300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith .45s?

I would like to hear about everyones experiences (good or bad) with Smith and Wesson .45 autos. Specifically, I'd like to hear about the Model 457 and the Tactical models, but opinions on other .45s would also be welcome. The general impression I've gotten from many about Smith autos is not very favorable.

My issued duty guns for 20+ yrs were S&W autos in 9mm. I spent nearly 10 yrs on SWAT carrying S&W autos and carried and fired them in all kinds of weather and conditions. While I was running a couple of drug task forces I carried a 645 with a 457 as backup.
    The 457 is a sleeper. If you can find one at a good price then jump on it. You won't be disappointed. The S&W autos, and .45s in particular, will feed any kind of bullet design you feed it. My 645 is slightly more accurate than my 457 but that may also be because the 645 has a longer sighting radius and is heavier. On a good day with the right ammo I could get 2" at 25 yds over a rest with either of them.
    Usually what you will find when someone bad raps S&W, or any other gun, is they'll start out with "I fired a friend's once" or "I've shot a box thru one once." Rarely do they have extensive experience carrying and shooting one.
    183 FBINA

Comment

Carried a S&W 4586 for awhile. Its a boat anchor. Glad to switch depts and go to Glocks and now I carry my own XD-45
      Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win

Comment

I also carried a Smith 4506.Mine is a Engraved ex Tulsa County Sheriffs Office weapon.The badge number is 3 off from the badge number I had (all the guns are engraved with the Deputies badge number).So i scooped it up when I ran across it.I know the deputy that was issued this weapon also.
        The gun is a really good reliable weapon.Never had any problem,plus if it runs empty or malfunctionsi can use it as a clun,or a anchor for a Aircraft carrier!!!
        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

I have a 4566TSW. It is an excellent pistol, reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot well. It is heavy, but that helps keep recoil down, and with all the other stuff I carry on my belt, the extra 8 ounces or so over a alloy frame gun is no big deal.
          -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Originally posted by sig fan View Post
            I would like to hear about everyones experiences (good or bad) with Smith and Wesson .45 autos. Specifically, I'd like to hear about the Model 457 and the Tactical models, but opinions on other .45s would also be welcome. The general impression I've gotten from many about Smith autos is not very favorable.
            My 4506 was my duty gun and I carried a 4516-1 off. The only issues were that early model .45 magazines had the black followers and when removed from the pistol or pouch, the top round would jump out on it's own. A call to the S&W L.E. line and they overnighted me 5 replacement mags with yellow followers. The only other issue was during quals, the safety plunger, lever and spring went flying off the right side of the slide, again a call, again parts overnighted, 30 second fix. Apparently this is still an ongoing issue, as I was using the 4506 to comply with HR 218 regs, the same thing happened, safety lever, spring and plunger went sailing off. When I called S&W, they initially advised 40 dollars plus shipping, I reminded them this is covered under the lifetime warranty. They agreed to send the parts, now it comes in kit form, part number 191780000 AMBI SAF LVR KIT SS. This time it took 48 days to receive the parts, when I again called, they advised things had changed and they only had one person in the warehouse to pull parts and that it was fine to use the gun the way it was, the firing pin was holding the safety together. I wound up using the Sig. 45 and was thinking about getting the Scandium 1911 Smith, but am looking for a pre-70 Colt instead.

Comment

As a matter of personnel option I do not care for S&W auto loaders however I do like their 1911 line for the most part. I own a scandium model and it's a good carry piece. I have had zero problems with reliability. I still think Kimber's are the best value for the money.
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Other than being heavy and with the exception of the Sigma line-up, S&W autoloaders are excellent. They are reliable, accurate, and solidly built. The only problem being that they are heavy as hell, but they'll last a life time.
                People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

I just got a 457S (last year). I love it!! It is heavier and a bit bigger then I want for an off duty piece, but not to bad. I had a Glock 23 before. The only problem I had with it is finding holsters. I went with Haugen Leather out of North (?) Dakota. Good price and good turn around.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4559 users online. 267 members and 4292 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X