300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stress course ideas needed

I am looking for ideas on running a stress course at the range. It would be an outside range and only paper targets available. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them Thanks!

The biggest source of stress at the range that I know is competing against other shooters Make some sort of timed competition out of it and have people pair up and shoot it out.

Some other stuff that comes to mind... assembling/disassembling the weapon, looking up information in a book/on a map in between and having to remember it after the next part of the course, anything that distracts the shooter from the actual shooting.

Northerner

Comment

Have your shooters shoot whatever course of fire you want, cold. When done, ask them if they were in a fight for their life or for their partner's life, would they have struck their intended target.

Let them think.

Then, put them through some challenges, such as a brief workout, such as pushups and some sprints and then immediately run the same course. Reinforce the fight for your life.

Your course should stress seeking cover, making themselves a smaller target, etc. as well as accuracy.

Comment

Apache has put out some good advice for you, what we did, without going into too much detail on an open forum, is have night firing with patrol car lights and siren on behind the shooters and an instructor with blanks firing into the ground at the same time. The only illumination on the targets were the blue and reds.

Comment

Have each phase of the course timed. Use "dummy" rounds with the "live", make sure the mags are loaded by someone other than the shooter. For example, everyone loads their mags...then YOU direct them to pass to the left or right. They will have to clear the misfed round during their cycle of fire! Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that no alibi's will be given for brain farts.

ummm, you are a postal inspector and you want to add stress ? I AM JUST KIDDIN!!!!
          Last edited by deputy x 2; 04-11-2006, 06:54 PM.
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I make our guys start out in a car, seatbelt on. Once they exit and fire a few shots, they have to sprint about 50 yeards. This gets the ol blood flowing. Dumby rounds are great!! As someone else said, make them FIGHT. The root word to gunfight is not gun, it's FIGHT. Thats what they are in a fight for their life. Make them fight to live. Also make sure everyone runs it in full duty gear and uniform.

Comment

Our past few firearms qualifications have included a "combat course" that differs from year to year, but has included some of the following:

- starting in a patrol car and running though the course
              - shooting a shotgun with shells picked off the ground (loaded shells mixed with unloaded shells)
              - having an instructor yell while you are shooting
              - 2-3+ realistic targets that the instructrors change thorughout the day to include no-shoot targets (ie. taping a picture of a cell phone or flashlight over the gun on the target)
              - reactive targets
              - moving targets
              - shooting behind cover and through "windows" or "doors"
              - shoot to slide lock requiring a magazine change

Comment

Running is a good way to simulate sress. We had to do 400meters in less then 1min. 45sec. with full gear evening shoot red and blue strobes fireing at alternateing pop-up and moving target. Just to make it fun we threw in some firecrakers. It was the hardest training shoot of my life.

Comment

Have your people run an obstacle course with a HOLSTERED weapon & have paper targets along the way. Use Simunition & have pairs of shooters square off against each other, keeping each person in a 3'x3' box about 15ft from each other. If you have an indoor range, use a stobe light & EXTREMELY loud music as distractions during the shoot. Set-up targets at varying distances & have the shooters change position with each target they engage. The only rules with setting up "stress shoots" is safety.

Comment

This is not opsec material, the extreamists (and paintballers) are doing this already!

I used to call officers to the range from the street. No warning, no range gear (we gave them eye & ear protection), using the duty ammo in their guns.They were stopped 1/2 mile from the range, and were handed a piece of paper that said:

"You have just recieved a radio call of shots fired, officer needs help. Proceed Code 3 to the range, and shoot any threat targets at least 3 times." They had 15 seconds to read the sheet, before they were told to get to the range NOW!

When they got to the range, there was a unit with it's lights and siren on, blocking the road, and a dummy, in uniform, face down in the street splattered with "blood". All targets were to the left of the road (not dead ahead of the car), and were all color targets, some with guns, some without, some with guns and badges. The range loudspeakers were playing a tape of sirens, screams, etc. At the end of the tape, a voice yelled "Shoot him! Shoot the guy in the blue suit! Get him!!" Of course, the guy in the blue suit was unarmed.

BTW, the road was elevated, and too narrow to turn the car toward the targets. The nearest target, of a man in a suit with a gun AND a 5" badge, got shot 7 times. The "TV Reporter" with a large camera got shot 5 times (is there a message here?). The guy "in the blue suit" got hit by all but 3 people out of 25.
                    Two officers ignored all the targets (7 figures total), and went to render aid to the "down officer". Several ran their guns dry, and could not figure out that they needed to reload. All hits were centered around the guns.

With the proper planning, these can be very educational. In my case, I needed to convince my stupidvisor that just shooting the qual course was not enough. It worked, and the troops loved it!
                    Last edited by Sleuth; 04-14-2006, 02:02 PM.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

my stupidvisor

I like that expression

Comment

How would you say that in German? (I like to insult people in different languages - it can be hazerdous if they happen to understand me, but it's fun!)
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Hmm... Supervisor could probably be translated as Vorgesetzter but you can't really make fun of this word.

I could provide you with a hand-selected collection of the finest German insults, though

Comment

The only German one I remember is (pardon my misspelling) ScXXXXnvent - and yes, I can guess what that means. It has just the right combination of pronunciation to add emphasis.

I certainly hope I am not violating any rules of the board! In fact, I'm editing it to make sure. I like this place, and don't want to get banned.
                            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by capstun27
                              I am looking for ideas on running a stress course at the range. It would be an outside range and only paper targets available. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them Thanks!
                              Here is my suggestion:

1. Have shooters deprive themselves of sleep for 36 hours
                              2. Make them wear sunglasses from the dollar store, a funny hat and bulky gloves and clarino shoes
                              3. Turn on blue strobe lights
                              4. Make them hold a cup of hot, black coffee in their free hand
                              5. Spray them with cold water from a garden hose

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4258 users online. 233 members and 4025 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X