes traditional single action, single stack 1911s that are just as good, if not better than any Kimber, Springfield, Colt, or other makers with comparable pricing.

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
    What? Para makes GREAT traditional (REAL) 1911s. They aren't all the LDA trigger, double stack style. Terrific quality for the fraction of what a Wilson costs.

Wilsons are hardly worth the HUGE price increase. Sure, they might be the best, but that doesn't mean you would go buy a Bentley instead of a BMW.
    A few years ago I plunked down some serious money(Serious money for me) for a Para Lda. I absolutely hated that gun, the trigger reset was loooonggg! I just could not get used to that weapon. I was always trained to keep the trigger back after the shot (follow through) and the reset was like pulling the trigger again-backwards. Nice weapon other than that, the guy I sold it to loves it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I still say it's awfully hard to beat the Kimber TLE II But there again, that' s just a opinion. I do love the 1911's however-a very good safe and powerfull platform IMO

Leave a comment:

• toasterlocker
    replied
    Originally posted by hbliam View Post
    Nothing better then a Wilson. If there was they wouldn't all be using Wilson mags to make them work.

And whoever said Para hasn't shot a real 1911.
    What? Para makes GREAT traditional (REAL) 1911s. They aren't all the LDA trigger, double stack style. Terrific quality for the fraction of what a Wilson costs.

Wilsons are hardly worth the HUGE price increase. Sure, they might be the best, but that doesn't mean you would go buy a Bentley instead of a BMW.

Leave a comment:

• acso_reserve
    replied
    There's a lot of opinions on which 1911 is good or bad. To me, the 1911 that feeds and ejects without problems, goes BANG when I pull the trigger, and doesn't fall apart doing either of those things is the best one to get!

Leave a comment:

• hbliam
    replied
    Nothing better then a Wilson. If there was they wouldn't all be using Wilson mags to make them work.

And whoever said Para hasn't shot a real 1911.

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    I carried one of their "Double 9" pistols as a backup for a while years ago. Very unreliable and (IMO) poor quality control.

Leave a comment:

• Austin HiPowers
    replied
    Is there anybody with experience with the Detonics 1911. I am very curious.

Leave a comment:

• 97ss150
    replied
    ive used my daly for a while as well. lots of rounds through it and never an issue. even shooting nasty wolf ammo at the range. i had a lil ramp work done when i first bought it and never and issue. hope to get something good soon but ive never had even a jam in this weapon.

Leave a comment:

• Enikad
    replied
    Kimber, hands down in my opinion. Loved the Kimbers I played with, if i had the money in my wallet, at the same time i had a place in my heart for the TLE's, Royals, and Warriors I fired, I'd 'ave bought them on the spot.

However one 1911 has a super special soft spot for me since no matter when, where, or what conditions I've never shot outside of the 9 ring with them, always tight awesome groups, so comfy too, has a real tight fit in the hands. I speak of course for the Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec, best 1911 I've ever fired.

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by acso_reserve View Post
    I'm not a 1911 expert, but I've owned, shot, and carried several over the years, and done a lot of reading and experimentation with them. My goal has always been to reliably shoot not only ball but jacketed hollow points through my weapons.

If anyone wants to know why I prefer 7 round, dimpled follower 1911 magazines, its because that is what John Browning designed for the gun, and designed it to work. The dimple retards the forward movement of the last round. Its not original to the design - the original magazine design had a flat follower, but John Browning added the dimple to correct the problem of the last round failing to feed.

Also, most 8 round magazines actually use the tube of a 7 round magazine but use a much shorter spring (see Tripp Research's web page at http://www.trippresearch.com/product...de/upgrade.htm) for a comparison of the spring length. So right off the bat, you've got a shorter spring to feed all cartridges into the chamber. Some of these shorter springs are also more likely to take a set and reduce power (Chip McCormick Shooting Stars have done this to me.) Having the longer spring of a 7 round magazine will ensure more reliable feeding.

Years ago I got my first 1911, a Colt Series 80. It came with one magazine (a 7 round Colt magazine) and I purchased two genuine military surplus magazines for it at a gun show. BTW, many of the "military surplus" 1911 magazines for sale these days are modern made fakes, and do not work reliably. I never had a problem with any of those magazines feeding all 7 rounds without any hiccups.

In the late 1990s, I tried some of the 8 round magazines, and found a lot to be desired, mostly because of the affore mentioned flat follower and shorter spring. I would have feeding problems in guns that had fed reliably with 7 round Colt Style. The Chip McCormick 8 round magazines worked reliably with 7 rounds loaded when new. After they got older, the springs took a set and I started to have the infamous last round feeding issues. For the record, I've never used Wilson 47d magazines, however many of the folks that I've talked with or read posts by on the 1911 forum have and experienced last round feeding issues with a variety of 1911s - Les Baer, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, et al, due to the flat follower that the Wilsons use.

Shortly before I stepped down as a reserve deputy (due to family reasons), one of the jailers was trying to qualify with a 1911 using 8-round flat follower magazines. He had so many feeding problems that he was stopped and told to try to qual again after he bought new magazines or with a different weapon.

