300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approved Firearms for PD in Florida

I was at a gun store the other day in Tampa, FL, and I was shooting the breeze with the manager. I told him I'm interested in all my options for a firearm when I get hired onto TPD or HCSO. He said all they allow are Glocks and Sigs. He also said that Tampa Police Department only allows 9mm, but HCSO recently started allowing .45 calibers. Does this sound right? I'm a huge fan of the .40 caliber, and although I would hate to get hit with a 9mm, it just feels like a bb gun compared to some of the other calibers.

I'm no gun expert, but I do go to the range once every couple of weeks. I'm just surprised to hear about the limitations. Can this be right? I'm going to the academy in Nov., but I don't want to call up now and ask. I'm worried they would think I'm a little to anxious to start firing off rounds.

Thanks for the info.

So go on a ride along and ask the officer your riding w/.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Best bet is to ask a local officer/deputy. Each and every agency has their own standards as far as makes/models/calibers allowed.
      sigpic

Comment

TPD issues 9mm Glocks and I'm not sure if they allow officers to purchase and carry anything other than that. At HCSO deputies purchase their own handguns and they allow most all major makes and models in 9mm, .357SIG, .40, and .45

Regards,

Phoenix
        Phoenix

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3155 users online. 202 members and 2953 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X