300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me to ident this shotgun

Hey guys, i need some help to ID this shotgun that i have, its been in my family for awhile and there are several markings on it but i have no idea what they mean. i will try to describe as much as i can.
    On the top of the barrels it says "government tested for smokeless powder"
    Under the two barrels is where most of the info is, and again it is all in odd symbols to me.
    here are some of the markings (do my best to describe them, pictures suck)
    choke 18.3, then a symbol with an astrisk * above a U, and odd F. a lion above P.V. a crown which is ontop of a circle and in the circle there is an E L and Gwith another astrisk or star. finally a 12-65 within a circle is the last mark. these markings are on both barrels.

The last pic is where all the markings are, again sorry for the crappy pics but any info would be of great help!
    Attached Files

supposdely the ELG symbol means it was made in Belgium...

Comment

maybe posting a bit larger pictures would help

Comment

Well at first glance, you've got an Fabrique National- Herstal double barrel shotgun from around the turn of the century. Hard to tell exactly when or which model without actually seeing the rest of the marks. The 18.3 references the nominal bore diameter and I'm guess the one of the stars you reference means its a full choke, but again hard to tell without actually looking at it. The 12/65 is the ammunition designation. 12 guage shells of 65 mm length (roughly 2 1/2 inch shells).

Take it to a reputable gun dealer who specializes in old guns to be sure.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936
          Well at first glance, you've got an Fabrique National- Herstal double barrel shotgun from around the turn of the century. Hard to tell exactly when or which model without actually seeing the rest of the marks. The 18.3 references the nominal bore diameter and I'm guess the one of the stars you reference means its a full choke, but again hard to tell without actually looking at it. The 12/65 is the ammunition designation. 12 guage shells of 65 mm length (roughly 2 1/2 inch shells).

Take it to a reputable gun dealer who specializes in old guns to be sure.
          yah i tried to take some pics of the markings but again, bad camera. But thanks a lot for all that info, that really helps me out. I guess i will have to take it to someone like you said, thanks again.

I'll also draw some of the symbols and scan them onto my computer then post them to give you a better understanding
          Last edited by Highwaystreets; 04-22-2007, 01:37 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4632 users online. 270 members and 4362 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X