300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best value for a Revolver?

I currently own a Springfield XD Service Model 9, and I'm thinking about picking up a revolver as a home defense only weapon. I use the XD for both home defense and the range. So to my question ... what do you guys recommend for a nice solid revolver?

The handgun I recommend to most people looking for an all around revolver is the Smith & Wesson Model 65 (or Model 13 in blue steel) in either a 3 or 4 inch barrel.

I like the 65 for an overall gun because it is smaller than the big L-Frames, but still chambers .357 magnum. The 3-inch model was the issue gun for the FBI for many years.
    "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Well you can still find good deals on PD trade in model 10's. It may not chamber the 357 but if you buy a late enough model it will eat +P's all day long. Then consider Speer's gold dot round for short barreled revolvers, it's designed to reliably open up even when shot from a 17/8" snubbie. It's suppose to function great in 3&4" revolvers.
      Forti Fors Bona

Comment

Im a big fan the S&W Model 624 in .44 special. Nice big round without the severe punishment of the magnum loads. It can be a little pricey, so my next bet would be the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in the same caliber. You can pick them up cheap and despite some issues are actually a decent little gun. It'll hurt more to shoot than the S&W though.
        Last edited by SRT936; 03-24-2007, 03:07 PM.
        \

Comment

The Ruger SP101 (small-frame) and GP100 (medium-frame) are notorious in their durability. They can handle the hottest .357 Magnum ammo you can find. They are also a little less-expensive than the S&W's, but S&W IS the standard and they make several revolvers that will fit the bill. I happen to like the Model 60. Taurus also makes some pretty good revolvers for the money, Quite durable and well-made.
          Sphinx

“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible." - George Washington

Comment

Honestly, its hard to go wrong with a revolver, there are so many good ones.
            In addition to whats mentioned here, I'd vote for the Ruger Six series (Security, Speed, Service). Not expensive, built like tanks.
            Only thing to avoid is the new Charter2000 guns and some of the old Spanish and German junk revolvers.

Comment

Matters much what you intend to use it for. If you are thinking of a patrol gun, you can't go wrong with a 4 or 6" barreled S/W, Colt, or Ruger. If you're thinking ankle or backpocket BUG, I'd stick with a S/W 2". (had the Ruger GP101, it was a bit too meaty to sit on all shift so I went with a shrouded hammer S/W 2"). If you're talking target and accuracy shooting, you can't hardly go wrong with a niiiiice 8" Colt Python, IMHO.

YMMV,

EDJ
              "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

The Taurus 4410 is a nifty revolver for home defense. It chambers either the .45LC round, or the .410 shotgun round. I have to believe that with 5 rounds of .410 loaded with #4 shot, it'd take care of most problems I can think of. Here's a link to a prior posting about the gun for more info.

Comment

I'm a Smith revolver fan so that would be my first suggestion. You start with some of the cheaper models like the model 10 or go all the way up to some of the new Scandium models. You also couldn't go wrong with a Ruger GP100. Ruger builds some very durable firearms, at reasonable prices. Shop around and have fun.

Comment

Revolvers

All of this talk about Revolvers has me grinning from ear to ear. In a semi auto world I am a big revolver fan. Heck, a GP100 with a back up snub would get you through any patrol situation in my opinion. I am curious about something along these lines. Are there any officers out there that feel that a revolver would get you through 99.9% of patrol situations that you have encountered ?

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2635 users online. 146 members and 2489 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X