Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield Armory Rifles

Reason for Editing.
    Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010, 11:02 PM.
    Work smarter not harder!

There were some issues a few years back with a certain heat lot of their bolts, but that has been resolved. The best ones are the older rifles using SA's receiver and the rest surplus G.I. parts, unfortunately with the demand for M-14 rifles in the sandbox, the G. I parts are far and few between and the prices have increased. I looked at the Socom, it's on the heavy side and I wasn't impressed. LE price was around 1400, and if you start hanging stuff off it, lights, optics,etc it willl really be defeating the purpose of having a short, lightweight, manuverable weapon. On the other side of it, SA puts a lifetime warranty on all their rifles, so anything that fails will be repaired or replaced at no charge to you or any future owner of the rifle.

Comment

My Baby

This is my Baby. I have had this rifle for about 30 years now. It is a Springfield Armory M1A1 National Match Rifle that I shot for years in High Power Competition. I made it to High Master with it. I no longer shoot High Power matche's a bad car wreck in 1992 put me out of the game.

I don't know about the So-Com have not handled one yet. But I do know that my M1A1 will still shoot intp a 1/2" at 100 yard's if I do my part.
      Bill

Comment

Birch stock with selector cut filled, glass bedded, You've got one of the good ones there, Bill. If you go over to the "dark side" and start shooting the mouse gun, let me know. I'll give that M1A a good home.

Comment

One of the first "real" rifles I fired as a kid was a Springfield Armory M1A. I was only 11, but I loved the thing a lot more than the Colt AR15 my dad had. The impacts were a lot easier to see, especially at 100 yards and 150 yards away. My dad could hit out to 200 yards, probably farther, but the rifle range was only cut into the hill out to 200 yards.

If I could afford one, I'd throw down the money for a used M1A in good condition.
          N. A. Corbier
          Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
          Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

I have a few thousand rounds through my Custom M1A, built by a USMC Match armorer. A fine competition gun, but I prefer the ergonomics of my FAL - more of a fighting rifle.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Mike 842
              unfortunately with the demand for M-14 rifles in the sandbox, the G. I parts are far and few between and the prices have increased.
              Why so much demand for M14s over in Iraq. Are they better suited for the gritty environment? Or does it have more to do with the .223 vs. .308 debate?
              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
                Why so much demand for M14s over in Iraq. Are they better suited for the gritty environment? Or does it have more to do with the .223 vs. .308 debate?
                it's not just short distance cqb or jungle warfare. a lot of the shootouts consist of a whole lot of real estate between the shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
                  The military has developed a DMR ( designated marksman rifle) platform using the M-14. As you are probably aware, the 14 was replaced in 1967 with the matty mattel line and the supply of servicable rifles and parts are being used by the military. The 14 is able to function , and has in any enviornment, whether it be jungle or sand, or water and still be reliable. The 7.62x51mm round turns cover into concealment. As far as long range accurracy goes, almost all the high power shooters have gone to the 5.56 using the 69 gr. bullet single loaded due to length. The standard 5.56 is a 55 gr. or 62. gr bullet. The 7.62 starts out at 150 gr. and the match round is 168gr. Almost 3 times more bullet per shot. When it comes to gunfights, he who gets there first with the most , wins. Probably why most of the Recon and Spec ops guys are using .45's instead of the 9mm.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2249 users online. 90 members and 2159 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X