X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO Blue_Knight
    started a topic Wheel gun for duty?

Wheel gun for duty?

I haven't seen this in a while but does anyone carry a duty gun revolver?

• IAM Rand
    replied
    I mainly drive a desk now. I was carrying a S&W 627 8 shot 357 until they made me switch. Would still if I could. Never felt under matched with a good 357. I use moonclips and it is easy to reload. If I was still on the road I would probably still carry a M&P.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    orangebottle, that is only a concern for those intending to commit crimes.

Anything you want to tell us?

Leave a comment:

• orangebottle
    replied
    Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
    A modern semi-auto, properly cleaned and lubed and fed factory ammo, has many advantages over a wheel gun, and no disadvantages.
    No shell casings left behind as evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    When I started, as an instigator...err, investigator, back in the dark ages I carried a 5 shot M60 2". Then we went to M19 2.5" .357's. I recall the day we got authorization to carry semi-autos! I was on the phone with another agent across the country. I told him I would have to call him back, went home, got my .45, went back to work and called him back. I never looked back - but I still have that M60.

A modern semi-auto, properly cleaned and lubed and fed factory ammo, has many advantages over a wheel gun, and no disadvantages.

Leave a comment:

• Shin71
    replied
    I did manage to carry one for a time. I was working narcs. I had a hammerless, 6 shot .357. If I was going under then it went in IWB or a pocket. My duty gun at the time was a 5906 in stainless. It was with my raid/rescue gear. In all my years I had one guy see it. All he said was "Why not a Glock?".

I was just interested to hear if anyone still used one for uniform duty. We had a couple of old timers but I think they are all gone now. Retired.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
    I was in New York City last year, working an event and paired with a couple of detectives. We drove past an uniformed officer on the corner of 6th and 57th with a revolver in a no-strap holster. I asked how many guys still carried wheel guns and was told only 40 out of 40,000 officers still do, or .001 percent., and seeing one these days is as rare as seeing a shooting star.

I carried a wheelie for a few years, back in the day. A S&W Model 65, exactly like below. No night sights, in fact hardly any sights at all. Reloading was a chore. Kids these days don't the know the struggle.

If you went to a gun show in the early 1990s, right when departments were transitioning from revolvers to Sigs and Glocks, you'd see tables full of Colt Pythons, S&W Models 65, 66, 686, etc. For super cheap too: Model 65s were going for $100. Now when I go to gun shows, stainless revolvers are going for $900 and used Sig 229s .40 cal DAKs are going for $400. Funny how times change...

I carried a Colt Python , Ruger Security Six stainless and / or a Model 66 for several years on patrol . I carried a 686 when needed as a Correctional officer until 2005 when we changed over to M&P's

Still have the Python and Ruger.....................

Leave a comment:

• orangebottle
    replied
    Originally posted by reils49 View Post

I have the same relationship with my 642. I think it’s a solid gun and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in a pinch, but you have to respect it’s limits.

It’s sort of like my lever action, Marlin 336, in .35 Remington. I will never part with it, and one day it will be my kids, but I usually take my Remington Model 6 in .270 when I’m headed to the woods.
    Ha! The 336 was my first deer rifle too, and it did the job. Mine's rotated through the family as well, but my deerstalker of choice is a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08.

Leave a comment:

• reils49
    replied
    Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
    I came up post-wheelie, but did have a S&W 642 snubbie I would occasionally carry as a back-up, off-duty, or concealed firearm. When I moved to a department that mandated I pass the statewide test with any firearm I carried on or off-duty, I put it up. With timed sections, mandated magazine changes, and sections shot from the 25-yard line, there was no reason for me to invest the training time I would need to pass for a firearm I might carry a couple times a year, at most.

Early in my career I was at an in-service training with an old deputy that still carried a .357 wheel gun. The BOOM that thing made made me jump when I first heard it, after years of exposure to only 9mm and .40's.
    I have the same relationship with my 642. I think it’s a solid gun and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in a pinch, but you have to respect it’s limits.

It’s sort of like my lever action, Marlin 336, in .35 Remington. I will never part with it, and one day it will be my kids, but I usually take my Remington Model 6 in .270 when I’m headed to the woods.

Leave a comment:

• orangebottle
    replied
    I came up post-wheelie, but did have a S&W 642 snubbie I would occasionally carry as a back-up, off-duty, or concealed firearm. When I moved to a department that mandated I pass the statewide test with any firearm I carried on or off-duty, I put it up. With timed sections, mandated magazine changes, and sections shot from the 25-yard line, there was no reason for me to invest the training time I would need to pass for a firearm I might carry a couple times a year, at most.

Early in my career I was at an in-service training with an old deputy that still carried a .357 wheel gun. The BOOM that thing made made me jump when I first heard it, after years of exposure to only 9mm and .40's.

Leave a comment:

• Jim1648
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
    ...If you went to a gun show in the early 1990s, right when departments were transitioning from revolvers to Sigs and Glocks, you'd see tables full of Colt Pythons, S&W Models 65, 66, 686, etc. For super cheap too: Model 65s were going for $100. Now when I go to gun shows, stainless revolvers are going for $900 and used Sig 229s .40 cal DAKs are going for $400. Funny how times change...

sw66.png
    That is pretty similar to what I experienced. I carried a cheap Smith & Wesson Model 10 at my first sworn job. At my full time sworn job, it was up to me to provide the handgun, so I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 66. Some years later we made the switch and I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 5906. I may have got about $120 for my Smith & Wesson Model 66!

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    I was in New York City last year, working an event and paired with a couple of detectives. We drove past an uniformed officer on the corner of 6th and 57th with a revolver in a no-strap holster. I asked how many guys still carried wheel guns and was told only 40 out of 40,000 officers still do, or .001 percent., and seeing one these days is as rare as seeing a shooting star.

I carried a wheelie for a few years, back in the day. A S&W Model 65, exactly like below. No night sights, in fact hardly any sights at all. Reloading was a chore. Kids these days don't the know the struggle.

If you went to a gun show in the early 1990s, right when departments were transitioning from revolvers to Sigs and Glocks, you'd see tables full of Colt Pythons, S&W Models 65, 66, 686, etc. For super cheap too: Model 65s were going for $100. Now when I go to gun shows, stainless revolvers are going for $900 and used Sig 229s .40 cal DAKs are going for $400. Funny how times change...

sw66.png

Leave a comment:

• Jim1648
    replied
    Originally posted by CO Blue_Knight View Post
    I haven't seen this in a while but does anyone carry a duty gun revolver?
    There are a few around, but they are far and few between at this point.

Leave a comment:

• RaspiestShrimp
    replied
    Do a 300-M sprint and try to use a speedloader. There's a reason you haven't seen one in awhile.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7414 users online. 373 members and 7041 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X