Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would stay away from those places on the simple basis of them being idiots. If they carry HK then they carry guns w/ the mag release on both sides and therefore they do carry guns w/ the mag release on the right side. FWIW, I drop my mags w/ my trigger finger when using the HK because that is just a habit I've gotten into. They gave me a lot of junk about doing so until they saw that I was outshooting everyone and then they just left me alone.

Originally posted by irishnut
    I have been to a couple places and they said they did not carrie any weapons with a mag release on the right side. !
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

H&K SK2000 it is completely ambidextrous slide lock and mag release as well as the decocker.
      Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

I am left handed and carry a Glock for a duty weapon. The weapon is great to shoot and I do not have any issues once it is out of the holster. However, I have experienced the magazine dropping out while practicing drawing my weapon from the holster. Because where the mag release is on the grip on the left side, my hand wraps over the release button when I am drawing the weapon. Just something to think about before you buy a weapon.

Comment

Forgive me if this is a stupid question..
          But, I am right handed, but my dominant eye is my left...NOt in LE currently, but may be shortly...Is this going to be a problem?

Comment

It will be more of a problem for the instructor than for you. Once you learn to work around it it won't really matter. Besides, you need to keep both eyes open because criminals don't care what dominate eye you have.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

If you are good...

If you are good man you can shoot with any gun on any side...Step up ya game brother...
              NCSHP
              APPLICATION SUBMITTED: June 2008
              PHYSICAL AGILITY AND WRITTEN:
              POLYGRAPH:
              BACKROUND:
              REVIEW BOARD:
              PHYSICAL:
              PSYCHOLOGICAL:
              ACCEPTANCE LETTER:
              ACADEMY DATE: NOV 12 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Wmartin
                If you are good man you can shoot with any gun on any side...Step up ya game brother...

I'm new at this shootin' business....but I will keep that in mind..(if this was meant for me: I'm a SISTER, not a brother)

Comment

1911 would be a good choice.. you can get an ambidextrous safety installed. Mine does not have the ambidextrous safety, but I am still able to cross-draw and manipulate the 1911 fairly efficiently with my left hand.

Comment

Stag Arms is now making a AR-15 for Left handed shooters.
                    MrAiric7

"Keep Your Priorities in Order"

"Know When to Act Without Hesitation"

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop
                      I'd say the Glock pistols. No safetys to flip on or off & other than that anything you want to do/ with a sidearm the Glock will do just as easily. I'm left -handed & when I was issued the Glock my shooting score went up 12pts (on avg)

I love the way my Glock shoots, but triggering the mag. release with my left hand is nothing short of a serious pain for me. I usually need to transfer it over to my weak hand to get it done quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by StephWhit
                        Forgive me if this is a stupid question..
                        But, I am right handed, but my dominant eye is my left...NOt in LE currently, but may be shortly...Is this going to be a problem?

I doubt it'll be much of an issue as far as sidearms go, but I think it might well be an issue if and when you need to qual. for a long gun. I'm right eye/ left hand dominant and I know it sure affects my rifle/shotgun performance.

OT, I'll bet you're a pretty good baseball/softball hitter though.

Comment

For those of you lefty's with Sig's the magazine release is bi- it goes both ways. It is easy to change.
                          "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

Lefty with a Sig

Hey guys,
                            I'm a LEO with a Sig Pro 2340 I love my .40 cal and it took our armor about 30 seconds to switch the mag release for me. I enjoy the sig so much I went ahead and bought a P229 SAS if you haven't seen this sidearm yet you have to try one. I've shot a Glock 17 in my accadimy it was the first time I've shot a side arm then got hired and met the Sig. I recently went to the sigarms website and found what I had to have. I'm a big fan of wheel guns but this new sig shoots like it looks. With the custom grips on it and the smooth curves this is a dream. If you can afford it. Mind you this is a Limited edition weapon. I love this DAK trigger system, the safty is great. I've been told by our armor that any sig can be set for us in our right minds. Just takes a few seconds with someone that knows what they are doing. stay safe everyone!
                            God must love stupid people, or as I like to refer to them job security.. She makes so damn many of them.

Comment

If you want to use your thumb for the magazine release, I would seriously consider the Hecklar & Koch USP. Its magazine release is ambidextrous, and its slid stop and safety can be set up for left handed use.

For the right-handed, left eye dominant shooter, you shouldn't have any great trouble with pistols. Where you may face challenges is with long guns. You will either have shut your dominant eye completely to shoot with strong hand, or learn to shoot off your weak shoulder. Both ways can be successful, although I prefer the strong-eye, weak-shoulder position.

Good Luck.
                              "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Originally posted by Bighead
                                ... although I prefer the strong-eye, weak-shoulder position.
                                I'll second that. It sure works best for me.

Though a left-eye strong person might want to consider that by far most long guns are configured for right-handed shooters. If they can't get ahold of a left-handed model to shhot, it might well be best for them to shoot with their weak eye and avoid the shell ejections across their vision field and the awkward fumbling for releases and safeties with their left hand.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2449 users online. 148 members and 2301 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X