357 sig or .40 cal opinions please

I would like opinions on this. For duty use. 357 Sig or .40 cal
    Follow me!

Let your conscience be your guide!

Originally posted by ofcp2

I would prefer the .40, my favorite is a Sig P229R DAK in .40

The officers here use the Glock 22 in the .40 S&W. They don't have an option.

Comment

I carry a HK USPc in .357sig and I like it alot, accurate and flat shooting. I haven't had to shoot any people with it but some impromptu porcupine ballistic testing with 125gr Gold Dots has been quite promising, all one shot stops.
      The Maine Warden Service and Aroostook County S.O. carry the .357sig also, same ammo, and the guys I've spoken to are very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by WC145
        I carry a HK USPc in .357sig and I like it alot, accurate and flat shooting. I haven't had to shoot any people with it but some impromptu porcupine ballistic testing with 125gr Gold Dots has been quite promising, all one shot stops.
        The Maine Warden Service and Aroostook County S.O. carry the .357sig also, same ammo, and the guys I've spoken to are very happy with it.
        One shot stops, define please. One shot stops as far as incapacitating a person would be a to sever the spinal cord., however I do agree the 357 sig is a good round, here in the Ohio area mose dept's are against the 357 sig do to over penetration. Your thoughts please.
        Follow me!

Let your conscience be your guide!

Comment

One shot stops, define please. One shot stops as far as incapacitating a person would be a to sever the spinal cord., however I do agree the 357 sig is a good round, here in the Ohio area mose dept's are against the 357 sig do to over penetration. Your thoughts please.
          Re-read my post, they were one-shot stops on PORCUPINES, all immediately incapacitating, all fatal. Total number of porcupines that have given their lives in the interest of ballistic curiosity as of this writing = 7.

Personally, I haven't had any over penetration issues. In some totally unscientific impromptu "abandoned house interior wall" ballistic testing I fired one round the 125gr Gold Dot that penetrated a mirror and both sides of a plaster wall then flew about 20', hit a kitchen cabinet and fell to the floor. Based on this I don't think that over penetration on a human would be an issue however I have noticed that they will completely penetrate a porcupine, at least when shot through the head or side, although I think that if you shot a big one lengthwise it might not go all the way through.

Oh yeah, one other thing - it's REALLY LOUD when fired inside a house!

Like I said, none of this is scientific, just my personal observations. If you want to know how it works on people you'll have to ask somebody else, because, as I stated in my first post, I haven't shot any with it.
          Last edited by WC145; 01-20-2007, 08:51 AM. Reason: I left out a word

Comment

Richmond (VA) PD adopted the SigPro 2340 in 357SIG several years ago. The round has done well in firefights. If I recall correctly, seven of the first eight shootings were fatal. One other was an extremity hit which resulted in an immediate drop.

The rangemaster told me that they did have to purchase better ear protection for the range. They also changed the division of range/classroom training so that officers did not fire as many rounds in each individual block of instruction as they did with the 9mm.
            John from Maryland

Comment

I have never shot a .357 Sig but I have heard a few good things about it. I have also heard that ammo is a bit harder to find but I dont know like I said I do not own one. I might check into it though.
              Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win

Comment

I like my SIG .40. I've never had any problems with it. I've probably shot somewhere around 5,000 rounds out of it and have never had it jam on me.

Comment

I would have been pleased had my dept adopted the .40 some years ago, but they didn't.

They did adopt the .357 Sig and I am just plumb tickled about it, I love the current P229 DAO we carry and I love the round. I have a few thousand rounds of brass in .357 Sig and two sets of dies so I'm set for when I retire, I can feed this P229 a long time.

.357 Sig ammo in 125 grain loadings was configured to come as close, ballistically speaking, to the Federal 125 grain JHP .357 Magnum which was the #1 ... one shot stopping pistol round at the time. The case is shorter, the pressure high, the bang loud, but as long as that 125 gr JHP gets the velocity before leaving the end of the barrel, it don't care.

If I were purchasing it myself, not sure which way I'ld go, but with either I'ld have a plenty capable round. The .40 is a straight wall case, a bit easier to reload.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM.
                  "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Which can you deliver faster followup shots with?

Which are you more accurate with?

Which has a better feel to you?

Comment

On thing to take into consideration is availability. I regularly practice with my weapons. Can you just go to the local Gandermountain, Walmart, or are you forced to pay top dollar at the gun shop?? My question is affordability to practice. You can buy .40 ammo anywhere. Many departments carry this round, and it can be easily found. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I like them both. The state patrol here in Oklahoma issues Sig P226's in .357 Sig, and the Oklahoma City Police issues Glock 22's in .40 caliber. I think overall the .40 is obviously a more popular round, and thereby easier to comeby and slightly less expensive...but not so much so that it would keep me from going with the .357 if that is what I really wanted.

I have a Glock 35, the longer slide .40 called the "practical/tactical" and what I would like to see is a .357 Sig barrel for this gun. I wonder what the extra .7 inch barrel length would do for the ballistics.
                        "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

I have a 357 Sig and love it. Carry a 40 Glock on duty and it is good too. Buy a 357. Then buy a 40 barrel. If you can't find 357 rnds. then use the omni-present 40 cal. 357's have been gaining popularity in my part of the world. Very accurate round. Very fast, and very flat shooting for distances that a ridicusly long for a handgun. I watched a guy from a neighboring dept. continously ring the hell out of a steel pepper popper at 150 yrds. w/ his Glock 31C. I haven't heard of overpenetration issues however, that doesn't mean they don't exist either. All in all a fine round.

Comment

I'm fortunate enough to work for an agency that allows us to carry virtually whatever we want - within reason and as long as we qualify with it.

Our ISSUED firearm is a .40 Glock, fullsize for those who need it, and midsize for others. I will be purchsing a fullsize Springfield XD tactical very soon to carry on-duty

Comment

The only potential problem I can see with the .357 Sig is the question of availability. At this point, .357 Sig hasn't really "caught on" with LE or with civilian shooters. From the reviews I've seen, it's an excellent round, but it is still up in the air whether or not it will become a popular round or will go the way of the 10mm. Personally, I think that will only be resolved if the .357 Sig can prove itself to be a dramatic improvement over both the 9mm and .40...something that isn't going to be easy. For that reason, it's still rather expensive ammo-wise. Of course, that can be easily solved (as other have mentioned) by getting a pistol that can be easily converted between .357 Sig and .40. I've considered trading in my Sig p239 9mm for the .357 Sig/.40 version.

As for overpenetration, I doubt that it's an issue. Overpenetration in most modern LE rounds is generally a myth. Personally, I don't know a department that carries anything besides some version of the JHP which, by its very ballistic nature, is highly resistant to overpenetration issues. Even the 9mm, which is a very fast and relatively small round, only shows major overpenetration issues when you're using supersonic ball ammo.
                              Last edited by Bing_Oh; 01-22-2007, 02:14 AM.
                              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3057 users online. 149 members and 2908 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X