Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good BUG vest holster

New user name , post not made by current user
    Last edited by RamZ ; 05-10-2013, 11:52 PM.

I have a BUG Pocket that sews to the front of my carrier. Opens from the top, easy to reach with both hands. I orginally got mine about 10 years ago from the guy who invented it, at a trade show. Dont know if there is a web site for it or not.
    Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

I believe Calibre Press had been selling those BUG Pocket holsters for a while, however I don't see it on their website or in the most recent catalog I have from them. I use a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB holster with belt clip and clip that to the vest strap and have sewn velcro to the other side of the holster so it stays put better.

I'd like to get one of the BUG pouches, but can't seem to find them.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

whatever you do, do NOT get the unkle mikes belly band. at the beggining of my shift it's around my chest, and by call-in time its around my navel. try to find something with a strap or two that go over your shoulder like this one http://action-direct.com/234.htm i hear this one is pretty good, and will propbably switch to it myself.

Comment

I just use an blackhawk iwb holster for my G26. Just slip it inside the strap and its good to go. I do like the look of that pocket though.
          "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

As is standard on this forum, there will be a long list of people who say this approach is stupid/dangerous/ineffective etc. I actually welcome these comments to set me straight if I'm putting myself in danger.

But, I felt innovative so...
            I use an outer vest carrier, and had the maker sew in a panel of codura to the inside of the carrier sewn only on the top and bottom. Think of a "hoodie" pocket on your chest. I had them line this with velcro (soft side) on both sides, and now use a Crossbreed Ojai velcro backed holster inside the pocket.

The arm openings of the vest are low enough for easy reach in. With the velcro on both sides I can place the weapon for easy strong/weak side access. The Ojai holster is secure as hell, and since it's kydex its impervious to the elements/sweat. With the velcro I can easily relocate for grip position, cant, comfort, etc. simply and quickly.

I've carried a G22, and a P229 (Neither small weapons) and neither I, nor the public nor other officers know I'm carrying there. (surprisingly little "man b00b" effect)

Since the weapon sits behind the vest and trauma/ballistic plate there's no need for additional armor. However, I added another trauma plate pouch to the inside of my new pocket and slipped a trauma plate in at the beginning. I found it added no measureable comfort improvement, so I have taken it out, and it sits in my bag on the passenger seat. Never know when that tiny extra bit of armor will save your life. Granted, the round will have to penetrate the original vest, and get around the BUG (if it's still there) before hitting trauma plate #2, but it's all about that .001% chance.

Here is a pic of the holster, and a mockup I gave to my carrier maker. He really wanted to sell me an elastic strap doohickey that was sewn into the vest, but he liked the result of my creativity. Oh yeah, the red box is obviously the pocket, and the green box is the trauma plate pocket.
            Attached Files

Comment

Bianchi Tranzit or Tranzit II works very well on vests that have removable side straps. I have tried several small pistols and even my duty gun in it and it does that job very nicely. Definatly worth a look.

Comment

There would need to be alot more information of that "fragmentation panel" before I'd get all warm and fuzzy buying one of those.

Listing those 3 large Calif PD's along with their test results would help immensely.
                NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

OBP, my weapon sits behind the vest itself, under OEM trauma panel and vest. I would assume that then frag wouldn't be more of a problem than normal. The biggeest risk I see outright is blunt force injury in a car crash, which, I guess is a lot more likely to happen than a gun shot.

Comment

i like useing an iwb holster and i hide it behind my mag pouch for the summer and times i'm not wearing a jacket. when wearing a jacket i like to use a shoulder rig under the jacket

Comment

Here is another option....http://www.10-24products.com/

Comment

That looks interesting. Anyone use it? I wonder how that would work with an Impact ST semi hard plate.
                        Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalBugPkt
                          Vest holsters are great and generally offer comfort and concealment. However, should a round strike your weapon you are certain to suffer injuries from bullet fragmentation. The maker of the Original Bug Pocket vest holster had three large California police departments test for such an event and the evidence was conclusive. That's why the Original Bug Pocket is equipped with a ballistic fragmentation plate that was tested by those same departments. Can you imagine how ****ed you'd be if you were injured from a bullet fragment(s) that your vest could have easily absorbed had the round struck your vest rather than your unprotected vest holster. Just something to think about.
                          I'm a little confused... Are you saying it's better to take a round full-on into the vest, rather than take a small piece of bullet fragment that ricochet's off of a back-up gun? If so, I'm not quite following your logic, please explain.

Comment

who makes a good one for the LCP....?
                            SOON----GLOCK 23
                            REMINGTON 870 POLICE PUMP-TACTICAL
                            SMITH&WESSON 642 AIRWEIGHT....5+P
                            RUGER LCP .380 W CT LASER SIGHT

SOON:
                            S&W M&P 15-22

Comment

Originally posted by Bigtexan44
                              So do you have to sew in the BUG pocket to your vest or does it just velcro on using your existing straps with no modification done to the vest?
                              Sewn to the carrier.

Oilman - the LCP will fit. There are 2 different sizes to choose from.
                              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4066 users online. 211 members and 3855 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X