300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pofoperator View Post
    As I have not gone through the academy yet, and do not know my departments policies. Generally what are the guidelines for presenting your long gun in a situation. When is it justified/acceptable? Obviously you would feel more comfortable being able to have it close at hand. And having a more liberal use of it would make a difference about sidearm capacity. But I understand that if I bust out my tricked out M4, I am going to scare the $h!t out of someone. That might be good or bad.
    There are no hard and fast rules. When you need it, you'll know.

I'd love to see someone on a traffic stop carry a long gun when they contact the driver.
    Last edited by kcr; 05-09-2007, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I'm a firm believer in high capacity. After several OIS' here where multiple rounds were fired (in excess of 200+), I don't care how many times I practiced tac reloads & speed reloads, if I don't have to, I don't want to.
      People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

You're always going to get some hard-liner arguments from the "1911 is king" crowd when it comes to capacity. You'll get the same from "glock is king" crowds. Simple fact is, if you shoot a glock or xd or anything else better, and you have a choice...go with what you're comfortable with. If it's the 1911, then go with that. Seems everybody has a story about how they and their perfect weapon outshot everybody else with their own weapons. That's their story, not yours. Nothing wrong with stories, they may be true. But does that hold the same for the person looking to come to a decision? No.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to engage more targets before refueling. And yet, I'm aching for a 1911 just to have. When I've compared and trained sufficiently enough to be able to tell which one I'm better with, then I'll make the decision as to which I'll continue to carry concealed. But that's concealed, not on duty. As for training, if you train constantly, then you're better off, whether it's on the job or off the job. So, sufficient good training has no bearing on mag capacity. As officers, you aren't conducting traffic stops and other daily practices with a long arm. So your sidearm is what you have. There may be times where getting back to the long arm isn't going to happen. And what if your agency doesn't allow long arms in the squad car? At this juncture, I don't see how high capacity is a bad thing at all. Especially when multiple assailants are involved. But like I said earlier, for every glock or xd guy that swears by his 10 or more rounds per mag, there's some 1911 guy with 8 rounds swearing that he'll beat or match that with fewer rounds. Whatever. Train, and get the job done. If you don't have enough rounds, train some more and carry another mag. But by all means, don't make decisions on your carrying platform by someone else's personal stories.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3194 users online. 170 members and 3024 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X