300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockbox or pistol safe

whats up guys. I am looking for a small safe or lock box that I can throw my duty and off duty in, without having to pull them out every time from the big safe. What would you guys recommend?

i was looking at the stack on lock boxes with the key. Would a child be able to pry that open? Looks like you can fit one in each and they are 20 bucks each. If they are not safe enough I will stick with the big safe .

What do you guys recommend ?

Thanks

Personal preference, so your individual situation should guide you. My buddy used to place his duty pistol on the top of his refrigerator to keep it out of reach of his daughter, but I don't know what he did when she got bigger.

I used to remove my pistol from my holster, but I can't remember now what I did with it since it has been a while now. I did that to keep it out of reach of my two daughters, but I then began leaving it in the holster after they grew since they NEVER EVER showed interest in firearms. Also, I was very aware if they had friends over so I acted accordingly.

This isn't here nor there, but I did leave my pistol at home a couple of times when I showed up for duty. The first time, I think someone saw it missing, but I noticed it missing the second time. I went straight home after briefing to get it without anyone else noticing. This is one of the things that can happen if you do remove your pistol for safety storage during off hours.

I have a lock box I had to use for an airline flight earlier this year, and it can be gotten into by older children if they had the will, time and tools to do so. However, they are relatively safe. It also came with a cable so it can be attached to something. I never had a safe, but that is the best bet with a larger expense.

Comment

These folks offer a whole slew of boxes https://www.bulldogcases.com/product-category/vaults/

I bought two of their One Touch vaults to be mounted in my vehicles and absolutely love them.

No matter what their catalog price is, if you do a little shopping on the internet you can usually find it for 25% less or better . My vaults were listed for $51 each and I found a dealer offering them for $37.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

What do you want a lock box for? If it's to protect from kids, that's one thing. to protect from theft, that's another. Pretty much any quality lockbox marketed for handguns will adequately protect from kids opening it...from what I've seen. That is, unless your kids have access to things like reciprocating saws and angle grinders.

Comment

Merlin,

I'm wondering if he lives in California, that requires unattended firearms to be locked up if they are in a place where minors under 18 might have access to them.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I tend to like the ones that are decent-sized, similar to a large shoebox and with digital keypad access. The smaller ones are nice for traveling, but they're much easier to walk off with and they don't hold much. A decent sized box will hold spare ammunition, cuffs, knives, holsters, badges, credentials, radio, etc. Pretty much everything duty-related that could use secure storage...and it's bulky and heavy enough to discourage a lot of kids from the work of moving/opening it.
            Last edited by merlin436; 10-30-2017, 06:13 AM.

Comment

I'd get something along the lines of this...

https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...2/product.html

Buy once, cry once and have something substantial enough to store a goodly amount of stuff...and portable enough to move from room-to-room, when needed.

Comment

I have a two year old. That’s what I want the box for. I could just leave it on the top shelf in my closet now that the refrigerator was mentioned.

Comment

You could just drop the mag, clear it and put a cable lock through it.

Comment

My agency bought one of these to install in our transport van

It works well

https://www.deansafe.com/gubio10bifha.html
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Speedtech213 View Post
                      I have a two year old. That’s what I want the box for. I could just leave it on the top shelf in my closet now that the refrigerator was mentioned.
                      Again, this is all personal preference, but incidents involving an unsecured firearm sometimes end with tragic consequences. Just like in an auto accident, the people involved NEVER thought they were going to be in an accident when they woke up that day. Here in Texas, a person can be charged with "Texas Penal Code 46.13. MAKING A FIREARM ACCESSIBLE TO A CHILD", with a Class C misdemeanor (ticket level) at the low end and a Class A misdemeanor arrest at the high end of this statute, the level depending if anyone was seriously injured or killed or not. I'm betting other states have similar statutes.

I'm a firearms guy so I have loaded and ready firearms sitting out around my house. My children are grown so it is just me and my wife now, but in this day and age, securing firearms is the best bet, even in my situation...I just choose not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        My agency bought one of these to install in our transport van

It works well

https://www.deansafe.com/gubio10bifha.html
                        I just found out we are buying a second one to install in our deputies squad room to hold two "spare" handguns that would be available for any of our weapons certified staff (nearly everyone including dispatchers and administrative assistants) in case of an emergency
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Stack-on is a pretty crappy option, it's like the Wal-Mart brand of safes. I recently picked up a American Security pistol box and it is very nice/well made. There are holes in the bottom to mount to shelf or whatever. You can also run a cable through it for your car or if you want to move it somewhere else. Only bad thing is the Simplex lock only has so many combos, and if someone is bored they'll be able to get inside in about 15 min. Not a fan of biometric as the tech is spotty.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Secu...n+security+box
                          In Valor there is hope

Comment

I don't mess with my duty belt. I take it off, and it goes right on the top shelf of my big safe. As others mentioned, I don't want to show up to work without a gun. My belt also has OC and a Taser, both of which need to stay out of reach of my daughter and any future children.

I'm getting this for another pistol, and I'm going to mount it in my closet. It will be obscured by clothing as it is nowhere near theft proof. But it should work fine to deny children.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4131 users online. 208 members and 3923 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X