Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best 1911

who makes the best/most reliable 1911 in your opinion

The ones I'd stay from are Charles Daly, S&W, Taurus, in otherwords; the companies newer to the production of 1911s.

I personaly like my Colt and Kimber. I would not hesitate to carry a Wilson, Springfield, STI, or Nighthawk either.

Your answer lies somewhere in here: http://forums.1911forum.com/
    Last edited by KenW.; 05-29-2007, 10:22 AM.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I have a S&W 1911sc. I have a few thousand rounds through it and never had a single malfunction. I think it's one of the best values out there right now.

If you can afford it, I think Wilson and Nighthawk are considered to be some of the best.

Comment

Nighthawk Custom!!!!!!!! I've got a GRP II (Commander sized, 4.25" bbl) and carry it for duty and off duty. Extremely well made, but it probably doesn't do anything a good Colt, Springfield, or Kimber would do cheaper. Also, the gun is only as reliable as it's magazines. Get good ones and test them.
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Do not stay away from the Taurus pt1911. It is a great version of the classic weapon system! Yes I own one, and I have brought it to my pistol smith for his opinion. He says it is a well built, quality product. It shoots very good, and is as accurate as any Para, Springfield, Colt, or Kimber I have shot(yes I have shot all these too.).

Do stay away from the Charles Daily, or any other foreign built 1911, the metal is inferior, especially if built in the Philippines.
          Do the right thing, even when no one is watching

Comment

I have always been a 1911 fan and as a result have had the privilege to own many different brands over the years. From a $2000.00 Wilson to a $400.00 Springfield Basic GI. All have been good shooting reliable pistols. Sure some looked and felt better than others. Bottom line they all did what they were supposed to do. At this time I carry a Kimber TLE II as my duty weapon. $850.00 new with most all the tricks. It will do most everything the $2000.00 Wilson will do for less than half the money. Never had even a single malfunction. ( Buy Wilson MAgs) It's all about personnel preferences. I am looking forward to getting one of the new Taurus 1911's someday (if/ when I can scrape up the cash)
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by sorral View Post
              Do not stay away from the Taurus pt1911. It is a great version of the classic weapon system! Yes I own one, and I have brought it to my pistol smith for his opinion. He says it is a well built, quality product. It shoots very good, and is as accurate as any Para, Springfield, Colt, or Kimber I have shot(yes I have shot all these too.).
              Our range staff got a Taurus and shot the **** out of it. Very reliable, very good package for a very good price. If you're looking for a good working pistol with a few bells and whistles thrown in for a very good price, it's worth considering.
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I carry the Taurus on duty....It is a great gun. You just can't find a better weapon in that price range. I have always been a big 1911 fan and have owned several different models. I was skeptical when it came to the Taurus, but I am glad I bought it. It honestly shoots just as good, if not better, than some of the bigger name 1911's I have had. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

I recently bought a stainless Kimber TLE RL II as my first 1911. I can't carry it on duty (I carry a Glock 21), but I love the Kimber. I would carry it on duty if allowed to do so. I've done a lot of research, and like previously stated, you really can't go wrong with a Kimber or Springfield. Also, I've heard nothing but good things about the new Taurus. If price is not an isssue, just get a Wison .

Comment

Originally posted by mdbdmb41 View Post
                    I recently bought a stainless Kimber TLE RL II as my first 1911. I can't carry it on duty (I carry a Glock 21), but I love the Kimber. I would carry it on duty if allowed to do so. I've done a lot of research, and like previously stated, you really can't go wrong with a Kimber or Springfield. Also, I've heard nothing but good things about the new Taurus. If price is not an isssue, just get a Wison .
                    Agreed. Probation Officer here in Nor Cal. Until 4 years ago we were allowed to carry a 1911 on duty. I carried my Kimber Pro Carry II...loved it and still love it. Great weapon. I carry it off-duty now. We're now forced to carry the G22 or 23. Our Firearms Instructor and Chief made the switch based on the BS theory of "carrying cocked and locked" is dangerous...and to keep our weapon platform the same for all officers (which I can understand...the ability to utilize fellow PO's mags when the shi+ hits the fan makes sense). Anyway, love my G22...but not as much as my Kimber!

Comment

Ed Brown without a doubt. For regular commercial grades I suggest S&W, Colt, and Springfield Armory. As for Kimbers here's an interesting thread at 1911.org Kimber quality?
                      People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

Originally posted by jdlong View Post
                        Agreed. Probation Officer here in Nor Cal. Until 4 years ago we were allowed to carry a 1911 on duty. I carried my Kimber Pro Carry II...loved it and still love it. Great weapon. I carry it off-duty now. We're now forced to carry the G22 or 23. Our Firearms Instructor and Chief made the switch based on the BS theory of "carrying cocked and locked" is dangerous...and to keep our weapon platform the same for all officers (which I can understand...the ability to utilize fellow PO's mags when the shi+ hits the fan makes sense). Anyway, love my G22...but not as much as my Kimber!
                        Some of the brass seem to "not have a clue" They will approve a Glock that requires nothing more than a trigger pull and call a 1911 dangerous!! JEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ I read once about someone who was asked if a cocked and locked 1911 was dangerous, his reply was something like "hell if it wasn't dangerous I wouldn't be carrying it" !!
                        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ken W. I have had a Charles Daly for five years and once I figured out that it did not like a certain type of ammo and I stopped using it I have had ZERO problems with it. I would like to have a Springfield, Kimber, Para, Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. But for now the Charles Daly will do. Thousands of rounds and no problems so far.
                          Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win

Comment

I figured out that it did not like a certain type of ammo and I stopped using it

The "best" 1911 must digest ALL ammo it is fed. For my agency we are issued specific ammo (230 gr. Gold Dot), we have no choice of duty ammo. If your weapon is not reliable with the ammo issued, you cannot carry it as a duty weapon. No room for finicky eaters. We had issues with several personal weapons when we switched from Hyda-Shoks to the Gold Dot. My Colt included. A little feed-ramp work and replacement springs brought it back to 100%.

If a CD will behave properly with all ammo, perfect. Stay with it. I'll still stay away from most makes that do not have a proven track record of high quality with their 1911s.

Some people might say that Kimbers don't fit that catagory... Mine does. If you have a Daly that fits; Use it and press on with a smile.
                            I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Taurus 1911

I just got my Taurus 1911 blue, I am very pleased with it in fact I am going to carry it on duty. It shoots great groups at 25 yards and no malfunctions so far.I am looking at the Taurus 24/7 in .40 Taurus has come a long way.
                              Follow me!

Let your conscience be your guide!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5464 users online. 341 members and 5123 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X