300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock 27, 30 or 36?

Ok so I'm about to qualify to carry my backup on duty on the 4th, the question now is which one do I buy. My duty is a glock 21.

Glock 27 -
    Pros: .40 is a good round, 1.19 inches wide, holds 12 rounds(?).
    Cons: Not .45, would have to carry a 2nd mag

Glock 30 -
    Pros: is a .45, holds 10, can take the same clip as my duty weapon.
    Cons:is the widest of the mini glocks..same width as my 21, harder to carry concealed on/off duty.

Glock 36 -
    Pros: is a .45, is 1.13 inches wide.
    Cons: 6 +1 rounds, would have to carry a 2nd mag.

So what are your thoughts and opinions? I'm leaning towards the 36 because of the off duty carry. I hesitate on the 27 because I don't like the idea of having mags of .40 and .45.

Speak your mind
    Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Originally posted by Caspertoo
    Ok so I'm about to qualify to carry my backup on duty on the 4th, the question now is which one do I buy. My duty is a glock 21.

Glock 27 -
    Pros: .40 is a good round, 1.19 inches wide, holds 12 rounds(?).
    Cons: Not .45, would have to carry a 2nd mag

Glock 30 -
    Pros: is a .45, holds 10, can take the same clip as my duty weapon.
    Cons:is the widest of the mini glocks..same width as my 21, harder to carry concealed on/off duty.

Glock 36 -
    Pros: is a .45, is 1.13 inches wide.
    Cons: 6 +1 rounds, would have to carry a 2nd mag.

So what are your thoughts and opinions? I'm leaning towards the 36 because of the off duty carry. I hesitate on the 27 because I don't like the idea of having mags of .40 and .45.

Speak your mind
    Hey Casper. I also carry a 21 for duty. I prefer the 30 b/c of .45 and mag. I really don't think you will have a problem with concealing it. A majority of our guys use it for off duty and I have not heard any complaints. Unless you wear tight clothes I think you will be fine!
    Personally as a female it's a little bit harder to conceal because of clothing differences but I very rarely carry off duty. I was more comfortable handling the 30.
    I would definately stick with the 30 or 36 over the 27 for the ammo factor alone. Just my personal preference though!
    Good luck and dont hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions!
    Stay safe!

Comment

Yea I can rule out the 27 for sure. Thanks for the comment, anyone else?

Comment

No problem.
        Also--if you have the opportunity to shoot the 30 and 36...it might just make your decision easier. You have to be comfortable with it so I would definately recommend shooting both and see how they feel. You might like one much better than the other.

Comment

That's a very good idea, thanks.

Comment

Go with the 30.

Comment

The glock 30 is not hard to conseal. I wear one all day everyday in an office and after work. (not in LE)

The only time I don't carry it is when I have to go into the courthouse or federal building.

It rides in a galco IWB tuckable holster at 3 O'Clock and have never had issues consealing it in the office or after work.

Comment

I'm a bit biased because of my small hands but given the guns you've listed I'd go with the 36. It is your bug, not your primary. The only time it is going to be used is when you can't get to your primary and not for an extended North Hollywood shootout. The lighter weight will be a factor as will controlability. The 30 feels like your holding a ball and I find it very hard to get a proper grip. You could also go w/ 2 Scandium S&W 5 shot 38's and still have less weight on you than the Glock along with being more versatile in placement.
                "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Had 2 of the 3 (G27 and G30). G36 was a single-stack, so that rules it out between the G30 and G36.

Needless to say, I carry the G27 off-duty. I sold the G30.

That .40S&W is my 'lil buddy' - I go nowhere without it. It's the perfect BU and/or concealed carry pistol.

Comment

I think I'm going to go shoot both the 30 and 36 at my local gun range on monday and decide then what to get. I have a SW 640 in 38+, and to be honest I'm not sure I could qualify with it, we have to shoot 10 of our 50 round qualification course at the 25 yrd line.

Comment

Now that is a little silly. They really need to have you shoot this gun no more than 5 yards. They need a completely different course for the BUG that more realistically imitates situations where it will be used. If I were King.........

Originally posted by Caspertoo
                      we have to shoot 10 of our 50 round qualification course at the 25 yrd line.
                      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Trust me, everyone knows it's stupid but it cuts down on training hours i guess?

I might just see if I can shoot 80% with my S&W640 and if I can I'll stick with that, real world I would never use a BUG at that distance.

Comment

I've got a few co-workers running G36's as off duty guns. Nearly all of them have had a host of problems with them. Having said that, quite a few also had problems with their 21's. I'd say go with the 30.

I carry a 26 with a 17round mag as my reload (or sometimes two). I also carry it as my BUG when in uniform. I carry every time I leave my house, the 30 is only marginally wider than a 26, and I have zero problems concealing due to width.
                          Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Glock 27 has my vote

Comment

If you don't mind, what problems are they having?

Originally posted by jeeper
                              I've got a few co-workers running G36's as off duty guns. Nearly all of them have had a host of problems with them. .

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2770 users online. 121 members and 2649 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X