Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to expect on my first trip to the range

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What to expect on my first trip to the range

    Ok, here is the deal: I have no experience shooting handguns. Soon, I am going to the range for the first time. I have some questions that you guys will undoubtedly be able to answer. Will it be a problem that I don't have any handgun experience? When I tell the employees this, will they show me what I need to know? What gun should I rent (Glock, Springfield, Ruger) and what caliber? Thanks for the help and let me know if you have any other sage advice or words of wisdom.

  • #2
    ask around before you go anywhere. My first trip the employees were really mean and rude to me. I had some experience before just not at their range it was my departments and they treated me really bad.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would suggest shooting a 22 first, to get the feel for it then move onto what fits your hand the best. Also the range here won't let you rent a lane if it's your first time, they make you take a course not sure how it will be where you are going but just be aware.

      Comment


      • #4
        ^^ True to that last bit about renting. Alot of shops want you experienced. Plus, have your FOID? That's required. Like was said, start with a very low caliber gun if possible and then move up. Most departments I've seen issue 9mm, .40 and .45's. 9mm would be best to learn to qualify with IMO as it's more middle of the road. The higher calibers will usually have a bigger kick too.
        Good luck.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for all of your help, guys! I really appreciate it!

          Comment


          • #6
            You might want to consider taking a basic firearms familiarization and safety course like those put on by the NRA. They cover basic firearms operation and safety and are a good first step before going to the range. Most of the time, range operators expect that someone going to shoot is at least passingly familiar with firearms or has someone who is showing them the ropes.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree that the 9mm is probably the best to start on. Also start on a fullsize gun, not a 22 or a sub-compact. Best bet, if you're interested in getting into law enforcement, is it just wait until the academy. However, if you have a long wait obviously I can understand not wanting to.

              Comment


              • #8
                Expect mass panic and chaos. There will probably be a guy about 6'7" 280lbs wearing dark aviator style sunglasses and a smokey the bear hat standing behind the shooters. He periodically will be yelling incoherrently about "sappers in the wire" and "click the claymores" in as loud of and hoarse voice as his lungs and vocal cords can tolerate. This of course freaks everyone out and they all turn around in mid shooting to see what the screaming is about, thus letting rounds off loosely in every which direction, sending the smart ones diving for cover behind the partitions. This is of course why you have to sign the waiver prior to toeing the line. My only advice is this: wear kevlar. Best of luck to you.
                Last edited by R12GS; 05-18-2007, 01:53 AM.
                People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by R12GS View Post
                  Expect mass panic and chaos. There will probably be a guy about 6'7" 280lbs wearing dark aviator style sunglasses and a smokey the bear hat standing behind the shooters. He periodically will be yelling incoherrently about "sappers in the wire" and "click the claymores" in as loud of and hoarse voice as his lungs and vocal cords can tolerate. This of course freaks everyone out and they all turn around in mid shooting to see what the screaming is about, thus letting rounds off loosely in every which direction, sending the smart ones diving for cover behind the partitions. This is of course why you have to sign the waiver prior to toeing the line. My only advice is this: wear kevlar. Best of luck to you.
                  LOL too much caffine??

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by C/O-Rubincan View Post
                    ask around before you go anywhere. My first trip the employees were really mean and rude to me. I had some experience before just not at their range it was my departments and they treated me really bad.
                    I agree. People who frequent the private gun ranges are very cliqish. They want you to support the second amendment, join the NRA, but treat new gun owners like crap, only wanting you to know that they're super gun experts and know more than you do.
                    The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by aftermath View Post
                      ^^ True to that last bit about renting. Alot of shops want you experienced. Plus, have your FOID? That's required. Like was said, start with a very low caliber gun if possible and then move up. Most departments I've seen issue 9mm, .40 and .45's. 9mm would be best to learn to qualify with IMO as it's more middle of the road. The higher calibers will usually have a bigger kick too.
                      Good luck.

                      Actually he does not need an FOID card as that is just an Illinois thing. Hopefully we will get rid of that silly requirement. In Michigan they just need to get their pistol inspected for "safety" reasons. Its really registration.

                      Either way I would suggest taking an NRA course or going with a more experienced shooter. The idea of shooting a .22 is also an excellent one. Perhaps you should ask about renting a .22 revolver.

                      Ask the range employees to show you the ropes as this is your first time. They will most likely be kind enough to help you as long as you listen to them and listen well. Remember the 4 Rules...

                      1) All guns are always loaded!
                      2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
                      3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
                      4) Always be sure of your target!

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 2981 users online. 152 members and 2829 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X