300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911's in .40 S&W

Hey everybody. I'm looking into picking up a 1911 chambered in .40. Wondering if anyone has any experience and can lend a hand in helping with selection of one.
    Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
    I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
    Originally posted by weinerdog2000
    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Don't get a 1911. You are better off in to many ways to not carry a cocked handgun.

Comment

Holly cow!!! Better off than cocked and locked? Gee and how many agencies and people are switching from other types of triggers to a "cocked and locked" carry. Not a single 1911 type of weapon out there that dosent have at least three safetys (thumb, grip and trigger finger).

Now to answer the thread. Paraord makes several awsome 1911's in 40 cal. But for me personally, you simply can't beat a Browning High Power in 40 cal. The grip is the best I have EVER held.

Just my opinion.
      Steve
      Respect all ...... Fear none!!!

Comment

If you want cocked and locked, look at STI as well as Para Ordnance as mentioned above. Both offer high cap mags, I think the Para holds something like 15-16 rounds in the mag. If you don't want cocked and locked check out Para's Light Double Action. You still have a grip and thumb safety and the trigger is IMO one of the best double action triggers I have used.

But as far as Bigugly not recommending cocked and locked, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with and personal preferance. Hold and shoot as many guns as you can and make your decision from there.

Comment

Kimber makes a nice .40 1911...

And to those that don't like the 1911's, don't shoot them! Leaves more for me!

Comment

Maybe I don't see it, but why .40 in a 1911 frame?

Is it something to do with LE using the same ammo in different guns?

I mean...for G0D's sake, why screw up a perfectly good .45 ACP?

Comment

Originally posted by Shoot N Scoot
              But for me personally, you simply can't beat a Browning High Power in 40 cal. The grip is the best I have EVER held.
              I handled a Browning HP for the first time last year and, without even shooting it, I was sold. If I can afford it when the time comes, I want to make a HP my duty carry.

I've also been one that just can't get on the 'cocked and locked' bandwagon. I'm sure there's plenty of research out there showing how safe it is, but I am just plain uncomfortable carrying a pistol with the hammer back. That's why I'm excited about what I heard a few months ago. Apparently the HP is now available as a DA/SA.
              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
                Cuz I pretty much get all the free .40 I want. It cost me money to shoot my Para P13 or TLE, but I can shoot my CDP II, Glocks and CX4 all day long free.
                GREAT reason!!

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786
                  Hey everybody. I'm looking into picking up a 1911 chambered in .40. Wondering if anyone has any experience and can lend a hand in helping with selection of one.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info and frankly for the 1911 haters, the Armed Services obviously lost their mind when they went to the Baretta 9's.
                  Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                  I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                  Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                  as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

The best thing the military did was join the 20th Century and get a DA handgun. All of the Berettas I shot never jammed, a hell of a lot more than I can say for the M16.

Comment

cocked and locked, well i like 1911
                      and i like my glock and it is cocked ready for action so really why not a 1911

and the m16 was more of a mag problem then anything from what i have seen

Comment

Some people are scared of a gun with a hammer cocked. Usually it's just someone who is unenlightened as to just how good some 1911's are. It freaked me out the first time I saw one. At the time i was a rifle guy and never really understood the 1911. Its one of my favorite guns now. I have all the cool modern pistols I can stand right now. Time to drop some coin on another nice 1911.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Being leery of cocked and locked is simply ignorance. Many of us carry an AR/M16/M4 variant and it is carried in a cocked position. You just can't see the hammer in the cocked position. There is no better fighting pistol than a well built 1911, period.

I am a huge 1911 fan, and a huge fan of the .45ACP. As for the .40S&W in a 1911, I own one, and ironically it is probably my favorite shooter. I own an STI Tactical 5.0 in .40S&W. The reason being is that I have an endless supply of ammo to shoot through it. I have had this pistol since October and it already has over 9K rounds through it without an issue. I will say however that the .40S&W is the most problematic round offering in a 1911 to get it to feed right. There are numerous 1911 makers that produce anything from 9mm, 38 super, .40S&W and .45ACP on a regular basis. If ammo costs were not an issue however, my choice would still be a .45ACP. I am positive that my STI in a .45ACP would be an even nicer shooting pistol. Almost hard to imagine it getting any better, unless if I perhaps hand loaded and cut down on the powder charge in the .40.
                          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

STI, Para, Baer (expensive though) also if you dont mind doing it yourself you can get everything from Brownells and Build up a Caspian to your own specs.
                            For those afraid of 1911's.... there is NO reason not to carry cocked and Locked as long as one keeps their Booger Hook off of the trigger, there 's ZERO problems...gee just like WITH EVERY OTHER DAMN HANDGUN in existance.

Comment

Curious, is it the 1911 platform you are hunting or is it the cocked and locked capability only?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8543 users online. 403 members and 8140 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X