300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which weapon and brand?

Hello everyone I am a future LEO, however I am going to go ahead and buy a gun and practice alot before I head to the academy. My agency doesn't issue one specific gun so I am having trouble decideing which one to buy. I am looking at a Sig Sauer P-229r DAK in .357 sig., Glock 31, Smith and Wesson M&P in .357 sig., H&K P2000 in .357 sig, or Springfield XD. If anyone has experiences with any of these guns please post. Thanks in advance.

Reason I am going for .357 is I want to become apart of my State Highway Patrol and and they issue .357 sigs. They issue Glock 31's but I heard it could change to Sig Sauer P-229r DAK's so I don't know.

My personal recommendation would be the SIG 229, but any of the weapons you list will likely prove satisfactory. I would have some reservations about the M&P as the weapon is comparatively new on the market (especially in 357SIG). That said, I hear good things about the M&P generally and it will probably prove to be an effective performer.

I would offer a couple of caveats. First, most firearms instructors do not prefer that recruits practice on their own prior to entering law enforcement. All too often, the recruits have picked up bad habits or use procedures different than taught at the academy. If you have an interest in shooting, go ahead and buy a gun, but do not feel a need to get a leg up prior to the academy.

Secondly, I would not base weapon selection strictly on what agency to which you want to belong. As you've already discovered, issue weapons may change. Moreover, while I wish you success is your endeavors, there is no guarantee that you'll be employed by your first choice (or that your first choice will remain your first choice).

Good luck and be safe.
    John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by John from Maryland
      My personal recommendation would be the SIG 229, but any of the weapons you list will likely prove satisfactory. I would have some reservations about the M&P as the weapon is comparatively new on the market (especially in 357SIG). That said, I hear good things about the M&P generally and it will probably prove to be an effective performer.

I would offer a couple of caveats. First, most firearms instructors do not prefer that recruits practice on their own prior to entering law enforcement. All too often, the recruits have picked up bad habits or use procedures different than taught at the academy. If you have an interest in shooting, go ahead and buy a gun, but do not feel a need to get a leg up prior to the academy.

Secondly, I would not base weapon selection strictly on what agency to which you want to belong. As you've already discovered, issue weapons may change. Moreover, while I wish you success is your endeavors, there is no guarantee that you'll be employed by your first choice (or that your first choice will remain your first choice).

Good luck and be safe.
      I agree stay away from S&W, nothing wrong with the Springfield xd's or if you are allowed to carry a 1911 get the Springfield loaded black stainless. I have switched from SIG 220 ST .45 to the XD .45 Tactical. Great gun(so far)
      Follow me!

Let your conscience be your guide!

Comment

There are those who'd insist on Glock, and while they are a commonly used law enforcement weapon, I don't like them myself. That is not to state you won't. Many swear by them.

If you choose a 1911; become proficient with it. They're not typically for beginners.

I've never handled a Sig. I've seen more failures on the range with a S&W than anything else.

Of the list you provided, I like the H&K or the XD.
        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by ofcp2
          XD .45 Tactical. Great gun(so far)
          just wondering what you are using for a holster?? i got one in 4in. but another deputy got a tactical and has been having a hard time finding a duty holster for it. thanks

Comment

If your looking for a duty weapon, another thing to consider is what other officers in your agency are using.

Example alot of officers in our county use Glock's in the .40cal style (Glock 22 or 23) so I have a Glock 22, not only do i like how it shoots, i have the satisfaction of knowing that my Mags will interchange with other LEO's

Just a thought

Comment

I started with a Glock 22 them to a Sig 220. Now my duty weapon is a Kimber 1911 model. It seemed like it got better everytime I got a new weapon. Not sure if I can top Kimber though.

Comment

Originally posted by eremetic
                Hello everyone I am a future LEO, however I am going to go ahead and buy a gun and practice alot before I head to the academy.
                This is generally a BAD idea. Unless you are skilled with a firearm to begin with, or you are able to get professional instruction you will more than likely develop and reinforce bad habits that will have to be broken when you go to the academy. If you train on a weapon system other than what you will be carrying, then your hands will do what they were trained to do regardless of if it's the right thing or not. That is why many of us carry backups or off-duty guns that mimic our Duty Weapon.

If you just HAVE to buy a gun and shoot, then I suggest getting a Glock 17/19. You can pickup a used one for cheap, and sell it for the same price you got it for if you need to get rid of it later. Another option would be a quality 1911. Again you can pickup a used one and sell it later if needed. There aren't many duty guns that function or feel anything like the 1911 so keep that in mind.

If you are like me, don't worry about it. Buy a cool gun and shoot it. My "serious" guns stay the same, but I am always looking to add something neat to my collection.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

If I were you, I'd spend the money you'd spend on a gun on a personal trainer for running, weights and all the other pleasant physical activity that a police academy will put you through, and just listen to the shooting instructor's directions, get trained the way he wants you to do things and make his (and your) life easier.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2959 users online. 142 members and 2817 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X