300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed Firearms !!!

Two weeks ago, I had never even held a gun in my life. Today I qualified at academy. 2 consecutive qualifying scores today, one tonight with the flashlight. Very happy with the progress I made. Thanks to those of you who contributed last week with hints on how to cure my "left hook" on all my shots. By not jerking the trigger and concentrating on a nice, smooth pull with the trigger and being "surprised" everytime the gun fired really helped. Thanks again-- next stop, the driving pad in 2 weeks !
    "Hey handsome...catch any speeders today" ???

Great News!!

Im in the same situation as you.

I never held a gun too in my life until 2 weeks ago. Funny thing was that I shot my all time best. a 85 the first time out on the range, then the second week, my score dropped to a 61.

I been practicing dry firing with a penny on top of my sights. im getting there, during lunch break, i drive down to the range and do the "dummy rounds excerise" saw very good improvment.

I have 2 more weeks until we have to qualify. im hoping i can do the same as you. my problem is that my shots are going to the bottom left and im anticpating the recoil. The range master saids i have a "twitch" before the shot. which is why im missing all my rounds back at the 25 yard.

Comment

Gee, that sounds a little familiar- I have heard the exact same thing the past two weeks. From the 25 yd line, you want to focus, focus, focus on that front sight. The silouhette(spelling ?) target should be a little fuzzy, but that front sight should be crystal clear on center mass. From there, a gentle press straight back on the trigger is all you need. The gun should literally surprise the dickens out of you when it goes off; this eliminates that anticipation of the shot. Good luck and keep up the penny drill- practice makes permanent.
      "Hey handsome...catch any speeders today" ???

Comment

Congrats, WCJC!

Comment

Qualifying

I am real supprised that you are being taught to "be supprised" by each shot.
          I train my students to realize and know when the gun is going to fire and to be in as relaxed a state as possible and that the recoil is of no concern and to just go with it. The issue of anticipating recoil is one I have had to work many students through. There is simply no common handgun made that has a recoil that is so nasty that one needs to give it a second thought. Well I will make one exception. The S&W 500 magnum is a tad nasty but ya just smile and roll with it. I am glad to see that you folks are doing well and wish you all the best in your coming qualifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelRivers
            I am real supprised that you are being taught to "be supprised" by each shot.
            I train my students to realize and know when the gun is going to fire and to be in as relaxed a state as possible and that the recoil is of no concern and to just go with it. The issue of anticipating recoil is one I have had to work many students through. There is simply no common handgun made that has a recoil that is so nasty that one needs to give it a second thought. Well I will make one exception. The S&W 500 magnum is a tad nasty but ya just smile and roll with it. I am glad to see that you folks are doing well and wish you all the best in your coming qualifiers.

Mr. Rivers, what type of CREDS. do you have for teaching firearms and do you teach Law Enforcement People. (I hope not) You don't have to reply to this if you don't want to.

Comment

reply to DETSGT

Well for Starters
              Its Ms Colonel Rivers
              My list of credentials is fairly extensive. I originally worked in LE training back in the 80's and then certified to work with civilians. Unfortunately the only certs recognized by Oregon for civilian classes are the Ones given by NRA.
              I am currently certified to do Self defense, Concealed carry, Hunters safety, Advanced rifle pistol and shotgun. I am State certified to do Armed security training as well as unarmed.
              My traning practices have worked well and the local PD's send their students that need help to us a lot because when they come back to qualify with the PD they do well. I dont teach tactics and this sort of thing as this is up to the department. I simply dont want the liability of trying to teach tactics when I have zero idea of each individual departments training protcols.
              Any way SGT I stand behind my training techniques fully because they WORK.
              My student go into a qualifier relaxed and confident that they are going to do well and they do.
              If you have not read my recent post of " Flight of the Eagle Qualifier" you should. I step outside the box all the time and use many off the wall ideas and drills to get students to shoot well and not be afraid of the gun/ recoil.
              I am sick and tired of trainers who coddle these kids. The recoil is not even an issue with shooting unless you are so weak that you cant hold onto the gun.
              Sorry you disagree with my way of doing things but it works and when these kids have to hit the center of mass to save their Bacon they will have the tools to do so.
              Well just in passing. I am sure you probably dont have much use for a female trainer but thats ok too. I am special projects director for Clod Mt Armory and head engineer too. If this makes you uncomfortable come on back and I will give you a list of my other quaifications.
              Please dont take this personally as a slam. I have to buck an uphill battle of neighsayers all time from the Boardroom to the firing line to the machine shop.
              Im on top of the pile here so that says something does'nt it.
              Keep up the great work and come on back and lets talk more. I love the forum and the oportunity it gives us to swap ideas and learn from each other.
              OH SGT If you care to be critical do so in a contructive way. Be specific as to what you disagree with not just toss out sarcasm.
              best to ya
              Ms CR
              Last edited by ColonelRivers; 09-04-2005, 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Ms Rivers
                Your certs. look very impressive and I am sure you are proud of them as you should be. I will not get into a who knows more contest with you other than to say I have lived through several shoot outs been forced to take several lives and am still teaching people how to shoot at 59 years old.

