Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two snub revolvers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Two snub revolvers

    Here is a question that many of you will probably think is crazy. Since I am a revolver guy, what would you guys think about two snub revolvers for off duty carry. One on the strong side, and one in the pocket on the off side. Dumb idea??? what say you???

  • #2
    sometimes the fastest reload is another gun. If it works for you, do it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not to throw cold water here, but sometimes you can "what if" things to death.

      When was the last time you heard of anyone within 100 miles of you getting into an off duty, officer involved, where they needed that many rounds? Or, where they got into an off duty, officer involved, period?

      Please understand, I'm not trying to ridicule you, but over my career I've seen many officers "what If; themselves into carrying so much crap in the off chance that they "might" need it, when statistically they never will. Sometimes its funny, sometimes its sad.

      I saw a guy responding to a hot call the other day. He bailed out on foot wearing a tactical vest outfitted with so many "what if" toys that if he fell down, he would have been like a june bug trapped on its back, and would have required the assistance of another person to get him up. For years I worked with a sergeant who carried so many "what if" weapons and equipment that he clattered when he walked. He interacted a lot with LAPD, and Keith M (here on the forum) and his guys used to call him Jungles because of all the noise his "what if" stuff made.

      Before you do this, weigh the crime in your community, the areas you frequent in your off duty hours and risks you face off duty on a daily basis. Then ask yourself if what you want to do is realistic? .If it is, have at it. If not, move on.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

      Comment


      • #4
        I like revolvers two, but if you get to the point of carrying two for extra ammo wouldn't a Glock 26 serve you just as well and present a simpler option for concealed carry?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          Not to throw cold water here, but sometimes you can "what if" things to death.

          When was the last time you heard of anyone within 100 miles of you getting into an off duty, officer involved, where they needed that many rounds? Or, where they got into an off duty, officer involved, period?

          Please understand, I'm not trying to ridicule you, but over my career I've seen many officers "what If; themselves into carrying so much crap in the off chance that they "might" need it, when statistically they never will. Sometimes its funny, sometimes its sad.

          I saw a guy responding to a hot call the other day. He bailed out on foot wearing a tactical vest outfitted with so many "what if" toys that if he fell down, he would have been like a june bug trapped on its back, and would have required the assistance of another person to get him up. For years I worked with a sergeant who carried so many "what if" weapons and equipment that he clattered when he walked. He interacted a lot with LAPD, and Keith M (here on the forum) and his guys used to call him Jungles because of all the noise his "what if" stuff made.

          Before you do this, weigh the crime in your community, the areas you frequent in your off duty hours and risks you face off duty on a daily basis. Then ask yourself if what you want to do is realistic? .If it is, have at it. If not, move on.
          Sage words

          Please read the highlighted words.....................Remember that off duty is................OFF DUTY.

          You are armed to protect yourself and your family ...........NOT to protect the world.

          Carry a couple speed loaders in your pocket if you really think it necessary.

          (from an old revolver guy)
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by echofiveniner View Post
            I like revolvers two, but if you get to the point of carrying two for extra ammo wouldn't a Glock 26 serve you just as well and present a simpler option for concealed carry?
            You are correct, but I do like, and trust revolvers more that the "slab sides" even though I carry one on the job and have only had two malfunctions in years. Thanks to all for the responses.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post



              Remember that off duty is................OFF DUTY.

              You are armed to protect yourself and your family ...........NOT to protect the world.
              Memorize above quote....

              Back up your ODG with a cell phone and 911 on speed dial...
              Last edited by BTDT2; 04-07-2018, 10:38 AM.

              Comment


              • Bighead
                Bighead commented
                Editing a comment
                You and your spouse are sitting in a local restaurant, near the back away from the entrance. You hear glass break, and someone indicates there is a person in the parking lot shooting people. Do you secure your family and call 9-1-1 as suggested here, or do you tell your spouse to call 9-1-1 and move to engage the active killer? Neither answer is necessarily wrong, but you have to search yourself and answer this question. I know many policemen who would not be able to live with themselves if they shirked what they see as their duty in a situation like this. Add children into the equation and the calculus changes, it's all about context.

                When it comes to what you decide to carry, remember mission drives the gear train. Consider your internal drive and likely reaction, then equip yourself in a way that makes sense to you, while reminding yourself that we live in a relatively safe part of the world.

                I use this example because it happened in my city this year, a mentally ill man starting shooting at customers entering a popular lakeside restaurant, striking several people including a young girl. Two separate armed citizens engaged him, keeping him away from restaurant and eventually killing him.

            • #8
              I like my snubby too and once it gets hot out, it’s usually my off duty until the weather cools off. That said, I think one is plenty.

              I second Iowa. I throw a speed strip in my pocket and that’s about all I need.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

              Comment


              • #9
                There's something else to consider - the practicality of carrying a snub nose.

