300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used the S&W M&P?

Found out that the Dept. I'm processing with is changing issue weapons to the above mentioned SW MP. Anyone used/purchased one? Just trying to get a feel for what I may be using.

Thanks

I'm also curious about this weapon. I've seen it online and on gunbroker.com, but never in person, and of course never fired one. Anyone with info would be much appreciated. I'm currently looking at ordering a 357 SiG Springfield XD V-10, but the M&P looks nice as well.
    "If you are ever forced to reach for and draw a firearm, your very next steps, without hesitation,
    should be to gain sight picture and pull the trigger. Repeatedly." - My Grandfather, Gunnery Sgt, USMC (ret.)

"Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies
    subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes
    from society." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by EvanWeeks
      I'm also curious about this weapon. I've seen it online and on gunbroker.com, but never in person, and of course never fired one. Anyone with info would be much appreciated. I'm currently looking at ordering a 357 SiG Springfield XD V-10, but the M&P looks nice as well.
      Cincinnati, Ohio issues them now, I am told lots of problems with the M&P.
      Mags falling out after first shot, jamming. Wilminton, Ohio also having problems with the mags falling out, Now this info hasn't been confirmed by myself, this is info that was given to me buy a dealer in Columbus that sells to our local police depts. 1-614-471-7353 Vances Shooters
      Glock still has 70% of LE then Sig
      Follow me!

Let your conscience be your guide!

Comment

Originally posted by ofcp2
        Mags falling out after first shot, jamming. Wilminton, Ohio also having problems with the mags falling out, Now this info hasn't been confirmed by myself, this is info that was given to me buy a dealer in Columbus that sells to our local police depts. 1-614-471-7353 Vances Shooters

Huh. Not what I want to hear. Hoping they can get the kinks worked out before I (hopefully) begin. Thanks, ofcp2.

Comment

I own an M&P in .40S&W. It has had zero problems. It feeds anything, it is very accurate, and it feels great in my hand. About the only thing negative I have to say about it is that the spare magazines cost about twice as much as Glock mags.

I also have a Glock 22, which is as close as one can get to the M&P40 in a Glock. I like the G22, but IMO the M&P is a better pistol.

I expect most of the stories about problems are just that, stories. Obviously when a department buys a bunch of pistols some are going to be better than others. Every manufacturer makes a lemon now and then.

My department is in the process of switching to the M&P40 (I don't have one yet, but many have been issued) and we have not had any problems.
          -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
            I love mine. After putting a few hundred rounds through it the first time out, I decided to sell my Glock 22. I love this pistol, I don't think I'll ever shoot my personal Glock again. Now if I can get the dept to switch over, I would be a happy camper.

Feels great in my hand, low recoil, sights snap right back on target. I was hitting my steel silhouette at 25yds like a metronome. 1 shot every.5sec. clang, clang, clang, clang, clang, clang, clang, clang, clang, clang, clang, every one right on target.
            I am a reserve officer with a department in Virginia where I provide my own duty weapon. I actually have two, and carry whichever I feel like when I do my monthly hours. One is a Glock 22, the other is a S&W 4566TSW. I would have used the M&P40 instead of the G22, but I couldn't find a duty holster I liked for the M&P. Perhaps by the time qualifications roll around again I will be able to find a holster I like and I can switch from the G22 to the M&P. Right now I am mostly carrying the 4566TSW anyway.

Luckily my full-time gig in NC is going to the M&P40.
            -Landric

Comment

While practicing with my issued S&W 5946 at the Cincinnati Police range this spring, the instructors let us test fire the S&W M&P. I fired about 100 rounds with it. I didn't shoot very well with it...probably because the trigger pull is so much different (lighter) than the 5946 which I am used to. The Cincinnati Officers that qualified with the M&P during the transition really ended up liking it...at least the dozen or so that I talked to.
              "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

I love mine

As you can tell from my name I love Sigs, but I gotta tell you...the M&P 40 is running a VERY close second. It is accurate and soft shooting and has a lower bore axis than the Sigs have, which cuts down on shot recovery time. And when you take price into account, it wins. I paid $410.00 for mine out the door and extra mags cost $29.00 off of Gunbroker.com. I have over 600 rounds of various hollowpoint ammo through my M&P 40 and did not have one problem. It is very ergonomic, reminds me of a Hi Power. The early runs of them did have some problems with the mag release dropping the mags and light primer strikes, but that has been cleared up. S&W just announced release of the compact version, can't wait to get one for CCW.

Comment

After the Sigma thing and S&W's deal with HUD, they can't afford another screwup.

S&W better get this gun R-I-G-H-T or they are going to be in serious trouble.

Comment

True

Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT
                    After the Sigma thing and S&W's deal with HUD, they can't afford another screwup.

True statement, Mitchell.
                    "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT

Vey true, but my experience so far suggests that they finally have gotten it right. To bad it was almost 20 years after Glock did it.
                      -Landric

Comment

I have a M&P .40 as my duty weapon and have had no problems with it. I actually like it and it shoots very accurate out of the box. My only complaint is the availability/price of extra mags. It feels almost as good as my Glock 22. The M&P also comes with 3 interchangeable backstraps to fit a variety of hands.
                        "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Has anyone heard when they might have the M&P in 45 ACP?

Comment

I was weary at first of the M&P. Thought another Smagma POS I was issued at one time. Boy, was I wrong. Beats a Glock. I fired one that is T&E model that has many depts. shoot it and has well over 1500 rnds. through it. Great feel. Less recoil, and more accurate than my G22. Cinninati PD, Columbus PD,NCHP, and now Iowa State Patrol have gone to them. The LE Smith dist. in my town said the 45ACP will be a 1/4 inch longer& no wider than the 40 cal. Should be out in December. 357 Sig out next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ofcp2
                              Smith changed the dimensions of the mag well to address this problem, apparently the mag could twist out of the mag catch on original frame. The Smith rep drove from MI to my department just to switch out my frame. Rep gave me three extra mags and the extended slide stop upgrade for free. That's customer service. Rest assured Smith is gonna keep Cincy and Columbus happy.

I use the M&P as my instructor gun and so far have 5,000 rounds through it w/o a single problem.
                              Last edited by JRT6; 11-08-2006, 01:08 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3063 users online. 152 members and 2911 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X