Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boomstik45
    J-Wise,

Had a friend with a USP .45 that had the same problem. It turned out to be the mags. We took them apart and stretched out the springs: problem solved. I personally had the same experience with a Walther P99 QA. I sold it for the same reason. I got tired of a weapon that was expensive, with expensive mags to boot...not having the quality that I expected. Never, ever had that problem with any Glock, oddly enough.
    Funny you mention that. I replaced all my mag springs w/ Wolff Xtra power springs, and still the slide would not reliably lock back. I was left with the probability that my thumbs were hitting the (stock) extended slide release inadvertently.

I dumped the pistol for a Glock 21 when I started having dreams of pulling the trigger on a badguy, but only "short-stroking" the trigger. The LEM trigger pull was still a lot longer than the Glock trigger. I never actually short-stroked the trigger during live fire drills, but it did happen with my S&W 5906. Being a 1911 fan, I was used to the short, crisp, trigger-pull of my Kimber Pro CDP.

The last reason I prefer the Glock over the H&K (and Sig for that matter) is the low bore heighth. The H&K and Sig handguns have more "muzzle flip" due to this, and I always look "under" the sights when coming up on target. Again, being used to my 1911 pistols (which have a similar bore heighth as the Glock), I had a hard time transitioning to the H&K or Sig.

In the end, I don't think there was ever anything "wrong" with my H&K, it just failed me "ergonomically" on three major points.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

J-Wise,

hey, the gun just wasn't for you. If it doesn't fit you right all the way, why have it? Much less carry it....Especially if you haven't had the same problem with other weapons. And I'm with you on the bore axis thing. The first time I fired the USP, I was like "WHAT recoil reduction system?! This thing is hopping all over the place compared to the Glock!" In fact, although there's definitely more force felt, the G20 with full power loads seemed to flip less than the USP. Had no problems controlling either weapon, seeing as how I'm a not a small fella and have paws for hands. But the HK does flip more. Funny, although the Sig has a not-so-low bore axis, I always shot it good, better than the HK. OH well. Just got my hands on the first M&P .45 to get to the shop. Ooohhhh...nice. Still probably going to get a G21 or G21 SF though. But that Smith is Niiiiice. Too bad mag capacity isn't as good yet.

Comment

Originally posted by boomstik45
        J-Wise,

hey, the gun just wasn't for you. If it doesn't fit you right all the way, why have it? Much less carry it....Especially if you haven't had the same problem with other weapons. And I'm with you on the bore axis thing. The first time I fired the USP, I was like "WHAT recoil reduction system?! This thing is hopping all over the place compared to the Glock!" In fact, although there's definitely more force felt, the G20 with full power loads seemed to flip less than the USP. Had no problems controlling either weapon, seeing as how I'm a not a small fella and have paws for hands. But the HK does flip more. Funny, although the Sig has a not-so-low bore axis, I always shot it good, better than the HK. OH well. Just got my hands on the first M&P .45 to get to the shop. Ooohhhh...nice. Still probably going to get a G21 or G21 SF though. But that Smith is Niiiiice. Too bad mag capacity isn't as good yet.
        Do tell about the M&P 45. I'm very curious about it. Did you shoot the one with the frame mounted safety?

Comment

Haven't shot it yet, planning on Monday morning or afternoon. Haven't shot the 9mm, only the .40 version. Beats the dog crap out of most .40s I've shot, and I've shot some of what I consider the best. I'll put it like this: shot it next to the HK compact .40, Beretta PX4 .40, Glock 22, SigPro 2340, and Walther P99QA .40. The HK and Glock were closer than the others. The XD .40, which I previously failed to mention, was even closer. But the Smith was clearly handling the .40 better than any of the others, even the low-bore axis Glock. Clearly. And the mags appear to be rather high quality. If for some reason I don't really fall in love with this .45 version, I'd have absolutely no problem with an M&P .40 in lieu of several .45s. It's one of the few .40s I'd take over several .45s. And for me, that's saying something.

Comment

SRT936 I wanted the XD TACTICAL 45 After shooting it in a department T/E but they got greedy on their prices and went up $100 which is why i considered H&K. But Ive owned the Glock 21 and trust me on this one. Im probably going to bite the bullet and get the XD anyway regardless because both 45's I shot the Tactical and the Standard size were a dream to shoot. You know that little mini corner target on the B27's on each side at the tops of the target? At 15 and 20yrds me and my buddy were knocking them out like a laser. I like glock also but after shooting all sizes from subs to tactical 5 inchers they blow them out of the water on every category I can think of regarding evaluation of small arms. I still tote around my 27 only because I already qualified with it but Im gonna add a sub xd to that range book as well for off duty and my little Kahr..
            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Now I do have to say this: as far as .45s go, it's hard to beat the XD .45. Just shot the M&P .45 though. The XD has some serious competition on it's hands. That dang M&P was making it really easy for me to make "quicker than normal" head shots at 15 and 20 yards. Very Accurate, very mild recoil. For those of you who like Novak sights, your dream poly .45 just got here. Just like many 1911 sights I've looked through.

Comment

Thanks for all yall imput. I bit the bullet and bought the XD Tactical the other day and ran 100rounds out of it at the hunt club. Unreal shooter. I have to break in the trigger it isn't as smooth as my well shot XD 40 but it will be after 500rounds. Once I break it in I'll take my rail light off the 40 and put it on the 45tactical for those late night critters that torture my dogs and spill my garbage in the yard.
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Glad to hear it, Nightshift. I traded my .45 xd 4" for a compact tactical version. I liked shooting the full size 5" tactical but liked the idea of having a shorter grip on occasion. You'd think that would defeat the purpose, but the cool thing is, you can have glock 30-like grip length and still have the 5" barrel. Niiiice. The reason it sold me in the end? It's more comfortable than the glock 30 in my big ol' mitts, and the grip sleeve for the 13 round mag is not only easily removed/installed...it is just about seamless. Ever shoot a glock 30 with a G21 mag in there with the grip sleeve installed? Ridiculous...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4572 users online. 269 members and 4303 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X