300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M&P 45

Has anyone here played with or fired the new Smith and Wesson M&P 45? I just noticed it on S&W's website the other day. I see that there are two versions. One looked like a standard M&P with a slightly longer barrel. The other had a tan frame and a frame mounted safety. Perhaps, this latter version was developed for the (now discontinued) military sidearm trials???

I dont think they are being shipped yet. I am waiting for one of my distributors to get one in. They sure look like just the ticket for the military but it will be the ruin of the company if they get the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by sig fan
      Has anyone here played with or fired the new Smith and Wesson M&P 45? I just noticed it on S&W's website the other day. I see that there are two versions. One looked like a standard M&P with a slightly longer barrel. The other had a tan frame and a frame mounted safety. Perhaps, this latter version was developed for the (now discontinued) military sidearm trials???
      You are correct regarding the orgin of the thumb safety version for the trials. Of course, you'll have to be willing to give up 1/3 the mag cap and a longer grip to get that .45 caliber vs. the .40, but at least the sectional density pundants will have an M&P for them now!
      Respectfully,
      SoCalXD
      Academy Recruit in CA

Comment

At the SHOT Show S&W said they were holding off on production of the .357 SIG models so they could build the .45 ACP models. This bugged me because I've been waiting for a .357 SIG. I thought they said that the .45 ACP would be out in June.
        "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

sig fan, Im a M&P Armorer and our department carries the M&P 40. EXCELLANT performer. The 45 is out but hold off, my smith rep says they are having issue's with them in 45acp..If you want that type hi-cap 45ACP go get a Springfield Armory XD 45acp Tactical (14shot)..Shoots like a dream..I would even check out that TAURUS PRO 24/7 as well. I used to ignore taurus for years and I have a Sig P220 and Im telling you they have the best guns for the best value out there today. Im gonna get a 24/7 Pro or OSS in 45 next if I dont get the 100 dollar more XD. I want a Hicap 45 also with a rail and dont wanna pay more than 550....The XD 45 Tactical was right around 450 but they won the G&A gun of the year so they shot up to over 550 so im having visions of that TAURUS...IVE HEARD THEIR 1911 is a racegun at value price that performs well.
          "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by sig fan
            I shot about 100 rounds through both .45ACP versions at S&W a couple of months ago. Both very accurate and recoil was very managable with the interchangable backstraps. The version with the 1911 style safety was interesting. S&W wouldn't come right out and say so but I think they are looking at bidding on the rumored replacement of the M9 and .45 service pistol competition.

Comment

XD .45...oh yeah, it still rocks. In the .40 though, the M&P has the edge. Outshoots most .40s I've handled.

Comment

NIGHTSHIFT,

What issues are they having with the M&P .45? Also, how long was the M&P armorer class? I'd love to get into one. Right now I'm just a glock armorer.

Comment

Oh man...just shot my M&P .45 a few days ago. This thing is a SHOOTER!

Comment

I have a gun trading disease as it is, but this was definitely worth the trade. I'd love to go to an armorer class on the M&P. I really liked the XD .45. I like the XD in general. But this M&P....I'm not sure how else to say this other than the M&P is a more refined weapon. Not refined as in fussy, just...smoother I guess. Long story short, I let the XD go for the M&P .45. And it was a good decision. However, if you've got hangups on capacity, you'll still want a Glock 21, HK USP .45, or Springfield XD .45. The M&P has 10+1 capacity. The upside is, you have a change of grip sizes and even the largest grip has a good palm swell shape to it. If you get a chance to try one of these, please do. It's my new .45 and will ride with 1911s. I think I'll keep my glocks in 9mm.

Comment

I purchased the M&P 45 while home on R&R leave from Iraq for Personal Protection / Carry and for the academy should I get accepted by the Clayton County Police Department GA.

I have put about 450 or so rounds through My weapon and absolutely love it. I did quite alot of research before making the purchase. My first choice was the Kimber Warrior 45 1911 but at $1200 that one will have to wait.

I picked mine up for $539. My best friend purchased the 40 cal version and he loves his. Gives a bit more kick but has higher mag capacity.

I do not think I would carry this weapon wiith a round in the chamber but then again I have only taken it to the range a few times while on R&R from Iraq. With a round chamberd it is ready to fire with only a tirgger safety similar to the glock. I am not sure what the typical practice is when carrying but I do know several people that do carry with a round chambered.

MacPointMan
                      "Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (George Orwell) RangerUp!!!

Long Live the sheepdog, for the sheep must graze.

My two best friends
                      Smith and Wesson
                      sigpic

Comment

Is their website correct? 10lb trigger????
                        "All statements made shall be protected by the First Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution in which I have sworn an oath to protect."

Just don't expect me to agree with yours...

Comment

I have played w/ one. Sioux Sales has 2 or 3 of them in. All are black frames w/ the thumb safety. Very nice. Very smooth trigger. They said they were having trouble getting any of the M&P 45's in w/o the thumb safety.

Comment

that is odd Because the thumb safety is an additional feature that is not even listed on the Smith & Wesson website. Thumb safety to my knowledge is a special order feature. Though I could be wrong.

The M&P series of weapons comes standard pretty much Glock style with only a trigger mechanism safety. There are a few other safety features built into the weapon that are listed on the website. Such as a Locking feature and a magazine safety feature that will not allow you to fire the weapon if the magazine has been removed with a round chambered. Thease features are the ones that my friend special ordered with his weapon the M&P 40.

I will say it again, it is a very fine weapon. I enjoy mine very much and can not wait to get home to take her back out to the range for some more practice.

MacPointMan
                            "Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (George Orwell) RangerUp!!!

Long Live the sheepdog, for the sheep must graze.

My two best friends
                            Smith and Wesson
                            sigpic

Comment

The thumb safety was added to compete for the military contract. That is a requirment.
                              "All statements made shall be protected by the First Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution in which I have sworn an oath to protect."

Just don't expect me to agree with yours...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4399 users online. 305 members and 4094 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X