300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol Rifle Advice

I’m getting rifle certified with my department. Rifles are privately purchased and policy pretty much makes all the popular manufactures an option to choose from. Just looking to get more opinions and advice from other LEO’s on which manufacturers and models I should look at. Any help is much appreciated.

Just so you understand that when you use it, it’s gone for years. Buy two.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      Just so you understand that when you use it, it’s gone for years. Buy two.
      Yup. And this is why I wouldn’t recommend you blow your money on something uber tacticool.

Our guys are issued Colt and Rock River Arms. Both work well. I actually prefer the Rock River.

I owned a Remington (essentially a Bushmaster) and would have no concerns carrying it on duty.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• JaredO
        JaredO commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. I just want something reliable and not super expensive. I have heard good things from Rock River. Is there a particular model that you like?

• reils49
        reils49 commented
        Editing a comment
        You can’t go wrong with their Entry Tactical model. BUIS, optic and a light and your good to go.

Buy something that will go bang when you need it too and put a decent optic on it. You accomplish that by staying under 1k. As mentioned earlier, depending on the situation, once you use it, plan on never seeing it again.

Having a rifle while you are one of the first on scene is heaven-sent. There have been no less than 10 times in the past year or two I wasnt thankful that I had my rifle with me when ***** hit the fan.
      Last edited by scotty_appleton814; 10-13-2018, 06:51 PM. Reason: I can't spell without autocorrect

Comment

Palmetto State Armory makes good equipment at a good price. My patrol rifle is by them. I only added the optic, light and flip up rear sight.

Comment

Can you carry a M1A?

Comment

FN-FAL. Paratrooper stock. Or a Galil.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              FN-FAL. Paratrooper stock. Or a Galil.
              I would so carry a FN-FAL if it was authorized. I couldn't even carry my Sig 556 Swat because I was told that it did not look like an "AR" variant. I was told citizens dont want to see their officers carrying AK's in the street. But I confess I am biased toward piston operated rifles.

Comment

After numerous years on a regional multi-jurisdictional SWAT team, I personally seen most models used. For patrol you can't go wrong with above info. You do not need to go ultra expensive crazy, but with that said, LWRC is one of the more desired manufacturers, albeit pricey. Sig's rifles had held up very well and are reasonably priced. However, some our guys run Colt, Bushmaster, our snipers running Rock River Arms. I have not seen anything on them break, and we climb ladders, in and out of armor, unfortunately banging them off things, etc.

To keep it reasonable I would personally go a little higher on quality than Remington/Bushmaster and would look at a SIG piston gun myself, although if money were not an issue, LWRC and HK are pretty sweet.

I edited the post, forgot another performer our guys use, Daniel Defense. These things hold up remarkably well, and cleary worthy of a look as well.
                Last edited by Beentheredonethat!; 10-15-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                  scotty_appleton814 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  NIce to see another piston fan here. I carry the Sig 516!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

FN rifles are among the best in the industry. Their ARs are very high quality Grade 1 components due to them having current military contracts. They also have exceptional LE pricing.
                BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Sons of Liberty Gunworks, Sionics and top end piston guns like HK and LWRC will all be guaranteed to work in the most adverse conditions.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

My department has pool rifles, which are fine. I carry my personal Sig MCX though and could not recommend it more highly than I do. I love it.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                    scotty_appleton814 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Does your rifle have a full quad rail? If not, does it have that stupid proprietary Sig handrail system only compatible with Sig or other high priced rails in bed with Sig. I carry a Sig 516 and thats my only complaint is that the rail is not full length and I have only found one replacement and it's not quad, only top. I at least need a top and bottom. Thanks a bunch.

• Reedo
                    Reedo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The MCX handguard has either keymod or MLOK holes, and is proprietary. Midwest Industries makes an aftermarket handguard for it.
                    We issue the MCX to some officers, and those have the keymod attachments.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11385 users online. 428 members and 10957 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X