Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleuth
    replied
    Saber Arms make a mirror image AR15 - ejects to the left, controls reversed.

Leave a comment:

• Kailat
    replied
    Get yourselves together

Okay heres my take on this situation as its been stated already and i agree with that particular post.

If your a sufficient shooter and an active shooter, and let me tell you if your in the LEO field you'd best be going to the shootin range as much as possible. And that means more the the required dept annual firearms training.

I am ex military and i am a south-paw shooter as well. Growing up on a farm and in the country i have always had firepower growng up be it from a bb gun to high powered rifles, and several shotguns.

I currently own two handguns each are easy for me to shoot. One is the Ruger P90 .45 acp and the other is my duty firearm Glock 21.

Both to me shoot damn near the same. In many ways the guns are simular but way different. I aim a bit different but to be honest im more accurate w/ my Ruger. I can't explain it, but if I were to rely on one over the other it would be the Glock for its dependibility and durability and the Ruger for accuracy.

But being left handed hasn't made a difference as far as im concerned in the handgun field. Ive shot many diff handguns and never had any prob's w/ being left.

Now the prob being left handed comes in the way of RIFLES. ie. AR15 , M16a1, HK MP5, etc.. due to the right side brass ejectors. thats where us leftys end up eating hot brass...and boy do i have the scars to prove it, where the hot brass has hopped right into my shirt colar and got stuck and melted into my skin... OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• merlin436
    replied
    Originally posted by Bighead
    ... although I prefer the strong-eye, weak-shoulder position.
    I'll second that. It sure works best for me.

Though a left-eye strong person might want to consider that by far most long guns are configured for right-handed shooters. If they can't get ahold of a left-handed model to shhot, it might well be best for them to shoot with their weak eye and avoid the shell ejections across their vision field and the awkward fumbling for releases and safeties with their left hand.

Leave a comment:

• Bighead
    replied
    If you want to use your thumb for the magazine release, I would seriously consider the Hecklar & Koch USP. Its magazine release is ambidextrous, and its slid stop and safety can be set up for left handed use.

For the right-handed, left eye dominant shooter, you shouldn't have any great trouble with pistols. Where you may face challenges is with long guns. You will either have shut your dominant eye completely to shoot with strong hand, or learn to shoot off your weak shoulder. Both ways can be successful, although I prefer the strong-eye, weak-shoulder position.

Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• jason6f
    replied
    Lefty with a Sig

Hey guys,
    I'm a LEO with a Sig Pro 2340 I love my .40 cal and it took our armor about 30 seconds to switch the mag release for me. I enjoy the sig so much I went ahead and bought a P229 SAS if you haven't seen this sidearm yet you have to try one. I've shot a Glock 17 in my accadimy it was the first time I've shot a side arm then got hired and met the Sig. I recently went to the sigarms website and found what I had to have. I'm a big fan of wheel guns but this new sig shoots like it looks. With the custom grips on it and the smooth curves this is a dream. If you can afford it. Mind you this is a Limited edition weapon. I love this DAK trigger system, the safty is great. I've been told by our armor that any sig can be set for us in our right minds. Just takes a few seconds with someone that knows what they are doing. stay safe everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Pedro56
    replied
    For those of you lefty's with Sig's the magazine release is bi- it goes both ways. It is easy to change.

Leave a comment:

• merlin436
    replied
    Originally posted by StephWhit
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question..
    But, I am right handed, but my dominant eye is my left...NOt in LE currently, but may be shortly...Is this going to be a problem?

I doubt it'll be much of an issue as far as sidearms go, but I think it might well be an issue if and when you need to qual. for a long gun. I'm right eye/ left hand dominant and I know it sure affects my rifle/shotgun performance.

OT, I'll bet you're a pretty good baseball/softball hitter though.

Leave a comment:

• merlin436
    replied
    Originally posted by hemicop
    I'd say the Glock pistols. No safetys to flip on or off & other than that anything you want to do/ with a sidearm the Glock will do just as easily. I'm left -handed & when I was issued the Glock my shooting score went up 12pts (on avg)

I love the way my Glock shoots, but triggering the mag. release with my left hand is nothing short of a serious pain for me. I usually need to transfer it over to my weak hand to get it done quickly.

Leave a comment:

• MrAiric7
    replied
    Stag Arms is now making a AR-15 for Left handed shooters.

Leave a comment:

• WCSO106
    replied
    1911 would be a good choice.. you can get an ambidextrous safety installed. Mine does not have the ambidextrous safety, but I am still able to cross-draw and manipulate the 1911 fairly efficiently with my left hand.

Leave a comment:

• StephWhit
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Wmartin
    If you are good man you can shoot with any gun on any side...Step up ya game brother...

I'm new at this shootin' business....but I will keep that in mind..(if this was meant for me: I'm a SISTER, not a brother)

Leave a comment:

• Wmartin
    replied
    If you are good...

If you are good man you can shoot with any gun on any side...Step up ya game brother...

Leave a comment:

• pkagel
    replied
    It will be more of a problem for the instructor than for you. Once you learn to work around it it won't really matter. Besides, you need to keep both eyes open because criminals don't care what dominate eye you have.

Leave a comment:

• StephWhit
    Guest replied
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question..
    But, I am right handed, but my dominant eye is my left...NOt in LE currently, but may be shortly...Is this going to be a problem?

Leave a comment:

• INCOP
    replied
    I am left handed and carry a Glock for a duty weapon. The weapon is great to shoot and I do not have any issues once it is out of the holster. However, I have experienced the magazine dropping out while practicing drawing my weapon from the holster. Because where the mag release is on the grip on the left side, my hand wraps over the release button when I am drawing the weapon. Just something to think about before you buy a weapon.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3099 users online. 204 members and 2895 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X