Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Possession of firearm risk hiring for PD???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Possession of firearm risk hiring for PD???

I will be turning 20 next month and will begin the Police Academy in May 2006. I am not sure if having possession of a handgun will put me at risk to be hired on by a PD next year. I would like one so I can begin to practice.
    "Those who are undisciplined are held back. Those who are disciplined are allowed to go forward."

Check with the Utah Attorney General

Comment

While I applaud your enthusiasm, most firearms instructors discourage potential recruits from practicing on their own. Individual practice often results in the trainee developing techniques that contradict what will be taught in the academy. Good luck and be safe.
      John from Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the input
        "Those who are undisciplined are held back. Those who are disciplined are allowed to go forward."

Comment

I was emailed the following from another user

Minimum Age for Guns under Utah and Federal laws:
          (Click on the Utah Code section for text of the law)
          Illegal to sell a handgun to anyone under 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1); 27 CFR178.99(b))
          Illegal to provide a handgun to anyone under 18 (Utah Code 76-10-509.5)
          (Note- sales governed by federal law above have 21 year minimum age.)
          Under 18 cannot possess a handgun or other dangerous weapon (Utah Code 76-10-509; 76-10-509.4)
          Illegal to sell a rifle or shotgun to anyone under 18 (18 USC 922(b)(1), 27 CFR178.99(b))
          Illegal for a legal purchaser to buy a firearm with intent to provide it to anyone ineligible to purchase a firearm from a dealer (Utah Code 76-10-527)
          No one under 18 can possess firearms (other than handgun) without permission from parent or guardian (Utah Code 76-10-509)
          A parent is required to take guns away from juvenile children (Utah Code 76-10-509.7)
          Certain exceptions for hunting, target range, under parental/adult supervision (Utah Code 76-10-512)

Comment

I was thinking about the same thing, but I am in WI. I am just borrowing one from my uncle for the time being. I would like to find an instructure before I actually go and shoot.
            When a crime breaks out, all the cute girls shout
            get the, good looking guy

Comment

Dons,

Find out all about the gun laws. You may be ok in your state. This is really all im worried about.

Illegal for a legal purchaser to buy a firearm with ****intent*** to provide it to anyone ineligible to purchase a firearm from a dealer (Utah Code 76-10-527)

Key word intent. Meaning, if at the time of purchase the buyer was not intending to provide me with the gun, it will be ok if I have it. So really the easiest way would be to borrow a gun from my uncle that works for his local PD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6032 users online. 340 members and 5692 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X