Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A snag free snub revolver can be carried in a front pants pocket with a hand on the gun ready to go if needed and it does not telegraph your intent. i usually carry a Glock when a belt gun can be carried. For those times where the dress code calls for a tucked in shirt or dressier attire, a snub fits in more places than a blocky semi-auto pistol. If I were limited to one gun for off duty, it would be a 642/442 S&W .38 revolver carried wherever the clothing would allow. One steel frame snub or service size revolver on the waist and an airweight in a pocket or on the ankle would be good as well. The .38 will still get the job done if you do yours.

Comment

I've owned a S&W 642 Airweight for years, and used to use it on rare occasions when I felt the need for off-duty carry and my single-stack S&W auto wasn't appropriate. On occasion, I would carry it in a pocket holster.

The department I was with for most of my career had pretty loose guidelines on off-duty firearms. I recently changed departments, and my new agency's firearms policy requires me to qualify with any firearm I may carry, on or off duty. The qualification standards are what I would call semi-challenging. The fact that 1/3 of the required targets are beyond 15 yards and the timed sections require reloading means there's no way I'd qualify with my snub -- at least, not without a ton of range work I just don't have the time or inclination for, when I have a perfectly good auto that I can qualify with.

I'll be trading in the 642 in the near future.

Comment

• reils49
        reils49 commented
        Editing a comment
        Why not keep it?

• orangebottle
        orangebottle commented
        Editing a comment
        I already have enough guns gathering dust in the gun safe.

I carry my Glock 27 and a S&W Chiefs Special off duty

Comment

My, or one of my favorite off duty guns is a polymer .357 5-shot snubby. I carry a couple of speed strips and a Decent CRKT folder. Sometimes I carry a Glock 27 with the Pearce +1 mag extension's and a spare mag. In either event I do not feel under gunned and if the need arose I would respond to an emergency if no one in uniform were near enough.

I think the only things that matter are: are you comfortable with the gun; is the gun and ammo of decent quality; that you practice and train with it (them) in a realistic manner. If you want to carry two, carry two. Just be realistic about it and train accordingly.

Comment

I have a Ruger LCR that I carry as my backup gun and on rare occasion I have carried it off duty. But like others have stated I prefer a slim semiautomatic for off duty carry.

Also so when I’m off duty I’m not the police. I carry for the exact same reasons someone with their concealed carry permit does. To protect my family and myself. Otherwise I’ll just be the best witness possible for the on duty officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sumar
            So what? Does that mean you weren't being rude?
            No, he wasn’t being rude... somebody else was.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

So what? Does that mean you weren't being rude?
              I'm not CCCSD, so no, I wasn't being rude.

And I'm still not sure why you would go on some archeological dig for something to complain about...

Comment

• tanksoldier
                tanksoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                Bye, Felicia...

No matter what the forum, they all have rude little people like you.
              Saved

Comment

• about...
                  • Comment
                  • Flag
                  • Like0

2 comments

• #26.1
                    Sumar commented
                    06-08-2021, 10:45 AM
                    When did I dig for anything? Stop making up crap. It showed when I logged in here. You what? Screw this place. *******s like you ruin it.
                    • Flag

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3584 users online. 268 members and 3316 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X