300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Sig Sauer P226 owners?

I bought a Sig P226 Mk.25 about a week or so ago. Which products do you guys recommend for general maintenance?

You can’t go wrong with classics like Hoppes, Rem Oil, a rag, and an old tooth brush.

There are also some great products like Frog Lube and TW-25 that I like. I’m a fan of Bore Snakes and own them in just about every caliber.

I like my air compressor and a little brake cleaner sometimes on big jobs. Dental picks work great, metal, not plastic.

Not a fan of Super Quick Clean. I think it sucks.

I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man, ill check out frog lube. I bought myself a 20 dollar pistol cleaning kit the other day that had a lot of the needed tools. Any opinion on use of WD40? I have heard mixed things of using it on firearms.
      Last edited by Levithane; 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM.

I carried SIG 226's for most of my long and undistinguished career. If you've heard mixed reviews of using WD-40 (and I have as well), why use it rather than one of the products designed for cleaning and lubrication of firearms?
    John from Maryland

Comment

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct. I'll pick up a bottle of break free CLP or hoppes gun cleaner. After paying top dollar for a Sig, I'd rather not ruin it.

Will DW-40 work? Yes. Would I use it? No.

There are better products designed specially for firearms. One of the biggest concerns with WD-40 is the possibility that it might damage the bluing.

Comment

IMO Sig Sauer makes the best handguns on the market and the 226 is IMO the flagship model for them. Of course there are other makers who's handguns are either as good or almost as good but I just prefer Sigs. As far as cleaning supplies I have tried a bunch of different products and I now only use what I used from the start Hoppes Blast and shine cleaner or a similar brand. I do prefer using the snake rope for cleaning the barrel but I also finish it off with a rod and nylon bristle attachment. And for lube I prefer good ol Hoppes. You picked a extremely good firearm

Comment

• Levithane
        Levithane commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply. I was originally going to buy a Glock 17, but after holding the 226 I liked it a lot more. The Sig just felt all around better to hold, despite being a bit heavier, and had much better sights. The gen 5 is a step in the wrong direction for glock imo, they still haven't overhauled the sights. I went with the Mk25 edition of the 226. As far as cleaning products go I ordered breakfree CLP. I went with an oil called "Extreme Force Lubricant" by Advanced Weaponts Technology, and seems to hold up pretty well.

Sig 226 user here. Used for 3 years so far. Carry it every day. Shot probably 15,000 rounds through it and never had a failure. Always used CLP and nothing else. Still goes bang every time.

Comment

I have a Sig M11-A1 in 9mm. Basically the new version of the P228 model. Best handgun out there as far as I am concerned and I say this having carried .357 S&W Model 66, S&W Model 4046, various Glocks and various other Sigs. The size and weight are ideal, the action is smooth, and it just looks damn cool.

RE: products. In addition to the barrel brush I use a wire brush to clean the feed ramp, as that gets buildup after a few rounds.
        It is not the well-fed long-haired men that I fear, but the pale and hungry-looking.

-Julius Ceasar

Comment

Great choice. I switched from my department issued Glock 22 (Gen 3) to the Sig P226. I've carried it on duty religiously since then and she's never let me down. As for cleaning products, I've found that Break Free CLP works well. It leaves a good layer of protection especially since I work in an environment with a lot of humidity and salt in the air.

Comment

My first duty pistol was a Sig P226 DAK. I love it and own quite number of Sig products (including multiple 226s in different variations). I generally use Hoppes and Remington gun oil and seems to be working fine.

Comment

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              Would you happen to have any legion variations? Im thinking about getting another pistol in .45 in the future. I was looking at the P220 legion, and was curious if the legion upgrades are worth the extra buck on sigs.

• M1garand
              M1garand commented
              Editing a comment
              Levithane,
              I don't own Legion model (I thought about it, but saw the price tag and walked away). I have a friend who just purchased one and he loves it. Most exotic Sig I own is the first model of Blackwater 226 edition.

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
            My first duty pistol was a Sig P226 DAK. I love it and own quite number of Sig products (including multiple 226s in different variations). I generally use Hoppes and Remington gun oil and seems to be working fine.
            How do you like the DAK trigger?

Comment

• M1garand
              M1garand commented
              Editing a comment
              reils49,
              I love the DAK trigger. It is not as heavy as DAO trigger and love the consistency of the trigger pull over DA/SA. If I ever get another Sig product, I'd only get it DAK.

Do not use WD40! It will damage your ammo.

Comment

I love my P226 - congrats on the purchase. Hoppes is my go-to for oil and their cleaning solution as well. I have the 9mm and the 40 S&W with 357 Sig barrel. The 9mm is a joy to shoot... the 40 S&W isn't bad either, IMO.
              Any good recommendations for a holster from the guys who have a P226? I'm still trying to find something that makes it a decent carry IWB. I know it's a little big for that but I shoot the 226 so much better than the P365.

Comment

• Levithane
                Levithane commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought a Mitch Rosen holder off of the Sig Sauer site when they had them on sale. The holster hasn't come in the mail yet, but it said it was for a 226 and 220 (I have both). Ill type a reply when I get it. Hoping it will fit the Mk25, because it is hard to find a holster for 226's with 1913 rails.

• Levithane
                Levithane commented
                Editing a comment
                bblue321 https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p226r...tch-rosen.html

That is the holster I have for the 226 and 220, its OWB but could be used for CC if you dress appropriately.

Thanks guys ^

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12560 users online. 457 members and 12103 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X