300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt Detective Special

I recently took my 1st issue Det Spl to the range for the first time. While I was surprised by the accuraccy and "shootablity" of the gun, there was a small problem. I found that the gun "shifted" in my hand as I fired it, especially one handed. By the time I fired the 4th or 5th round, I found the web between my thumb and fore finger getting pinched by the hammer. Not only does this hurt a little, it also makes it harder to keep the weapon on target.
    So, how do I remedy this problem? I'm guessing that I need new grips, but I don't know what kind. Right now the gun wears the original, checkered (but very worn) wood grips. I'll be using the gun as an on-duty BUG, so I don't want to put a huge set of grips on the gun. However, I'm not too concerned by how the gun looks, so they don't need to be anything exotic. Thanks!

I've had the same experience shooting my small Smith Airweight revolver.

So I prefer my Ruger SP101 when a small revolver is useful. Much more comfortable shooting, accurate & durable.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

I too carry a Det Spl off duty and have had the same problem with the factory grips in the past. I swapped them out with Pachmyer grips and the problem is gone. The grips are very nice, not that pricey, and look great. They do add a little bit of bulk to the gun, but no so much that its been a problem.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Dick Special? You must be ancient. I don't think I've heard of an LEO carrying one for probably 20 years or more. Heck, they haven't made the gun for well over 20 years.
        Anyway. A cheap solution to try is some electrical tape or something on the backstrap to keep your hand from moving up. Next move is to wrap the tape. I would guess the grip is too narrow for your hand and you're not getting enough to grab on to.

ETA: As I was thinking about this at 3AM (tells you what kind of life I have) I thought the solution might be a Tyler-T grip. They arent made anymore but I see them around on eBay etc. Fits between the trigger guard and grip, increases grip space. I would first try the tape and then the Tyler T.
        Last edited by The Rabbi; 04-11-2007, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Rabbi.
          The T-Grip is a good Idea. I found a couple on Ebay and will be getting one soon. Thanks! BTW, I'm not that ancient. I'm 40 but I've only been on the job for 8yrs.

Comment

Well, I'm 45 so you're a kid to me.
            If you've never seen it, I would recommend a book called "the snubby revolver" by Ed Lovette. Actually the cover pic is a Colt Dick (old style) with Tyler Ts. He talks about the advantages of the snubby and techniques for using it and so on. A really good book and interesting read.
            But you have yourself a good reliable bottom line insurance policy. Stoke it with the FBI Load (158 gr +P LHP) and you'll be good to go.

Comment

Tyler T grips are still made, by the same company. Have them on most of my revolvers
              Take your time, in a hurry

Comment

Ah, the old "New York Reload" backup gun. I guess I'm really ancient, with a 1967 Python and a 1976 Det. Spl.
                The DS came with the rubber grips that the later ones wore when they left the factory. I think those were made by Pachmayr, at least at one time. I like 'em.
                The "FBI load" mentioned above is good ammo. Also getting good reviews by those who have tested it is the Speer 135 gr. "Gold Dot Short Barrel" load.
                --
                Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

RR,
                  Don't you know you don't stand a chance against bad guys with those guns? You need HI CAP semis to have a chance on the street. 15 rounds of .40 S&W and 3 or 4 "clips". And that's just for the back-up gun.

Seriously. A very standard combo, from what I've read, was a Smith (Mdl 19 or similar k-frame) and a Smith J-frame. Officers carried something like that for probably 40-50 years and I doubt too many felt under-gunned.
                  I personally carry a Smith 19 and a bodyguard.

Comment

I carry a Glock 21 as a primary duty weapon and have just recently started carrying the Det Spl as a back-up. Haven't really decided how I'm going to carry it yet. I have been carring it my front pocket, but I think I'll need a pocket holster if I intend to keep doing this. I guess I could get an ankle holster but I've never been to big a fan of that method. Maybe I could get one of thoses IWB holsters that lets you tuck your shirt in. Any suggestions?

Comment

I always found the Det Spl a bit bulky for ankle carry. A nice vest strap holster should do the trick effectively though.

Comment

SRT
                        What do you mean by "Vest strap holster". Who makes them? I used to have a cheap Uncle Mikes holster that stuck to the velcro on my vest. I carried a Kahr 9mm in it for a while. One day I was in a foot pursuit and the thing came loose. I had to chase this dude with my BUG flooping around between my vest and my uniform shirt!
                        I could see the same thing happening with a ankle holster. Except in that case the gun would probably go skidding across the pavement!

Comment

The DS conceals fairly well with a good ankle holster. But I found that even with the well-made DeSantis Apache I have for mine, carrying it that way can be kinda uncomfortable after several hours. Takes some getting used to, and plenty of unloaded (Snap Cap) practice and/or range time, too. An ankle holster could be easier to draw from than a hip holster if you were seated, or if you fell onto your back.

I ordered an Ace Case bellyband from Cheaper Than Dirt. I may try it with a long-sleeved shirt and tie, too, using the tie to hide the one shirt button left undone for faster access.
                          Last edited by RR_Security; 04-15-2007, 04:46 PM.
                          --

Comment

Ill have to do some looking for the one I'm thinking of. It was soft leather with a sheepskin backing for comfort. I agree that the Uncle Mike's leaves alot to be desired. I don't carry the Det Spl as a BUG, only an off duty piece on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936
                              Ill have to do some looking for the one I'm thinking of. It was soft leather with a sheepskin backing for comfort.
                              Galco Ankle Gloveâ„¢? (Leather on neoprene.)

The Apache has a "genuine sheep-skin padded lining," too, but it's otherwise made of all synthetic(s).
                              --

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5696 users online. 312 members and 5384 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X