                I bought my first (and only) snub nose when I first became a cop in 1969. I always carried it as my off duty gun and when working plain clothes. When I left the job, it became my retirement gun. I felt very comfortable with it, until........

                Range qualification for this particular gun with my agency had always been rather casual. It consisted of timed fire of a few rounds at varying distances while achieving a satisfactory score - never a problem However, one year I needed to go for my HR 218 qualification only to find that the range my agency used was going to be unavailable and I had to shoot at the SO. Their qual was a little different. They used a trailer at the jail and simulated an actual combat situation. I had to shoot a certain number of rounds within within a darkened area and within a physically limited space. I also had to reload and then shoot again, all within a limited time and while achieving a satisfactory score. It couldn't be done with a snub nose. It was at this point I realized that relying on a snub nose in a real life combat situation was going to get me killed, and I went out and bought a Glock 27. Interestingly enough, it takes up about the same amount of space as my Chief's special and doesn't weight that much more. .
                Last edited by L-1; 04-08-2018, 12:32 PM.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                  You are correct, but I do like, and trust revolvers more that the "slab sides" even though I carry one on the job and have only had two malfunctions in years. Thanks to all for the responses.
                  I do like wheel guns too. I carry 1 revolver off duty. AND while I agree that off duty is just that, OFF DUTY, I would not hesitate to act if absolutely necessary. I carry a 627 in 2 5/8" off duty and feel just fine. 8 rounds + 2 more speed loaders on my belt. Don't over think this. Don't get a 5 round 38 for off duty. Make it worth while and get at least a 6 shot 357 that can be reloaded with moon clips then practice for the "What if's."
                  Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    What about stepping up to a larger frame revolver? Maybe a 686 + ? Or even a 327 Federal magnum for 6 shots in a 5 round frame?

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Sackett why do you feel a need for two off duty revolvers?

                      I am aware of a several OD events that occurred during my 35 year law enforcement career. None, I repeat none required more rounds than found in a 2” 5 or 6 shot cylinder revolver.

                      I recall one particular event where a young officer with family was recognized and attacked on public street by a number of assailants armed with a rifle and hand guns.

                      This officer faced with dire circumstances did not panic, controlled his sense of urgency thus prevailed with a 2” .38 special revolver.

                      Taking into consideration this is a public forum with viewers from all walks of life not all with agendas favorable to LE, details of event in above post is intentionally vague.
                      Last edited by BTDT2; 04-16-2018, 06:37 PM. Reason: typo

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Kraut0783 View Post
                        sometimes the fastest reload is another gun. If it works for you, do it.
                        Ask Josie Wales

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          I have a .38 snub for off duty; I rarely carry it.

                          Why? Because my S&W shield with a Taran Tactical baseplate gives me 10+1 of 9MM and another 10 in a spare mag. The .38, while still effective, is not very common as the 9mm and .40 have taken over here.

                          Pros:
                          - quick aka no reloads
                          - a revolver will go bang MOST of the time
                          - snubs are easy to conceal

                          Cons:
                          - another gun you’ll have to worry about (especially in a scuffle)
                          - possible policy violation
                          - Two snubs of .38 IMO is less effective than a semi auto with spare mag.
                          - Prepare to be vilified by the media if you are involved in an OD incident (“he had two guns so he was looking for trouble”, “Officers are now acting like John Woo and using two guns at the same time” etc.)

                          Bottom line: if you are a snub guy, then practice with reloading using speed clips or speed loaders. I guarantee you the difference will be small in terms of time between a reload and drawing another fun.

                          As stated earlier, I have a .38, rarely carry if, but practice using my speed loaders and speed strips frequently and my reloads are fast.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by BP3 View Post
                            I have a .38 snub for off duty; I rarely carry it.

                            Why? Because my S&W shield with a Taran Tactical baseplate gives me 10+1 of 9MM and another 10 in a spare mag. The .38, while still effective, is not very common as the 9mm and .40 have taken over here.

                            Pros:
                            - quick aka no reloads
                            - a revolver will go bang MOST of the time
                            - snubs are easy to conceal

                            Cons:
                            - another gun you’ll have to worry about (especially in a scuffle)
                            - possible policy violation
                            - Two snubs of .38 IMO is less effective than a semi auto with spare mag.
                            - Prepare to be vilified by the media if you are involved in an OD incident (“he had two guns so he was looking for trouble”, “Officers are now acting like John Woo and using two guns at the same time” etc.)

                            Bottom line: if you are a snub guy, then practice with reloading using speed clips or speed loaders. I guarantee you the difference will be small in terms of time between a reload and drawing another fun.

                            As stated earlier, I have a .38, rarely carry if, but practice using my speed loaders and speed strips frequently and my reloads are fast.
                            I appreciate the sound advice. I would only use one revolver at a time, and hopefully would not have to even draw the second but what you are saying about two guns, and looking for trouble is valid. For what it's worth, I don't even own two snub revolvers. It was just a thought.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 3876 users online. 241 members and 3635 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X