300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catastrophic Failure: Glock 22

I am a Glock owner and a Glock fan. Our officers now have a choice of issued handguns. They can have a Glock 17 or a S/A 1911 in .45 ACP but it appears we may soon be ordered to purchase and issue Glock 22s.

My concern is; I have heard several stories of catastrophic failures ("KBs") of the Glock 22 while using factory, jacketed ammo.

One local deputy was competing in a tactical competition last November, with a brand new G22 and had never fired anything except quality factory ammo. He had a KB. No injuries, but it ruined the pistol. Prior to that, one of our armorers had a KB in his G22 (he was using lead bullets).

Has anyone else heard of these KBs in Glock 22s?? Any info is appreciated.

Danke

Old dog

I had an AK-47 blow up in my hands. Which is to say, any firearm loaded with a hot cartridge can "KB." It is very difficult to determine if it was the gun or ammo at fault.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I hate to beat a dead horse but..you're looking at a weapon that well over half the police in america use and many many private civilian use also. KB!s are going to happen. The percentage is probably no less or more than any other weapon if they sold as much as glock did. Like I said before..Im beating a dead horse by saying that.
      If he knocks your teeth out swallow them and hit back, never give up because an officer doesn't deserve to die on a dirty street.

Comment

Glocks use an unsupported barrel and are prone to firing out of battery more so than other makes but if you maintain your weapon well and only shoot factory loads your chances of having a KB are rather slim. Every weapon made in mass has had a few KB's like was said above.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Indiana State Police and Topeka (KS) PD both adopted the Glock 22. Due to reliability issues, both agencies traded out the 22's for 17's. Talk around the water cooler is that Glock changed the slide design for the 22 and that this resulted in malfunctions.

The odds are with you. Most Glocks function well. The company seems to be willing to fix problems while not admitting them. That said, I would suggest that you encourage your rangemasters to contact ISP and TPD before making the transition.
          John from Maryland

Comment

When did you trade out your 22's?
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by John from Maryland
              Indiana State Police and Topeka (KS) PD both adopted the Glock 22. Due to reliability issues, both agencies traded out the 22's for 17's. Talk around the water cooler is that Glock changed the slide design for the 22 and that this resulted in malfunctions.

The odds are with you. Most Glocks function well. The company seems to be willing to fix problems while not admitting them. That said, I would suggest that you encourage your rangemasters to contact ISP and TPD before making the transition.
              John, I appreciate the infomation. I will contact both of these agencies for assistance. The "up-grade" hasn't yet happened which means there is time to head it off at the pass.

Thanks
              OD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4581 users online. 304 members and 4277 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X