In my experience, and again I'm not an expert, the one magazine that has fed reliably in a variety of 1911s is the original design - a dimpled follower, 7 round magazine made by Colt. These days, Colt subcontracts their magazines out, either to Okay or Checkmate Industries. I've been told that the Checkmates are better then the Okay's because they use better springs. Also, all my 1911 magazines use an 11 pound Wolff spring, and I've never had a problem.

If you want more information on magazines, go to the forums page of www.m1911.org, and check out the magazines sub forum. Look for posts by a fella named 1911tuner. He's a 1911 gunsmith, and he has forgotten more about 1911s then I'll we'll ever know. He's the main one that preaches the 7 round, dimpled follower 1911 magazine.

YMMV, but the one magazine that has consistently worked for me has been the Browning designed 7-round, dimpled follower model. I'll always trade one round for reliability with the other seven!
    I don't doubt you on all that, however I have NEVER had a malfunction of any sort with Wilson 8 round mags. I carry four of them for duty. They are a little pricey though.

Leave a comment:

• KenW.
    replied
    Some will consider it sacrilage, but I am a believer in the 47D. No, it is NOT in Browning's original design, but niether is the thumb safety, mag wells, bushingless barrels, wrap around grips, or good sights.

It's like saying the Mustang was not Henry Ford's original design, so we should all drive Model Ts.

I'm more of a purest than some, but: If one can improve on something, why not make it available? There are even (gasp) widebody polymer frames out there now.
    Last edited by KenW.; 06-27-2007, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• acso_reserve
    replied
    I'm not a 1911 expert, but I've owned, shot, and carried several over the years, and done a lot of reading and experimentation with them. My goal has always been to reliably shoot not only ball but jacketed hollow points through my weapons.

If anyone wants to know why I prefer 7 round, dimpled follower 1911 magazines, its because that is what John Browning designed for the gun, and designed it to work. The dimple retards the forward movement of the last round. Its not original to the design - the original magazine design had a flat follower, but John Browning added the dimple to correct the problem of the last round failing to feed.

Also, most 8 round magazines actually use the tube of a 7 round magazine but use a much shorter spring (see Tripp Research's web page at http://www.trippresearch.com/product...de/upgrade.htm) for a comparison of the spring length. So right off the bat, you've got a shorter spring to feed all cartridges into the chamber. Some of these shorter springs are also more likely to take a set and reduce power (Chip McCormick Shooting Stars have done this to me.) Having the longer spring of a 7 round magazine will ensure more reliable feeding.

Years ago I got my first 1911, a Colt Series 80. It came with one magazine (a 7 round Colt magazine) and I purchased two genuine military surplus magazines for it at a gun show. BTW, many of the "military surplus" 1911 magazines for sale these days are modern made fakes, and do not work reliably. I never had a problem with any of those magazines feeding all 7 rounds without any hiccups.

In the late 1990s, I tried some of the 8 round magazines, and found a lot to be desired, mostly because of the affore mentioned flat follower and shorter spring. I would have feeding problems in guns that had fed reliably with 7 round Colt Style. The Chip McCormick 8 round magazines worked reliably with 7 rounds loaded when new. After they got older, the springs took a set and I started to have the infamous last round feeding issues. For the record, I've never used Wilson 47d magazines, however many of the folks that I've talked with or read posts by on the 1911 forum have and experienced last round feeding issues with a variety of 1911s - Les Baer, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, et al, due to the flat follower that the Wilsons use.

Shortly before I stepped down as a reserve deputy (due to family reasons), one of the jailers was trying to qualify with a 1911 using 8-round flat follower magazines. He had so many feeding problems that he was stopped and told to try to qual again after he bought new magazines or with a different weapon.

In my experience, and again I'm not an expert, the one magazine that has fed reliably in a variety of 1911s is the original design - a dimpled follower, 7 round magazine made by Colt. These days, Colt subcontracts their magazines out, either to Okay or Checkmate Industries. I've been told that the Checkmates are better then the Okay's because they use better springs. Also, all my 1911 magazines use an 11 pound Wolff spring, and I've never had a problem.

If you want more information on magazines, go to the forums page of www.m1911.org, and check out the magazines sub forum. Look for posts by a fella named 1911tuner. He's a 1911 gunsmith, and he has forgotten more about 1911s then I'll we'll ever know. He's the main one that preaches the 7 round, dimpled follower 1911 magazine.

YMMV, but the one magazine that has consistently worked for me has been the Browning designed 7-round, dimpled follower model. I'll always trade one round for reliability with the other seven!

Leave a comment:

• jwise
    replied
    Well, other than the last poster, the common wisdom is to use Wilson 47D magazines in your 1911s. They are the best I've found. They cost $25 each, or at least they used to.

I have Springield and Kimber, and both are VERY reliable.
    Last edited by jwise; 06-27-2007, 12:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5360 users online. 338 members and 5022 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X