300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger vs. Savage?

I had my first outing shooting scoped rifles yesterday, an area I just never have explored. I shot a friend's Ruger M77 MkII in .308 and .223 and his Savage Model 10LE in .223.
    I liked the Savage accutrigger quite a bit and the stock felt better (one of the Choat stocks "designed by Maj John Plastir." But the Ruger felt and looked like a better-quality rifle. Anyone have thoughts about them?

I have a ruger and had a savage. I sold the savage becuase it felt like a cheap gun. I dunno i just feel that the rugar is way better quality......

sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

It feels like a better quality gun and in fact costs more. But the accutrigger is really nice.

Comment

I don't own either a Ruger or a Savage bolt gun. However, both have excellent reputations. Savage is known to be THE most accurate bolt gun for the money. Thier tactical rifles cost about half what a Rem 700P costs and are allegedly just (if not more) accurate. In fact our dept just ordered a .308 win, 110FP. It's coming as part of a package deal with a Leupold scope, bipod, hard case and some other stuff, for less than $700. Ruger bolt guns (M77) are known for thier high level of quality and workmanship. They are a faithful copy of the Mauser action (more so than the Rem 700 and the Win M70). They seem to be geared mostly towards sportsmen (hunters), however, they do make a "Target" model. A guy in my dept has one of these M77 Target rifles in .308, and it's a superb gun.

Comment

Get a good affordable rifle and spend the money on a quality scope. I can shoot the same tight groups with my Savage at 200+ yards that my buddy can with his Ruger or Remington.

Comment

Yes, I'm already expecting to pay substantially for a quality scope.

Comment

Savage rifles are butt ugly and not polished to a fine luster. They are, however, built like a tank, are very accurate, and the action functions smoothly.

Rugers are finely finished and look really good. They tend to be pickey about ammo and the triggers are set way to heavy at the factory. The can be good shooters if you find a load your's likes.

I would buy the Savage and put the money saved into a better scope.

Comment

Originally posted by jdh View Post
                Savage rifles are butt ugly and not polished to a fine luster. They are, however, built like a tank, are very accurate, and the action functions smoothly.

Rugers are finely finished and look really good. They tend to be pickey about ammo and the triggers are set way to heavy at the factory. The can be good shooters if you find a load your's likes.

I would buy the Savage and put the money saved into a better scope.
                Well put, I am a Savage fan, 223-270 both are amazing, far more accurate than Ruger IMO. Savage is the way to go, oh and for you snipers the Model 110 308 Ive seen first hand what it does on paper, 100 yards two rounds almost same hole, now I am sure others have similar stories.
                Follow me!

Let your conscience be your guide!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6234 users online. 354 members and 5880 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X