P.S. In my exp. knowing when the shot will break leads to anticipation or flinching.
                Last edited by DETSGT; 09-04-2005, 08:31 PM.

Comment

reply to DETSGT

Sir you have my respect.
                  Taking a life is definately not something any of us wants to do but we chose the line of work we are or were in and when that grim task calls we must respond.
                  My father was a professional man with guns. He started me off at around age 5 with a handgun and his big thing was not to flinch and always know when your gun was going to go bang and to have everything just right when it does. I certainly can respect any one who has had to use a gun in the line of duty. My travels have seen me pull a gun 3 times in the face of grave danger and the threat was very real, all three times the agressor thought better of pushing the confrontation, for that I am glad. I really did not want to kill any of them particularly but was ready and quite capable of doing so.
                  Bottom line here I think is that we have different styles of training but both of us want the same goal and that is to keep the ones in harms way that may have need to use their guns as safe and as capable as possible to win a gun fight.

One of my driving forces when we started developing the Thunder Boss was to give an officer who is faced with grave danger and in many cases way too far from any backup a Sledge hammer that no attacker is going to survive a hit from.
                  Sgt I do hope that some day we can meet in person. I will be at shot show 2006 in the LE section at Cloud Mt booth if you happen to be there stop and see me,
                  Best to you and thanks for the response
                  Ms CR

Comment

Col. Rivers, the 'surprise break' has been an integral part of firearms training at least since the 20's (I have several books from the period that mention it). If your method works for your students, fine. My students have been able to do well with the 'surprise break', and I will continue to train it.

The essence of the technique is that you are relaxed, keeping the sights in your 'wobble area', and applying a steady pressure to the trigger until the gun goes off. This is a target shooting technique, that is 'compressed' for combat.

And at the Academy when I was the lead firearms instructor, female instructors were always welcome. Anyone with the skills was welcome. With over 5,000 agency trainees, there was only one we could not train to a satisfactory level. That person lost the job - a good thing.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Just looking up old posts instead of starting new ones.

Swole, did you do well on your qualifying?

We have been to the range 3 times in as many weeks. Firearms is usually in the 6th-7th week of the academy for us. I am doing well with the firearm so far. I hit about 2/3 of my shots today in the target area at 25 yards. I don't seem to have serious issues, but just need to get more familar with drawing and firing. I think one of the parts in qualifying is drawing and firing 2 shots in 3 seconds and 3 shots in 4 seconds or something of that nature. We have been doing drills with non-firing rounds to test if we have a smooth trigger pull and to learn how to slap and rack if there is a malfunction. There put 6 non-fire rounds in the magazine of 15 so we never know when one is coming. This seems to be one of the few areas that send recruits packing from the academy.

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was wondering how long LE train at the academy? Someone posted and said they had never used a gun before 2 weeks ago...and I noticed in another thread someone bashed a 22 yr old for having a handgun and claiming they were not mature enough to have one.
                        Just wondering what the thoughts are.

- Zipcreature
                        THIS POST IS NOT DIRECTED TO ANY ONE.

Comment

Depends on the state/agency. Our people went to FLETC for 2 months, then to our agency specific academy for another 2 months.
                          FLETC = Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
                          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5626 users online. 319 members and 5307 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X