Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miked6
    replied
    I totally agree. The S&W airweights are great, and if you need more than five shots you are probably in such a big mess that a handgun wouldn't help anyway.

Leave a comment:

• SMPPD87
    replied
    Originally posted by Kerz
    Kahr PM9 for size, weight, caliber, reliability, and striker fired (similar operation to my duty weapon). Carried in a pocket holster http://hedleyholsters.com/misc.html off duty and vest holster on duty. In my opinion the ultimate compact pistol. http://www.kahr.com/pistols_9mm.html

Vic
    i agree, this will be my next handggun purchase. right now i carry a glock 26 off duty, i'm thinking of picking up a S&W Ti revolver to alternate with the glock

Leave a comment:

• Bigugly
    replied
    SW 642 38spl. It goes every where with me.

Leave a comment:

• blueronin
    replied
    Hey Pawncop, which do you prefer the .45 or the 357 sig? I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just interested in your opinion.

Leave a comment:

• KenW.
    replied
    My duty weapon is a full-size 1911, so my backup / off-duty gun is a 3" 1911. Identical in operation.

Leave a comment:

• brake pedal
    replied
    i carry a S&W 6906 off duty. i like the light weight and the higher capacity firepower. i used to carry a 5906 on duty and off. it was too heavy realy for off duty.

Leave a comment:

• pawncop
    Guest replied
    Glock 21 (45 ACP) for duty. Glock 32 (357 Sig) for off duty. Do qualify with a 2 1/2" S&W 686 and a Beretta Tomcat as alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• t150vsuptpr
    replied
    Originally posted by Norm357
    My CCW piece is a Ruger SP101 that has been worked over by Gemini Custums.

I have a lot of guns, both auto and revolver, but I have found over the years that I simply shoot the round guns better. With my little Ruger, I have 5 rounds of .357 in a small package, that is actually comfortable to shoot, unlike those .357 J frame Smiths.
    I have had my SP101 since I first saw them, 2 1/4", 125 gr JHP .357 Mag X 5 is a lot in such a little package (mine is DAO with the bobbed hammer). On duty, I often carry it as a bug. I do carry a speedloader for it when I carry it OD, but just recently I got a nice Blackhawk CQC with serpa retention for my issue P229 DAO .357 and I expect I'll be carrying it more often than in the past OD. I have a P226 but it's DA/SA with the drastic change in trigger, so I don't plan to carry it too often until after I retire probably since we went to that "oh so sweet" DAO P229.

Leave a comment:

• Deputy_Dave
    replied
    I like the Rossi 44 spec for something I really need to conceal. Most of the time I carry my Sig 226. I am in the process of getting the smaller Sig due to the same function and action of my duty weapon. I don't want to have to take the time to figure out another gun if stuff goes south. I want the slide release and every thing is the same places so I don't have to think.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    My usual carry is a Custom LaFrance NOVA 9mm, smaller than a PPK. I may switch guns from time to time, but I never have had a problem with any of the autos I carry. I do, on occasion, carry a revolver on the ranch, mostly for the shot loads (I HATE SNAKES!).

Leave a comment:

• Norm357
    replied
    I am not a cop but I do carry a gun everyday and have put some thought into this topic. My CCW piece is a Ruger SP101 that has been worked over by Gemini Custums.

I have a lot of guns, both auto and revolver, but I have found over the years that I simply shoot the round guns better. With my little Ruger, I have 5 rounds of .357 in a small package, that is actually comfortable to shoot, unlike those .357 J frame Smiths.

Leave a comment:

• narc
    replied
    Originally posted by AKFireCop
    DUDE!!!!!! I DIDNT SAY YOU COULDNT!!! I SAID HE NEEDS TO PRACTICE IF HE DOES THAT!!!!

You dont buy into it "terrific!!!
    You have NEVER done any of those things in all the gunfights you have been in. Great!!!

You have obviously PRACTICED with these technics. In fact you admit to doing so for over 10 years. What I am saying is that the same weapons platform is a safe way to START!

Secondly a Shotgun and rifle are SEPERATE platforms. They each require PRACTICE!

Everyone in LE is NOT a gun fanatic like me and perhaps you! I teach officers every month who do the bare minimum the Dept. requires by way of training with guns. THEY should make it as easy on themselves as possible, if THEY are going to carry different types of "Handgun platforms".

You dont like my advice? Dont take it! But dont say it doesnt have merit because it doesnt work for you!

wow....relax.

Leave a comment:

• TPO
    replied
    Originally posted by AKFireCop
    Everyone in LE is NOT a gun fanatic like me and perhaps you! I teach officers every month who do the bare minimum the Dept. requires by way of training with guns. THEY should make it as easy on themselves as possible, if THEY are going to carry different types of "Handgun platforms".

You dont like my advice? Dont take it! But dont say it doesnt have merit because it doesnt work for you!

Taurus makes one I know of but the point I was trying to make is just that you need to prctice and be proficient if you use different types of handguns.
    exactly my point. functionality shouldn't make a difference when you take the time to learn. don't get too excited over my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• WC145
    replied
    We can carry whatever we want off-duty but have to qualify on the same course of fire as our duty weapons. I carry a USP Compact .357sig on duty and usually off duty. I also carry a S&W 642 .38spl. bug and a Kel-tec P3AT bug. Sometimes I will carry the 642 off duty when size matters. Off duty I carry one extra mag if I have the USP or 2 speed strips if I have the 642 and always one extra mag for the Kel-tec.

I think the only draw back to a snubby revolver is capacity. Mine nevers fails to go bang, hits where I point it and has never had any kind of a jam, stovepipe, failure to feed, etc., etc., etc., no matter how I grip it or what ammo I put in it. That is exactly the kind of performance I want and expect from a gun I carry for last ditch situations. Pull, point, pow - every time!

Leave a comment:

• AKFireCop
    replied
    Originally posted by pkagel
    Exactly which revolvers have safeties??????

Taurus makes one I know of but the point I was trying to make is just that you need to prctice and be proficient if you use different types of handguns.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4127 users online. 264 members and 3863 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X