Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops i took the title to mean .45 1911 style handgun...

Glock, Sig and Xd get my vote..

since the German made Walther P99 doesnt come in .45

S&W 99 does tho..
    The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Originally posted by stangfather
      oops i took the title to mean .45 1911 style handgun...

Glock, Sig and Xd get my vote..

since the German made Walther P99 doesnt come in .45

S&W 99 does tho..
      I take it you feel that the Walther version of the 99 is better than the S&W version? What makes it better?

Comment

Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE
        That LEM trigger is pretty cool. I would need to have quite a bit of range time with it before I was truly comfortable with it though.

I understand about personal preference and the H&K trigger. I personally like it when compared with the trigger on the Beretta 92FS that my department issues.
        I really liked the LEM trigger on my USP45F. Perhaps moreso than the tirgger on my Glocks.

I just couldn't get the slide to lock back reliably.
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I like my G-21.......actually love it.....

I have buddies that USPs and SIGs.....

You should go try to fire a couple and see what fits your hands best and what you feel good at shooting....then go from there.....

Comment

+1 for the Glock.

I actually just borrowed an XD45 to try it out, and the reason it is so popular is the reason it doesn't work as well for me. I'm 6'5 and have large hands. The slim frame on the XD puts my index finger to far forward for what I'm used to. I think its an excellent weapon, and with some use I would get used to the grip to trigger distance. (When I was in police academy I went from Glock 21 to issued Glock 22 and had the same issue. After 2 weeks on the range and 2000+ rounds fired, the 22 felt right and the 21 felt kinda alien...its all in what you're used to I guess.)

After the Glock and the XD, I would have to say the H&K USP. Like other posters here, I don't see the MK23 in this league.
            "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Perhaps the new H&K 45 (seen a pic from the 2007 Shot show)
              Attached Files

Comment

To me, a high-cap .45 is a 1911 with an 8-round mag.
                I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Ken,

Now I just was not at all surprised to hear that from you. Although, considering the fact that most full size 1911s have standard 7 rd mags, if hi-cap means an 8-rounder...I can only laugh! But it's a laugh of amusement, not ridicule.

Bighead,

Did you notice the difference in triggers between the XD and the Glock? I suppose that's my only real hang-up with the XD. The Glock has a quicker, more precise trigger reset. THe XD's reset is noticeably longer, at least to me. I found myself not able to fire as quickly. Although, as you mentioned, with time that can and will change. The crank of it is, to get the same kind of performance trigger-wise, I'd have to send the XD in and have it worked on. Bummer...

All in all, it's hard to not go with the Glock. I can work on it if required/desired, it's a great .45 platform, and it's a very durable .45. I may have just talked myself into another one.

Comment

Now I just was not at all surprised to hear that from you. Although, considering the fact that most full size 1911s have standard 7 rd mags, if hi-cap means an 8-rounder...I can only laugh! But it's a laugh of amusement, not ridicule.
                    CMC makes a good 10 rounder too.
                    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Didn't know that. Good to know, though. Been looking lately at a Springfield Loaded 1911 with night sights.

Comment

Originally posted by sig fan
                        I take it you feel that the Walther version of the 99 is better than the S&W version? What makes it better?

i dont know if its better per se, but i know i like action better.. i shot them both back to back and the Walther felt more refined and better assembled, i dunno...

the grip isnt exactly the same either, jsut look athem side by side and you can tell, the SW99 looks alot more like the Steyer than the W99..imo

kinda like the difference between a GMC and Chevy, i just prefer the German made version...

i own the .40 right now.
                        ill probably buy a 9mm version too, once i get some other stuff paid for.
                        Last edited by stangfather; 04-18-2007, 02:51 PM.
                        The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

1. HK USP in .45

2. HK Mk 23, although incredibly expensive, excessively large and not easily found.

3. Kimber Custom II series of 1911s

Comment

The Walther is probably the better version mostly because it's parts are better matched. The Smith version has more Smith parts that don't match as well (refinement-wise) with the German parts. Let's just say that the engineering isn't the same, so what you get is not identical twins...more like fraternal twins.

Comment

J-Wise,

Had a friend with a USP .45 that had the same problem. It turned out to be the mags. We took them apart and stretched out the springs: problem solved. I personally had the same experience with a Walther P99 QA. I sold it for the same reason. I got tired of a weapon that was expensive, with expensive mags to boot...not having the quality that I expected. Never, ever had that problem with any Glock, oddly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by boomstik45
                                J-Wise,

Had a friend with a USP .45 that had the same problem. It turned out to be the mags. We took them apart and stretched out the springs: problem solved. I personally had the same experience with a Walther P99 QA. I sold it for the same reason. I got tired of a weapon that was expensive, with expensive mags to boot...not having the quality that I expected. Never, ever had that problem with any Glock, oddly enough.

certain early build factory Walther mags had some issues with the followers or springs, they were warrantied by the factory if i remember correctly..

should have gotten new mags, ive put over 1000 rounds thru mine and ive NEVER had failure, from Cor-Bon to Wolf and everything in between..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5752 users online. 349 members and 5403 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X