Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Duty: Revolver or Semi-Auto Pistol?

For argument's sake, let's assume that there are no agency regulations saying what you may or may not carry off duty, and let's also assume your agency would give you a revolver if you asked for one.

Would you carry a revolver or a pistol? Why? Both weapons have advantages and disadvantages as far as I am concerned. Anyway, I am just curious to hear your opinion.

Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

How about both?

My off-duty gun changes with the circumstances.

I have been known to carry my S&W 340PD .357 Magnum when I need a very concealable gun. This gun weighs about 16 oz. when fully loaded and is small enough to fit into a pocket if necessary. Of course, it's not going to be much good in a sustained gunfight, as it only has 5 rounds.

When I'm wearing more close or don't need as much concelability, I'll carry my BUG -- a S&W 3913TSW in 9mm. It's a single-stack, so it's pretty slim, but it's much heavier than the snubbie.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Really depends on where I was going to be, what I was going to be doing, what I was wearing, ect. It could be anywhere from a full sized HK USP 45 to the formentioned S&W 340PD and anywhere inbetween. More often than not though, the S&W 340PD w/ an extra speed loader.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Caryy off duty the same platform as you carry on duty. If you switch back and forth between revolver and semi-auto you better be training your @ss off. I would hate to see the muscle memory you aquired through training with your auto come in to play when you are in a gun fight with a revolver. Just MHO

Comment

I can see your point but I guess I'm just one of those guys who loves to shoot so I tend not to think of the non-shooter carrying a gun.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Kahr PM9 for size, weight, caliber, reliability, and striker fired (similar operation to my duty weapon). Carried in a pocket holster http://hedleyholsters.com/misc.html off duty and vest holster on duty. In my opinion the ultimate compact pistol. http://www.kahr.com/pistols_9mm.html

Vic

Comment

i have, and will always, carry a small revolver off duty; in fact the same revovler. on-duty, it's the back up to my semi-autos.

Comment

Originally posted by AKFireCop
                Caryy off duty the same platform as you carry on duty. If you switch back and forth between revolver and semi-auto you better be training your @ss off. I would hate to see the muscle memory you aquired through training with your auto come in to play when you are in a gun fight with a revolver. Just MHO
                I agree with you to a certain extent -- it's why I carry the 3913 as my BUG. The 3913 works almost identically to my primary, a Beretta 92. But I look at the revolver as a simpler technology. You simply point it and pull the trigger. I don't feel the need for an extraordinary amount of cross-training.
                Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
                  I agree with you to a certain extent -- it's why I carry the 3913 as my BUG. The 3913 works almost identically to my primary, a Beretta 92. But I look at the revolver as a simpler technology. You simply point it and pull the trigger. I don't feel the need for an extraordinary amount of cross-training.
                  I agree with you as well.

The problem is not just what makes it go "Bang" but are you accurate with your 5 rounds?You better be cause thats all you have, unless you carry a speedloader. The speedloader presents another set of fine motor skills you better practice if your going to use it "effectively". Another consideration is the "Type" of semi auto you carry ON DUTY. If you carry, lets say, a Glock that has no special safeties in order to fire it but your revolver has a safety. Which are you going to remember when its a life and death situation. I am not saying you "Cant" carry a revolver, I was just warning this individual that if they choose a revolver they had better really train with it. Just MHO

Comment

I agree with you as well.

The problem is not just what makes it go "Bang" but are you accurate with your 5 rounds?You better be cause thats all you have, unless you carry a speedloader. The speedloader presents another set of fine motor skills you better practice if your going to use it "effectively". Another consideration is the "Type" of semi auto you carry ON DUTY. If you carry, lets say, a Glock that has no special safeties in order to fire it but your revolver has a safety. Which are you going to remember when its a life and death situation. I am not saying you "Cant" carry a revolver, I was just warning this individual that if they choose a revolver they had better really train with it. Just MHO
                    i don't buy into any of that. if that's the case, then i guess i better get my 1911 shotgun to go with my 1911 ar15, so they'll be familiar since i carry a 1911 duty gun.

i have carried semi-auto duty guns and a revolver back up for at least a decade. i've never had issues with reverting from one to the other. i carry speed loaders on-duty for backup and speed strips off duty. i've never tried to insert a magazine into my revolver and i've never tried to swing out the cylinder on my semi-autos. i've never tried to flip a thumb safety on my revolver either. i know what gun i'm grabbing for. if i carried a bunch of guns in a bucket around with me and did the potluck draw, then i can see where familiarity might be an issue.

Comment

Exactly which revolvers have safeties??????

Comment

Originally posted by TPO
                        i don't buy into any of that. if that's the case, then i guess i better get my 1911 shotgun to go with my 1911 ar15, so they'll be familiar since i carry a 1911 duty gun.

i have carried semi-auto duty guns and a revolver back up for at least a decade. i've never had issues with reverting from one to the other. i carry speed loaders on-duty for backup and speed strips off duty. i've never tried to insert a magazine into my revolver and i've never tried to swing out the cylinder on my semi-autos. i've never tried to flip a thumb safety on my revolver either. i know what gun i'm grabbing for. if i carried a bunch of guns in a bucket around with me and did the potluck draw, then i can see where familiarity might be an issue.

DUDE!!!!!! I DIDNT SAY YOU COULDNT!!! I SAID HE NEEDS TO PRACTICE IF HE DOES THAT!!!!

You dont buy into it "terrific!!!
                        You have NEVER done any of those things in all the gunfights you have been in. Great!!!

You have obviously PRACTICED with these technics. In fact you admit to doing so for over 10 years. What I am saying is that the same weapons platform is a safe way to START!

Secondly a Shotgun and rifle are SEPERATE platforms. They each require PRACTICE!

Everyone in LE is NOT a gun fanatic like me and perhaps you! I teach officers every month who do the bare minimum the Dept. requires by way of training with guns. THEY should make it as easy on themselves as possible, if THEY are going to carry different types of "Handgun platforms".

You dont like my advice? Dont take it! But dont say it doesnt have merit because it doesnt work for you!

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                          Exactly which revolvers have safeties??????

Taurus makes one I know of but the point I was trying to make is just that you need to prctice and be proficient if you use different types of handguns.

Comment

We can carry whatever we want off-duty but have to qualify on the same course of fire as our duty weapons. I carry a USP Compact .357sig on duty and usually off duty. I also carry a S&W 642 .38spl. bug and a Kel-tec P3AT bug. Sometimes I will carry the 642 off duty when size matters. Off duty I carry one extra mag if I have the USP or 2 speed strips if I have the 642 and always one extra mag for the Kel-tec.

I think the only draw back to a snubby revolver is capacity. Mine nevers fails to go bang, hits where I point it and has never had any kind of a jam, stovepipe, failure to feed, etc., etc., etc., no matter how I grip it or what ammo I put in it. That is exactly the kind of performance I want and expect from a gun I carry for last ditch situations. Pull, point, pow - every time!

Comment

Everyone in LE is NOT a gun fanatic like me and perhaps you! I teach officers every month who do the bare minimum the Dept. requires by way of training with guns. THEY should make it as easy on themselves as possible, if THEY are going to carry different types of "Handgun platforms".

You dont like my advice? Dont take it! But dont say it doesnt have merit because it doesnt work for you!

Taurus makes one I know of but the point I was trying to make is just that you need to prctice and be proficient if you use different types of handguns.
                              exactly my point. functionality shouldn't make a difference when you take the time to learn. don't get too excited over my opinion.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2737 users online. 190 members and 2547 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X