Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically, all handgun rounds, within reason, can and will kill someone. I'm not talking about rat shot and other ultra light offerings. If you watch Joe Kenda shoes, many of the murders occurred with the .380 caliber pistols. A .380 basically is a 9mm rounds missing some weight, and for that matter, a .357 Sig is basically a fast moving 9mm.

As mentioned above, the 9mm got a bad reputation over the years compared to larger and more 'powerful' pistol cartridges. Over the years, bullet designers/manufacturers developed more effective rounds where doctors see similar amount of trauma as the historically more 'powerful' and larger calibers.

The advantages of the 9mm over larger diameter cartridges is higher magazine capacity for the same size magazine, lighter recoil, greater firearm longevity, less cost and a wide range of loads just to name some off of the top of my bald head.

I'm thinking about going into the reserves at my local sheriff's office, and depending on caliber of their handguns in policy, I most certainly would/will get a 9mm if allowed EVEN if larger calibers are allowed. I've several .40 calibers for almost my entire career, and I've always felt confident that it would take care of me. I feel the same way now with 9mm....IF I was allowed to carry known effective cartridges.

Comment

The way my firearms instructor explained it was during a firefight you're likely going to fire several rounds in rapid succession. The more rounds that hit the target the better chance of taking the threat out.

Comment

I am a current FI. We use 9mm and had the opportunity to go-to a Glock event and compare 9mm to .40... Being almost even, with larger closer to entry cavitation on the 9mm. We did tests through heavy clothing as well as glass also. From the top it is about even, but from the sides 9mm gets the edge. There's a reason why most agencies are going to 9mm, as all mentioned above... But the round development within the past 20 years has made it comparable or better than most.

Comment

For what it’s worth, I carry the old Federal 9BPLE +P+ round as my duty round.

It was popular 30+ (?) years ago. It’s not the latest and greatest, but it is a solid performer with street history, and it’s cheap enough to shoot for practice.

I’m not too worried.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

After the FBI Miami disaster in '86, they held a wound ballistics conference which resulted in the 'FBI Protocol' for testing ammo. Since all ammo of all calibers is tested the exact same way, and they all meet the same standard for expansion, depth of cavity, and volume of cavity, they all work about the same.
            But the guns are cheaper, the ammo is cheaper (when available), and with less recoil and blast, qualification scores are higher.

In addition, the FBI failed a number of smaller statured trainees with 10 & 40 guns. Some of them hired an outside instructor, who let them shoot 9mm - they all qualified. They sued the FBI - and won. The Judge ruled that one size gun does NOT fit all.

I have carried, in the course of my career, .38 SPL +P+, .357 Mag, .45 JHP, and 9mm JHP. These days I usually carry a custom made 9mm.
            With modern ammo, it's all good.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

.50 black powder mini ball... Works.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Yes, but the reload is slow if there are 2 or more of them.
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4571 users online. 268 members and 4303 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X