300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caring for my firearm

I'm looking for some help in regards to my firearm. I own a Sig P226 and its starting to rust a little. Can anyone recommend something to prevent this from further happening.

Originally posted by RunnerCop
    I'm looking for some help in regards to my firearm. I own a Sig P226 and its starting to rust a little. Can anyone recommend something to prevent this from further happening.
    You're not specific as to where its rusting. if it is the finish, I would wipe it down really well and try to get off what i could. Then use some kind of gun oil and put a light coat on it, very light. If the rust is a little more you can remove it with jewelers steel wool and do the same. Try to keep it in a low moisture envirnoment, store properly and all. Do not use naval jelly to remove rust as that will take whatever finish is left off as well.

Comment

It has been my experience that the Sig is prone to rusting. The above advice will be good to help control it, but I would expect it to be a continuous problem.

Comment

runnercop,

i have carried three different sigs and all i have ever done is wiped them down weekly with a silicone gun and reel cloth. if i get stuck out in the rain for any period of time, i will make sure i wipe the gun down at the end of the shift. so far i have not seen any rust on anything aside from the factory grip screws which i have since replaced with stainless.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I work foot patrol so my firearm feels the wrath of all the wonderful weather NY has to offer. I'll take your advice and wipe it down once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerCop
            Thanks for the advice, I work foot patrol so my firearm feels the wrath of all the wonderful weather NY has to offer. I'll take your advice and wipe it down once a week.
            How do you store it when you're off-duty? Or are you still carrying it as your off-duty gun?
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I keep it in my locker or I'll carry it as my off duty.

Comment

I remove my gun from my holster every end of shift and make a visual check for rust - and place it on the shelf of my locker. If my holster's damp, this allows it to dry out as well, without the gun inside. The silicone/reel cloth is a good suggestion to wipe the weapon down down, both pre- and post- shift. A wipe of the holster's a good idea, as well.

Be safe!
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

If you decide to make an investment, you can have the steel parts refinished. Electroless nickel is excellent and looks sharp (like the two-tone guns from the factory). Last time I checked the slide & frame mounted steel parts would have cost be about $70 to electroless nickel.

If you have a little more money to spend, there are some really neat finishes out there like Roguard & NP3 from Robar.

The other advice on here is excellent for maintaining the current finish.
                  "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Where is the rust? Is it in the barrel or on the wear marks? One spot I have noticed on my 226 is the crevice where the rear site is in the frame, which of course is not covered by the holster. A little surface rust won't hurt if taken care of and is usually dusty in texture. When rust is a problem is when it goes unchecked and is allowed to start ruining the finish and pitting the metal. Use a brass parts brush and Hoppes 9 cleaner then wipe off. I use Qtips or the swabs on the long sticks to get the crevices and apply the lubricant. If you are worried about moisture then try WD40. It displaces moisture and is penetrating.
                    You really need to clean on a regular basis. The wetter or more humid the weather the more often you need to just wipe down parts and don't forget to put a patch thru the barrel too. When a gun is stored the lubricant tends to "settle". Should take you no more than 5-10 mins.
                    One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

The Sig 226 unlike most of the other carried sigs that are "Black Stainless steel" such as the 228 and the 229 are known to rust and wear sometimes just sitting out. Other than those two the older models that aren't black stainless or "K"Koted SUCK as far as fininish which has been one of the reasons I say they were overrated on point. If you keep your 226 or any gun for that matter in a Leather holster even overnight indoors it's like "Cooking" the metal. Leather breathes and collects moisture out of the air even room temperture so if you do that, stop. Nylon and Plastic holsters dont grab the moisture out of the air as much. Send your 226 back to sig and pay 80 bucks and have it "K" Koted or trade it in for a 228 or 229. Im not a big fan of Glock as I used to be but in the early 90's when they started opening eyes the tennifer finish set them apart from everyone. Now most all firearms come with atleast a Melonite finish if not Black Stainless..
                      "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Also the best thing ive ever seen is a product called "INHIBITOR". It is a chemical that you wipe on weapons to defeat rust. I keep one towelette in my safe and my guns glow. CCLAWDOG No offense, but no rust is good, even surface. Strip it even if it means taking the blueing off fhen wife it til the patch isnt brown then coat it in Hoppes 9 and "INHIBITOR" then send it to sig and tell them to "K" Kote it
                        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Im not sure if by keeping your weapon in a "locker" you mean a locker room. But over exposure to a damp or steamy environment (ie. a locker room with showers) would definately contribute to rusting. As for using WD40, i would advise against it. Its not designed for weapons, and may destroy the bluing. There are several brand names of a product called C.L.P. (I work in my units armory, and I highly recomend it). This stuff is designed to clean, lube and protect your weapon from rust. A spray can of the stuff might cost $7.
                          Last edited by reils49; 04-12-2007, 02:17 PM.
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

To get the rust off the gun, take some fine (0000 grade) steel wool and put some regular gun oil on it. Buff the Rust out then thoroughly clean and dry your gun. Put a thin coating of oil on the problem spots and wipe then entire thing down with a silicone cloth either before you go out in bad weather or just after every regular cleaning. If this does not help, maybe you should consider carrying something else, if at all possible.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5554 users online. 325 members and 5229 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X