Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The majority of my investigative case load consists of officer involved shootings and I can say that I have never worked a shooting where the officer utilized an optic equipped handgun. With that being said, I've also never investigated an incident where I felt that a pistol optic would have improved the situation any... if that helps.

Having used optic equipped pistols on the range, I'll say this: they're surprisingly different. My personal experience has been that sight acquisition is completely different. When using optics on pistol platforms that I'm familiar with, I find that when presenting the gun to obtain a proper sight picture, muscle memory has me place the weapon at a location that is too high to immediately find the dot in the optic. This is, of course, due to the fact that the optic is placed higher above the bore access than iron sights typically set. The takeaway- anyone coming from a traditional iron sight equipped handgun should really spend quite a bit of time behind the gun on the range before sticking it in the holster and going 10-8. So the overall cost of the project should also include additional ammunition and training time for each officer.

From a practicality/maintenance standpoint. Most handgun platforms will require that the factory sights be replaced with suppressor height sights if co-witnessing iron sights is of importance. Otherwise, the iron sights will usually sit below the floor of the optic and be rendered, essentially useless. My opinion is that a backup is always important. Most of the popular pistol optics run off batteries (although there are certain models, with their own downsides, that do not require batteries... at least within the Trijicon RMR lineup). So, if your batteries fail and you are not running suppressor height iron sights along WITH the optic, you really have no sights to utilize. Most say, however, that replacing the batteries in your Trijicon RMR every year should be sufficient, however. It's just something else to worry about remembering to do.

All in all, they're cool, popular, and have benefits but I don't know that, by my estimation, the perceived cons would really make it worth the transition. Especially at about $750 per pistol (on top of the pistol cost).... for reference, that's figured at about $100 for slide milling/Glock MOS price difference, ~$100 for suppressor height sights, and~$550 for a Trijicon RMR.

Comment

There have been several OIS’s now with RDS pistols throughout the country. I understand that Aaron Cowan, Chuck Haggard and Steve Fisher, among other trainers, have spoken directly to cops involved in OIS’s with a pistol RDS. While I can’t put myself into a position to say whether their situation was made better or worse by the RDS, I can say that having used a rifle in combat with both irons and an optic, I will take an optic any day of the week. Maintaining a target-focus has significant advantage over a sight-focus methodology, which is what is needed for using iron sights. Yes, we’ve made it hundreds of years with iron sights, but that doesn’t mean that it’s still always going to be the best method. Situation and shooter will always dictate the efficacy of something on a subjective level. The pistol RDS is a subjective component at this point, and should be evaluated on the individual basis. For some of us, the juice is worth the squeeze.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
      -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

I have an RMR 06 type 2 on a Glock 34 that I have been experimenting with since the end of the summer. (My gun has the slide milled and is not the MOS version)

A bunch of local agencies have just recently allowed RDS sights as an option.

So far, I have found the RDS easier to use in dim light and it makes it easier to shoot accurately at distance. When shooting drills I have not yet noticed I was any faster on target.

I think the RDS is probably the wave of the future.

I'm taking a class with Modern Samurai Project in May that focuses on the use of the RDS equipped pistol.

Comment

Bump.

Can anyone here confirm the set-up of G17, RMR, Ameriglo GL-581 (***specifically***) fitting into a Safariland 6360RDS holster?

This needs to work the first time and Safariland CS isn't/can't answer me specifically.
          If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick View Post
            Bump.

Can anyone here confirm the set-up of G17, RMR, Ameriglo GL-581 (***specifically***) fitting into a Safariland 6360RDS holster?

This needs to work the first time and Safariland CS isn't/can't answer me specifically.
            Yes, it will fit. Guaranteed. A buddy of mine is running that exact setup.
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
            -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedo View Post

Yes, it will fit. Guaranteed. A buddy of mine is running that exact setup.
              ****... forgot to specify G17MOS.

It's hard to get a straight answer these days. Safariland would only commit to suppressor-height sights fitting but not the GL-581s because they are even taller due to MOS making the RMR ride a little higher thus requiring slightly higher sights.

Is your buddy running a G17MOS with the GL-581? Getting the slide milled is a non-starter... MOS or bust for us.
              If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Comment

He has a Gen4 G17MOS.

I run a Gen4 G17MOS also, but with the Trijicon suppressor height night sights. Those are 0.365”, and I have clearance above the sights. The GL-581 are 0.350” high.
                Last edited by Reedo; 02-07-2019, 10:34 PM.
                -John Adams

Comment

Cool... thanks man. Maybe that's the information I need also: What height sight is needed to co-witness with an RMR on top of MOS models?

When we demo'ed the guns, the Ameriglo blacked out rear with orange circle/ glow dot on the front post was universally favored.

Sorry for my ignorance. We've been issued P229 DA/SA since before I got hired 16 years ago, so this is a pretty big change coming and I'm tasked with getting to go as smoothly as possible.

Comment

Basically all suppressor height sights work. The only differentiation you’re going to get is where those sights will sit in the optic window. So basically, where the cowitness is. Pretty much everyone in my agency running a Glock MOS is using Trijicons. I am using the blacked-out night sights (front and rear) so that I don’t have anything bright competing for attention in the window of the optic besides the illumination. It’s just my personal preference. My Trijicons are at about the lower 1/3 level of the optic window or slightly higher.

9D68ADF2-25DB-43F1-AFC9-97C9D7CA9AC0.jpeg

I think there are only about 4 companies with suppressor height night sights for Glocks. Trijicon, AmeriGlo, Tru-Glo and XS. AmeriGlo is really the only one making really high suppressor night sights at up to 0.395” or something like that. I’m sure that is what Safariland was thinking about when they wouldn’t give you a guarantee of fitment.
                    -John Adams

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10739 users online. 334 members and 10405 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X