300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Need" or "Want"

Hey guys, When you buy a new firearm is it out of need or want? Maybe a little of both? I just bought a Glock 27 and I am planning on carrying it off duty. I am thinking of buying another gun soon. I convinced myself that I "needed" the Glock. I have a Kahr P9 that I think is one of the best guns I have ever owned but was wanting a few more rounds in the magazine. I know I know "if I cant do it in 6 or 7 rounds I cant do it at all" I agree with that but after the 6 or 7 I would like a few more left in the mag you know just in case. Well anyway enough of that. What I was wanting to know is when you buy your next firearm will it be out of want or need? I have all I need as far as on-duty, off-duty. I have an XD-45, 2 Glocks a 27 and 19 and a P226 and of course the P9 I even have a Walther PPK/S that I dont really like that much. My next gun and I hope it will be soon is going to be a revolver. Possibly a Smith or maybe a Ruger. I just want another revolver which I currently have 3 of but like I said I "want" one I dont really "need" it. So back to my original question. What handgun or any firearm do you want and not really need? Oh and by the way if anyone is interested in the Walther PM me I can be talked into parting with it if it will further my next purchase.
    Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win

When it comes to firearms, "need" and "want" are indistinguishable.

Comment

I think it is possible to "want" something and talk yourself into "needing" it. It's easy for me to do...lol

Comment

I have purchased for both reasons. Unfortunately quite a few guns that I "wanted" now sit in my gun safe and collect dust. The few guns I've "need"ed tend to get lots of use. I can't even begin to count the number of rounds I've put through my Glock 23 and my S&W 637.

Comment

I wanted a Glock 22. I then convinced myself that I needed it to familiarize myself with the weapon that I will carry when I get hired on, so I bought one.
          I want a Glock 27. I have convinced myself that I will need one for a back up weapon in the future.
          I want an AR. I convinced myself that I will need one as a patrol rifle as the dept I hope to get on with does not issue, but allows personally owned.
          Do I need any of them? Not really but it's a great way to rationalize spending all that money.

BB

Comment

I have enough guns that I don't need any more. However, I seem to keep buying them. I shoot IDPA, and from time to time I "need" a new gun for that, but it still isn't a real need.

I think everyone who is into shooting needs the following:

1 good rifle, 1 good shotgun, and 3 good handguns for different applications. Past that it is all about want.
            -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

as long as they keep improving them to suit our needs, i'll keep on buying them. i just need to learn to get rid of all my dust collectors.

Comment

MikeG Im of that old belief also and like many have a safe full. But in wake of Va Tech I used to believe if I carried off duty that was fine and if I didnt that was fine also. I now think as cops and especially the ones in these forums who have an interest in firearms and knowledge to include skills We OWE it to citizens to always be armed. Especially with our abilities being even compared to other L.E. They are tools and the more tools you have the more you can pick which one to carry depending on the season and chores we are out doing when off. Shorts weather might be the pocket 38 airweight snubby, jeans weather may be duty or subcompact paddle carry. That justifys it for me. BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THEN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT" I dont know who said that quote but it is true to life.
                Last edited by Nightshift va; 04-22-2007, 02:19 PM.
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Nightshift I agree completely. I know alot of officers that think thier duty weapon is all they need. Most of them carry off-duty but when the gun is to big to conceal or they dont want to conceal it then its put in the trunk. I have several guns and I am qualified with 4 of the guns I own. I look at it like this. Tiger Woods doesnt play every hole with a 3 Iron.

Comment

Food, water, and shelter is all you need. Guns are wants. I "want" more myself but if I purchase any more my spouse will deprive me of food, water, and shelter which I "need".

Comment

Sure..."shelter" I'm SURE that's what she'll deprive you of

Comment

I try to stick with "need" so I haven't bought a gun in over four years. There are a few that I wouldn't mind having, but I can't justify the expense when the ones I already own do everything I need them to.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by BehindBars View Post
                          I wanted a Glock 22. I then convinced myself that I needed it to familiarize myself with the weapon that I will carry when I get hired on, so I bought one.
                          I want a Glock 27. I have convinced myself that I will need one for a back up weapon in the future.
                          I want an AR. I convinced myself that I will need one as a patrol rifle as the dept I hope to get on with does not issue, but allows personally owned.
                          Do I need any of them? Not really but it's a great way to rationalize spending all that money.

BB
                          I'd argue that point if your dept doesn't issue any of that. I'd say those are needs. Besides in an ever increasely violent world I'd rather had an AR and 60 little fast movers than a .40 and 31 little slow movers.
                          Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                          I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                          Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                          as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3191 users online. 177 members and 3014 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X