300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on shot placement needed.

I'm a left handed shooter, Sig P226 .40.

Just got back from the range a few minutes ago and while all my shots were in the vacinity of where I wanted them to go, they all seemed to drift to the right a bit.

All the head shots are on the right side of the head (as we are looking at it) and all the body shots are on the right side of the body.

I can email a photo if anyone requests it.

Someone told me that my right hand was pulling my left hand over, but I was doing my best to insure that my right hand was only there to stabilize my left arm.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Contact, I don't know if you are on my website or not but sign on and go to the files and download the file called "shooting wheel" It is for right handers but just mirror the immage for lefties. It is a graphic representation of what you are doing to cause you to shoot off target.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

If all your following everthing you learned to a tee then maybe the gun is off sight have your fired any other firearm
      John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

Originally posted by locke1419
        If all your following everthing you learned to a tee then maybe the gun is off sight have your fired any other firearm
        I beleive the problem is in my shooting.

I was firing a Kahr E9 and having the same issue.
        A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

I think the problem may be as simple as putting your trigger finger in too far. Try using just the pad of you finger, about 1/2 way to the first joint.
          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
            Contact, I don't know if you are on my website or not but sign on and go to the files and download the file called "shooting wheel" It is for right handers but just mirror the immage for lefties. It is a graphic representation of what you are doing to cause you to shoot off target.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
            I joined the group, very informative!

As Keith suggested, it seems to be a problem with my grip and/or my anticipation of recoil. I'll keep an eye out for this next range day!

-GK Chesterton

Comment

For anticipation of recoil have someone else load your gun and put a few random dummy rounds in the magazine. When you get to the dummy and you flinch to the right you'll know that is your main problem. Try shooting 22's for a while to work on your trigger control. Recoil is mostly a state of mind. I've seen people flinch more w/ a 9mm than they do w/ a 357mag.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                For anticipation of recoil have someone else load your gun and put a few random dummy rounds in the magazine. When you get to the dummy and you flinch to the right you'll know that is your main problem. Try shooting 22's for a while to work on your trigger control. Recoil is mostly a state of mind. I've seen people flinch more w/ a 9mm than they do w/ a 357mag.
                I've corrected one problem that way, they put a snap cap a few rounds down. The problem then was I was shooting low and I was overcompensating for the recoil before the round left the gun.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Good, keep doing that though as it is an easy one to slip back into. Your problem appears to be your trigger control. Are you practicing trigger reset in your academy. You want to pull the trigger far enough back that it resets the sear but not so far back that it bottoms out on the frame. Practice dry firing with somebody else working the slide for you. ****at home, not at the range unless the RM says you can do it***** Work on your trigger and it will go a long way towards getting your hits in the X ring.

Originally posted by Contact
                  I've corrected one problem that way, they put a snap cap a few rounds down. The problem then was I was shooting low and I was overcompensating for the recoil before the round left the gun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5820 users online. 327 members and 5493 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X