Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire arm question

Hi!

I realize most of you all have had experience with firearms. I have shot a .22 once, no issues. The problem is I was with an ex and his family, which means no formal training. I was raised around guns in the sense that we had a shot gun for protection in the house. And two fail out police dogs ( we were too friendly for drugs apparently). I am going to training here soon (Late December) and I was wondering what advice you can give in general?

I know my agency just switched to a glock 40 or 45. At least that was what I was told. I'm left handed as well so I know that causes issues. Any insight would be helpful.
    Last edited by Aussie_xo; 11-21-2019, 09:50 AM.

Did you type this from your phone? I have no idea what sort of firearms related question you're asking, so I'm going to inference. As long as you listen to instructors you shouldn't have any issues. A glock is the easiest gun to learn how to shoot on, because they are for the most part idiot proof.

Comment

• Aussie_xo
      Aussie_xo commented
      Editing a comment
      My old LT said the same thing. He did tell me to work on hand strength because I am 5'6 and female, so he did mention his wife had issues with gun size ( shes about the same size as me )

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      Aussie_xo, Hand strength as in controlling recoil or pulling the trigger? The latter can be changed easily, and glocks have around a 4.5 to 5.5 lb trigger pull standard. Basic firearm safety is the most important thing, which wouldn't be a terrible thing to study before going to training. Instructors will teach you how they want you to shoot, so you're better off going in as a clean slate.

• Aussie_xo
      Aussie_xo commented
      Editing a comment
      Levithane I think it was controlling the recoil. Trigger weight I have down, he wasn't able to give me a dry run since he didn't deal with hand guns. He's a big game hunter so. I have tried not to watch videos and such so I am a blank slate. General gun safety I know so I am not too worried about that part. Thank you for the insight!

Originally posted by Levithane View Post
    Did you type this from your phone? I have no idea what sort of firearms related question you're asking, so I'm going to inference. As long as you listen to instructors you shouldn't have any issues. A glock is the easiest gun to learn how to shoot on, because they are for the most part idiot proof.
    Except when placed into the hands of an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post

Except when placed into the hands of an idiot.
      This is true, probably should have phrased my point in a better manner.

Comment

I know about Firearms, I don’t think I want my arm on fire...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Aussie_xo
          Aussie_xo commented
          Editing a comment
          Har Har funny man lol

Originally posted by Aussie_xo View Post
        Hi!

I realize most of you all have had experience when a fire arm. I have shot a .22 once, no issues. The problem is I was with an ex and his family. I was raised around guns in the sense that we had a shot gun for protection in the house. And two fail out police dogs ( we were too friendly for drugs apparently). I am going to training here soon (Late December) and I was wondering what advice you can give.

I know my agency just switched to a glock 40 or 45. At least that was what I was told. I'm left handed as well so I know that causes issues.
        Did you type this left handed?
        Hope your marksmanship is better than your manuscript. Good luck!
        Last edited by westside popo; 11-21-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Aussie_xo
          Aussie_xo commented
          Editing a comment
          Had no problem emptying a .22 into the chest of a target. Not sure about manuscripts though, not much of a playwright
          Last edited by Aussie_xo; 11-21-2019, 10:02 AM.

Front sight focus, slow easy pressure on the trigger. I'm not entirely sure what your question is but if you're having difficulty with accuracy, ask your range master. They'll have suggestions for how you can correct whatever issue and each department trains a little differently.

Comment

• Aussie_xo
          Aussie_xo commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the insight!

Aren't you a CBP applicant? If you are talking of CBP Officer, the new gun is a Glock 19 9MM. The current gun is the HK P2000 in 40 caliber. The new gun has been rolled out at the OFO academy.

Supposedly, the new Glock is ambidextrous. The P2000 is also largely ambidextrous. The Glock 17 that was carried for years by the US Customs Service and CBP was not ambidextrous.

I am also left-handed. Like with trying to do pretty much anything in a world that is almost always designed and set up for right-handed use, you learn to adapt. In the end, firearms left-handed is a bit like using a can opener, scissors and power tools...you use your left hand when you can and you switch to your right when you need to.

I used to have a firearms instructor who I drove nuts because I was constantly switching from a left to right handed grip on the old Glock, mostly when I was under stress or time constrained.

With practice, you will get used to it.

Comment

• Aussie_xo
          Aussie_xo commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I actually got my final offer yesterday. I was just told about the change in passing, wasn't sure if I was allowed to pick someones brain about it at that stage in the process.

I am lucky that I can do a lot with both hands, however, I think from experience I'll mostly use a left handed grip since it is my strongest hand. I have been training my right hand by doing stuff I normally do with my left hand and visa versa. Thank you for the insight!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12304 users online. 442 members and 11862 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X