300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel gun for duty?

I haven't seen this in a while but does anyone carry a duty gun revolver?

Do a 300-M sprint and try to use a speedloader. There's a reason you haven't seen one in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by CO Blue_Knight View Post
      I haven't seen this in a while but does anyone carry a duty gun revolver?
      There are a few around, but they are far and few between at this point.

Comment

I was in New York City last year, working an event and paired with a couple of detectives. We drove past an uniformed officer on the corner of 6th and 57th with a revolver in a no-strap holster. I asked how many guys still carried wheel guns and was told only 40 out of 40,000 officers still do, or .001 percent., and seeing one these days is as rare as seeing a shooting star.

I carried a wheelie for a few years, back in the day. A S&W Model 65, exactly like below. No night sights, in fact hardly any sights at all. Reloading was a chore. Kids these days don't the know the struggle.

If you went to a gun show in the early 1990s, right when departments were transitioning from revolvers to Sigs and Glocks, you'd see tables full of Colt Pythons, S&W Models 65, 66, 686, etc. For super cheap too: Model 65s were going for $100. Now when I go to gun shows, stainless revolvers are going for $900 and used Sig 229s .40 cal DAKs are going for $400. Funny how times change...

sw66.png
        One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
          ...If you went to a gun show in the early 1990s, right when departments were transitioning from revolvers to Sigs and Glocks, you'd see tables full of Colt Pythons, S&W Models 65, 66, 686, etc. For super cheap too: Model 65s were going for $100. Now when I go to gun shows, stainless revolvers are going for $900 and used Sig 229s .40 cal DAKs are going for $400. Funny how times change...

sw66.png
          That is pretty similar to what I experienced. I carried a cheap Smith & Wesson Model 10 at my first sworn job. At my full time sworn job, it was up to me to provide the handgun, so I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 66. Some years later we made the switch and I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 5906. I may have got about $120 for my Smith & Wesson Model 66!

Comment

I came up post-wheelie, but did have a S&W 642 snubbie I would occasionally carry as a back-up, off-duty, or concealed firearm. When I moved to a department that mandated I pass the statewide test with any firearm I carried on or off-duty, I put it up. With timed sections, mandated magazine changes, and sections shot from the 25-yard line, there was no reason for me to invest the training time I would need to pass for a firearm I might carry a couple times a year, at most.

Early in my career I was at an in-service training with an old deputy that still carried a .357 wheel gun. The BOOM that thing made made me jump when I first heard it, after years of exposure to only 9mm and .40's.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
              I came up post-wheelie, but did have a S&W 642 snubbie I would occasionally carry as a back-up, off-duty, or concealed firearm. When I moved to a department that mandated I pass the statewide test with any firearm I carried on or off-duty, I put it up. With timed sections, mandated magazine changes, and sections shot from the 25-yard line, there was no reason for me to invest the training time I would need to pass for a firearm I might carry a couple times a year, at most.

Early in my career I was at an in-service training with an old deputy that still carried a .357 wheel gun. The BOOM that thing made made me jump when I first heard it, after years of exposure to only 9mm and .40's.
              I have the same relationship with my 642. I think it’s a solid gun and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in a pinch, but you have to respect it’s limits.

It’s sort of like my lever action, Marlin 336, in .35 Remington. I will never part with it, and one day it will be my kids, but I usually take my Remington Model 6 in .270 when I’m headed to the woods.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

I have the same relationship with my 642. I think it’s a solid gun and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in a pinch, but you have to respect it’s limits.

It’s sort of like my lever action, Marlin 336, in .35 Remington. I will never part with it, and one day it will be my kids, but I usually take my Remington Model 6 in .270 when I’m headed to the woods.
                Ha! The 336 was my first deer rifle too, and it did the job. Mine's rotated through the family as well, but my deerstalker of choice is a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                  I was in New York City last year, working an event and paired with a couple of detectives. We drove past an uniformed officer on the corner of 6th and 57th with a revolver in a no-strap holster. I asked how many guys still carried wheel guns and was told only 40 out of 40,000 officers still do, or .001 percent., and seeing one these days is as rare as seeing a shooting star.

I carried a wheelie for a few years, back in the day. A S&W Model 65, exactly like below. No night sights, in fact hardly any sights at all. Reloading was a chore. Kids these days don't the know the struggle.

If you went to a gun show in the early 1990s, right when departments were transitioning from revolvers to Sigs and Glocks, you'd see tables full of Colt Pythons, S&W Models 65, 66, 686, etc. For super cheap too: Model 65s were going for $100. Now when I go to gun shows, stainless revolvers are going for $900 and used Sig 229s .40 cal DAKs are going for $400. Funny how times change...

I carried a Colt Python , Ruger Security Six stainless and / or a Model 66 for several years on patrol . I carried a 686 when needed as a Correctional officer until 2005 when we changed over to M&P's

Still have the Python and Ruger.....................
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13353 users online. 387 members and 12966 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X