Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer my Mossberg 590 for home defense

Comment

Full size, duty-grade 9mm pistols are my first recommendation for someone looking for a personal defense handgun. The weight, full size grip, and full length barrel make these guns easier to shoot than more compact offerings. Most will have a capacity of 15-17 rounds, meaning firepower is significant. Quality personal defense ammo in 9mm, .40 caliber, and .45 all have basically the same terminal performance, and what minisicule advantage the larger rounds have is negated by 9mm because of cost, capacity, and shootability. Glock models 19, 17, and 34 are all excellent choices. The SIG P320 Fullsize and Carry models, the fullsize line of S&W M&P pistols, and the Walther PPQ are all examples of quality choices.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/wea...mmunition.aspx

http://looserounds.com/2014/09/21/fb...ning-division/

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post448122
      "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Long guns present challenges that must be considered. They are harder to maneuver in close quarters and generally require two-hand manipulation, which presents disadvantages in situations like carrying children to safety. That said, they are easier to shoot well and offer superior ballistic performance.

For home defense always remember to have a white light, like the Surefire X300 Ultra, and be sure to positively identify your target. I would encourage everyone to check out Claude Werner's work on negative outcomes at www.tacitcalprofessor.com. A simply, "whose there" or "get out of my house," can save a tragedy like shooting a loved one mistaken as an intruder.

Also, ammo selection is an important part of the equation, and Dr. Gary Roberts is a reliable source of information on this topic.
        https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Se...mozTocId803443
        "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

I have a small child in the house. My duty weapon, backup, and long gun stay in a safe in the garage. As such, they are not easily accessible to me for the home defense scenario. While there are many options for securing a long gun, there are many more for a handgun, and it takes up far less space.
          If this is not a carry weapon and it will just stay inside your home, I say why not get a full-size pistol? They're more comfortable to shoot, and they have a little bit higher ammo capacity. Also, a weapon light is a must.
          I consider the possibility of a break-in while I'm home slightly higher than someone who works normal daytime hours. I'm usually home sleeping during peak burglary hours. Also, I often don't bother getting up when the doorbell rings because it's usually just a solicitor or package delivery.

If you're going to become a gun owner, please get some good training. A lot of law enforcement officers have side-businesses where they do this type of training. And remember, don't shoot before you know what you're shooting at. That means no shooting through closed doors or shooting people in your yard. It could be a police officer pursuing a fleeing felon in your yard at 3:00 a.m. Or it could be the neighbors' mentally retarded child who has wandered off.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9446 users online. 522 members and 8924 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X