AK-47 as a Patrol Rifle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK-47 as a Patrol Rifle?

What do you guys think about using AK-47's as patrol rifles? Wanted to get some different opinons.

Marshal County, AL issues them.

Comment

They are reliable and accurate enough for most applications. However the rounds are over penatrative. Their not like 223 loads that will stay inside most buildings. The sights suck as does the safety. Personally I would not want one but its far better than having no rifle at all.
      Pat
      Firearms Instructor.
      Urban Rifle Instructor.
      Colt M16/AR15 Armorer.
      Glock Armorer.

Comment

Better than a military surplus M16, not as good as a Mini-14.

Comment

one of the better options, as far as patrol rifles go.

Comment

Your department may have a 'perception' problem. AR's are precieved as the guns of the good guys. AK's are seen as the rifles of terrorists. The public may have a negative reaction to seeing their officers with "terrorist weapons".
            From a handling standpoint, the safety is a major concern. JHP rounds (not the Russian ammo) may reduce the overpenitration risk.

Still better than no rifle at all.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

AK as a patrol rifle? Is your Dept. starved for money? AK's are the weapons of poor terrorists and 3rd world countries. M4's or 14's are a much better option.

But still it's better then a sharp stick....kinda

Comment

Well, it is about a million times better then a pistol.....

Look at what those perps did, with AKs, in the famous Cali. bank robbery.

At range, beats a pistol or shotgun hands down.

Comment

What they did was scare a bunch of people, and miss a lot of people, and wound a few. A fine demonstration of a uselessness of unaimed, full auto fire.

The best thing they did was advance the cause of patrol rifles nation wide.
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by ford123
                    Well, it is about a million times better then a pistol.....

Look at what those perps did, with AKs, in the famous Cali. bank robbery.

At range, beats a pistol or shotgun hands down.
                    Actually in close it beats a pistol and ties a shotgun. Its the best overall weapon system available to the patrol officer. (semi auto 223 carbine)
                    Pat
                    Firearms Instructor.
                    Urban Rifle Instructor.
                    Colt M16/AR15 Armorer.
                    Glock Armorer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                      What they did was scare a bunch of people, and miss a lot of people, and wound a few. A fine demonstration of a uselessness of unaimed, full auto fire.

The best thing they did was advance the cause of patrol rifles nation wide.
                      I thought the fact they were wearing armor did more for getting patrol rifles in vehicles than what the BGs were armed with.

It would of been a different story if they had actually been proficient marksman, but they probably wouldn't of been wild firing so much if they had the dedication to be that level of marksman.

I remember that they wounded a few LAPD, but did they actually hit anything they were shooting at?
                      N. A. Corbier
                      Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
                      Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Imagine how nasty North Hollywood would have been had Platt and Matix of "The Miami Massacre" been the guys with body armor and full auto weapons...

In fact, lets not even go that far...just imagine if they had, instead of head to toe protection, just balistic vests similar to what the FBI had but weren't using...

Platt kept fighting after being hit in the chest with a good, supposedly fatal round.

What would have happened if he didn't take that round in the chest and Matix, who I believe was killed early on, carried his end of the deal...

Think happy thoughts...

Comment

Matix & PLatt were both killed at the end of the event, but Matix only fired 1 round.

Another reminder that it's the men, not the tools, that matter.
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

While that is true, the tools are still a factor, just not the way most people tend to think. And you can take that in a million different directions.

Comment

Perhaps I'm a relic of the Cold War, but the thought of any police department in the United States using an AK-47 Kalashnikov really turns my stomach.
                              Disclaimer: The opinions I expressed here are mine and mine alone. They do not necessarily reflect the positions any other known person or organization.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8247 users online. 253 members and 7994 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X