Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avid Gun Owner moving to California for Federal law enforcement Job

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Avid Gun Owner moving to California for Federal law enforcement Job

    I was looking for advice on whether or not I should be worried about moving to California since I do own a lot of weapons. I am coming from Georgia and I am a federal law enforcement employee. Does the strict California laws still apply to law enforcement as well as I do intend to still purchase and shoot my weapons?

  • #2
    If you have an AR 15, buy a Kali Key for it. All the Kali Key does is convert an AR 15 into a bolt action rifle, so it shouldn't be subject to California's AR laws. As far as Handguns are concerned I believe you have to register them, but I don't believe they crack down on handgun characteristics.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would recommend reading this from the CA DOJ website and/or consulting a lawyer if you have anything California considers an assault rifle. Or convert them into a featureless rifle. Will you be carrying under LEOSA or with statutory authority from your agency? If it's just under LEOSA then definitely get PLI, if it's agency authority then PLI is highly recommended.

      https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

      Comment


      • #4
        You can’t bring things into CA and claim they are duty weapons, unless your agency provides documentation for each one.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting questions. Thought provoking, actually.

          Should California state law apply equally to all people in California? My gut says yes, and my intellect agrees.

          Under our system of government all of the powers and authorities of the government are those delegated by the people. If the people have no right to keep and bear arms (or certain firearms, or certain magazines, or whatever) then the people cannot delegate such authority to the government.

          I could easily cite chapter and verse on the history of our nation and laws, but doing so would be utterly lost on California government officials, and probably on many of the fruits, nuts, flakes, and associated idiots living there who seem ready to surrender every vestige of liberty in exchange for whatever their kind and benevolent politicians decide should be allowed in their "safe places".

          I will leave it at that and wait for others to weigh in with their thoughts and opinions.

          Comment


          • #6
            There are plenty of LE jobs in GA and the wages for those jobs are starting to go up. I wouldn't go to California if I wanted to keep my gun collection and still be able to carry, hunt with with them and or shoot them at the range.

            Good luck.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cgrizz View Post
              I was looking for advice on whether or not I should be worried about moving to California since I do own a lot of weapons. I am coming from Georgia and I am a federal law enforcement employee. Does the strict California laws still apply to law enforcement as well as I do intend to still purchase and shoot my weapons?
              There are pretty much zero LE exemptions for firearms here in CA for personally owned weapons...the main thing that is different for LE is the magazine limit doesn't apply and you can buy 'off roster' handguns....that's about it

              Also (unless this has changed ) CA does NOT recognize Feds as LE agents as far as CA gun laws are concerned for the laws that govern private purchase/ownership of firearms....IE 'safe' handgun list, magazine limits ect
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

              "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

              "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

              Comment


              • #8
                My suggestion would be to leave all mag fed SA rifles at home in your free state for when you decide to flee this little slice of socialist paradise

                Of the 30 or so that work in my particular unit, there isn't a single one us that has any intention whatsoever of staying in this state after retirement
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

                "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

                "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would 'park' my s/a guns in another state (AZ, Nevada), and once in the new position, start looking for a lateral transfer to a free state. I was a Fed in CA for 17 years, but escaped.... err, transferred out before they went totally crazy.
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post

                    There are pretty much zero LE exemptions for firearms here in CA for personally owned weapons...the main thing that is different for LE is the magazine limit doesn't apply and you can buy 'off roster' handguns....that's about it

                    Also (unless this has changed ) CA does NOT recognize Feds as LE agents as far as CA gun laws are concerned for the laws that govern private purchase/ownership of firearms....IE 'safe' handgun list, magazine limits ect
                    Federal LEOs can purchase/own off roster handguns and are exempt from magazine restrictions but the asinine “assault” weapon laws do apply.

                    Individuals (even non LEOs) moving into California can bring their off roster handguns.

                    https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991
                    https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-c...ect-17000.html
                    https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...0.&lawCode=PEN


                    Here’s the actual law.
                    https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum= 32000
                    Last edited by Exbpa340; 10-25-2020, 02:37 PM.
                    “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

                    US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post

                      Federal LEOs can purchase/own off roster handguns and are exempt from magazine restrictions but the asinine “assault” weapon laws do apply.

                      Individuals (even non LEOs) moving into California can bring their off roster handguns.

                      https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991
                      https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-c...ect-17000.html
                      https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...0.&lawCode=PEN


                      Here’s the actual law.
                      https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum= 32000
                      Question about the assault weapon shenanigans that state plays. If you change the bolt carrier/functionality on an AR 15 (Kali key makes it function like a bolt action) does it exempt the rifle from all the "assault" weapons provisions or are they still going to come after you?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is not my area of expertise but you should be ok. Since it is now (with the Kali Key) a bolt action and not semiauto you’d think you’d be in the clear. Key word is “should”. At the end of the day the law doesn’t matter to these people (crazy leftists). If you don’t think the approved way you can and will be targeted. They don’t care if they ruin your life and years later you prevail but are bankrupted. Just see Kyle Rittenhouse.

                        https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2
                        “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

                        US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 6453 users online. 366 members and 6087 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X