300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Weapons

I have another thread on a good handgun for the academy, but what types of guns do they allow in the academy?
    What is the highest caliber you have every carreid on duty (hand guns)?
    Do they allow revolvers in the academy?
    Would they allow a luger (new one, not ruger) in the academy?

Just some wierd questions I thought of when at the sporting goods store today.

Also, has anyone used a laser sight in the academy? I know departments test without them to qualify you, but as an extra add on is it still a problem?
    Last edited by Stop Resisting; 12-03-2005, 10:56 PM.
    "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

I can not imagine why anyone would want to carry a wheel gun anymore, except for maybe a little 44 for backup.

Our academy lets you take, shoot, the weapon aproved by your agency for carry on the street. Ours happen to be Glock 22 (.40). Our reserves and Jail Deputies can carry a variety as long as it meets requirements for exapmle; decock, double action etc. If we choose to carry something other than 9mm or 40 S&W then we also have to pay for aproved ammo, such as 357 SIG or .45 ACP. We are issued Glock 22 for the road.
    10-9 ??? AWW S%$#

Comment

Originally posted by Stop Resisting
      I have another thread on a good handgun for the academy, but what types of guns do they allow in the academy?
      What is the highest caliber you have every carreid on duty (hand guns)?
      Do they allow revolvers in the academy?
      Would they allow a luger (new one, not ruger) in the academy?

Just some wierd questions I thought of when at the sporting goods store today.

Also, has anyone used a laser sight in the academy? I know departments test without them to qualify you, but as an extra add on is it still a problem?
      maybe you should consider the military instead of a civilian police academy.

Comment

Dude, you're asking a lot of goofy questions! Are you sure you're serious about this job? Do some studying/research to answer questions on your own before you make a fool of yourself with these questions.

Talking about carrying a Desert Eagle? Talking about "highest calibers"? A Luger, there's not anyone making a new one currently and most surplus guns are a little too worn out for duty carry...? Laser sight?

I'll answer your questions, but I still think you're probably not cut out for this line of work...

My academy allowed any double action pistol. Every person in my class except one had a Glock.

9mm

No

No, its a single action

I didn't, we had a guy in my class who had one. It was NOT reliable. My agency also does NOT currently allow them on duty weapons.
        Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Since the Luger was designed prior to 1900, I believe there have been some advances in firearms since then. I own several, they are ammo sensative, dirt sensative, and not a good choice for personal protection.
          Plus, I have never seen any form or retention holster for one.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

I can't think of a single department that would allow you to carry a Luger. Most academies are training with 9mm or .40 semi-autos, with Glock and Beretta leading the pack. As far as laser sights. don't use one if you are just starting out as it will give you a false sense of security. The highest caliber I carried was a .357, and if I had to carry it today, I'd feel adequately armed. I like the semi-auto a lot more and have carried S&Ws, Glocks, and currently a Beretta model 96, .40, department issued.
            Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

I carried a Glock 21 .45 ACP in the academy and for the first two years I was a commissioned officer.
              I currently carry a Para Ord. P-14LDA .45 ACP which is issued by my department.
              I remember one person carrying a revolver in my academy, I believe it was a Ruger GP 100.
              The most common weapon in my academy was a Ruger P95 9mm due to its cost and the price of ammunition.

Comment

What is your opinion on the LDA vs Para Ord. SA 1911's?

Originally posted by deputytx1979
                I currently carry a Para Ord. P-14LDA .45 ACP which is issued by my department..
                "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I like the single action 1911 better personally.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                    I currently carry a Para Ord. P-14LDA .45 ACP which is issued by my department.
                    This is what I carry too! (Personal bought) After carrying this weapon I wouldn't want to carry anything else.

Originally posted by pkagel
                    What is your opinion on the LDA vs Para Ord. SA 1911's?
                    I love the LDA trigger. Very smooth. I was never a big fan of the SA 1911s, but don't mind them. Just would't want to carry them. I want to get the little Warthog with the LDA trigger too for off-duty. Maybe next month
                    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

Originally posted by Huey County
                      This is what I carry too! (Personal bought) After carrying this weapon I wouldn't want to carry anything else.

I love the LDA trigger. Very smooth. I was never a big fan of the SA 1911s, but don't mind them. Just would't want to carry them. I want to get the little Warthog with the LDA trigger too for off-duty. Maybe next month
                      I had an LDA, but got rid of it. The trigger was VERY smooth, but the reset was horrible, had to let the trigger out almost all the way for it to engage.
                      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4543 users online. 280 members and 4263 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X