300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help choosing a gun?

I am getting ready to start firmarms training in the academy, which means im going to be buying a gun here in the next week. Ive been shooting an H&k 40 and 45. My question is i dont have a limit on spending and i want the best gun out there but also that has accesories for it also you can buy, im shot good with the 40 and 45 so which of each of these is the best gun out on the market right now?

If you know you want an HK then you are one step ahead. I'm assuming you are being sponsored through the academy, and that your department allows either caliber. I would see what caliber your department will supply for practice ammo. If your expense will be the same either way, then it's a question only you can decide. I would suggest doing some sort of timed, or obstacle weapons course to help you determine what you shoot better. It might sound cool that you carry a .45, but if you can't put rounds in the 10 ring during training. What will your accuracy be during high stress.

And before I get replies, I know the 45 is a good caliber, and many people can shoot it better than others shooting a 9mm. So spare me the criticism.

Comment

First of all any police officer in an acdemy does not have much choice. Self sponsered "students" I guess can do pretty much what they want. Not many departments carry the HK because of price and lack of good holsters for thet brand.

Buy a good Smith and Wesson 9 or 40 and save MONEY.

Comment

Buy a good Smith and Wesson 9 or 40 and save MONEY.[/QUOTE] They make a good one?

Comment

If you are shooting good with the H&K stick with it. I prefer the 45 to the 40, but that is just me. I carry a Sig P220 and wouldn't have anything else for a duty weapon, unless of course someone wanted to donate an H&K to me and then I would consider changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
            First of all any police officer in an acdemy does not have much choice. Self sponsered "students" I guess can do pretty much what they want. Not many departments carry the HK because of price and lack of good holsters for thet brand.

Buy a good Smith and Wesson 9 or 40 and save MONEY.
            Hey bodie, since when did Smith & Wesson make a good automatic? I know that their wheel guns are good, but that is old technology. I would stick to Sig Sauer or H&K if I had the choice.

Bodie just kidding...
            "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

No offense to Bodie, but all the major manufactures of police equipment make holsters for the HK but they are usually special ordered from them vs being on the shelf at the cop shops like they are for S&W & Glock. If you shoot well with the HK then stick with it. Now, your only decisons are which caliber and what variant. I prefer 45, but that is me, the 40 is a fine caliber in the HK. As far as variants go, you have right and left handed versions. You can get it DA/SA with a decocker and safety, DA/SA w/ no safety, SA w/ no deckocker and DAO w/o a decocker or a safety and the same in left handed versions. I like the variant 3 right handed w/ the decocker and no safety and plan on getting mine switched over to that when money permits.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

can you get away with an HK .45 Tactical? that would be dreamy....

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy101
                  I am getting ready to start firearms training in the academy, which means I'm going to be buying a gun here in the next week. Ive been shooting an H&k 40 and 45. My question is i don't have a limit on spending and i want the best gun out there but also that has accessories for it also you can buy, I'm shot good with the 40 and 45 so which of each of these is the best gun out on the market right now?
                  I'm from the school that says you should carry what you are most proficient, what works best for you. That said, I"m stuck with a Glock G22. If you've been shooting well with the HK then I'll go for it. HK surely makes quality stuff.
                  Remember, an important key to success is shoot placement.
                  Good luck...
                  Vic

Comment

Ditto that, the major manufactures all make quality reliable products. You need to ask yourself what you feel most comfortable with that they allow you to carry. If that is a Glock then so be it, some people are very good with them. I am personally good w/ an HK but I think that is due to years of 1911 practice in the Navy. Go to a gun store, wrap your hands around all the major brands and get a feel for them. Pick a spot on the wall and close your eyes and then draw the weapon as if you were going to shoot that spot. Is the gun lined up on the spot. If it isn't, then the gun doesn't point naturally for you and you will either have to spend hours teaching your muscles what to do or you'll move on to another weapon. If you can borrow some guns to shoot then I highly recommend it. If the snappiness of a gun is too much for you or if the slow slide causes you problems then you can save yourself a bunch of cash by not buying those guns.

Put it this way, you wouldn't buy a car before test driving it, don't buy a pistol w/o doing the same if you are going to carry it as a primary defensive weapon.

Originally posted by Kerz
                    I'm from the school that says you should carry what you are most proficient, what works best for you. That said, I"m stuck with a Glock G22. If you've been shooting well with the HK then I'll go for it. HK surely makes quality stuff.
                    Remember, an important key to success is shoot placement.
                    Good luck...
                    Vic
                    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5971 users online. 355 members and 5616 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X