300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HK UMP vs MP5 Series

I was curious if anybody that has fired both could give some insight on the pro/cons of each. I had the opportunity to fire an MP5A3 (Navy trigger), and was very impressed with the smooth operation and accuracy. I have heard from others that the UMP series is not as smooth. Additionally, I was curious as to whether or not the MP10 is still in production.
    A.F.& A.M.
    "Fortitudine Vinicimus" By Endurance we conquer.
    "Rangers Lead the Way."

I've had trigger time with an MP5 in 40 and 9, both have been very slick. I've played with a UMP, but wasn't able to get any range time with it. It handled nicely is really all I can say about it, didn't feel as "smooth" as the MP5, though.

What is the MP10? I'm assuming you're referring to the MP5/10 aka the 10mm MP5. I'm not sure if it is still in production, though I would doubt it. IIRC, the FBI was the only agency that bought any in numbers and the 10mm has all but died as a fighting caliber since the 40 debuted.
    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

I have fired both side by side sorta..one was .40 one was 9mm......apples and oranges kinda thing, This was right as the UMP came out back in 98 soooo that being said I prefer the MP5 as it had much less recoil but if I had a vertical forgrip on the UMP i would probably have liked it better.
      Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeper
        ...I'm assuming you're referring to the MP5/10 aka the 10mm MP5. I'm not sure if it is still in production, though I would doubt it. IIRC, the FBI was the only agency that bought any in numbers and the 10mm has all but died as a fighting caliber since the 40 debuted.
        Yes, that is what I meant. I was looking at it as a comparison to the UMP45, basically in terms of SMG's that are available in calibers other than 9X19 and .40.
        A.F.& A.M.
        "Fortitudine Vinicimus" By Endurance we conquer.
        "Rangers Lead the Way."

Comment

Mp5

By far the MP5 over the UMP. The UMP is lighter to carry, but shooting wise, the MP5 is smooth and very accurate in skill hands. My department has both MP5SD1 and the UMP40. The higher power UMP was harder to stay on target in full auto and the trigger was rough compared to the MP5. My choice is MP5.

Comment

Having attended most of the training at the HK International Training Division in Sterling (for their Armourers Courses) and in Loudoun County (tactical training courses), the UMP is not as comfortable to use an HK MP-5A3(N) which to me is soooooo sweet! The UMP isn't a bad firearm, however we had issues of these little polymer ears breaking off the hammer during installation - though I am sure that by now these have been reinforced.

Shooting wise, a .9mm will always be more contollable than the .45ACP UMP-45. Great gun though all the same, light, easy to manuever and carry for long periods of time.

MP-5 is still be better submachine gun and I feel will still last longer (rounds fired and wear-and-tear) than any of the UMP series.

Comment

I think I read somewhere on HKPro.com that the UMP was designed frome the get-go to be a lower-cost alternative to the MP5 for departments with less funding. I haven't seen enough fact to confirm or deny this statement, but if it's true then maybe that's why it doesn't quite "feel as smooth" as the MP5 as others here have said.

Comment

Ump 40

This Summer my Dept. purchased two UMP 40's w/ the 2 shot fire select feature. My impression is that is indeed inferior to the MP5's that I have previously trained with. The trigger is and the sights are just OK.

I don't know what the Hell they were thinking when they bought into the 2 shot auto feature when here in NJ it's the same course of Fire as a full auto

I might also add that no imput at all was sought from two of the four firearms instructors.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5837 users online. 359 members and 5478 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X